• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Benicia next month for work

b1ack5mith

imported post

Hey everyone, I'm going to be working in Benicia, and I google mapped it, and the nearest school to the house I'll be at is 1800+ feet. I will most likely be carrying my Ruger Blackhawk .357 in a western rig (ofcourse I will be wearing my cowboy boots and western clothes!). Do I have to keep all the ammo VISABLE in the ammo belt, and none in the revolver? Out here, I keep 4 rounds in it, chambers 0 and 1 are empty when I carry it (And I will have my UT CWP by the time I move out there... not that it will help me at all in CA). But I plan on maintaining UT residency. Will I be hassled alot out there for carrying? I'll probably be a chicken about carrying "deep" in town, but I plan on carrying on the shore alot (I love fishing!)

Any OCers in Benicia that I can befriend?

I would much rather stay here, however, you have to go where the money is right? So I will have to help support our cause in CA!! :celebrate

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm going to be working in Benicia, and I google mapped it, and the nearest school to the house I'll be at is 1800+ feet. I will most likely be carrying my Ruger Blackhawk .357 in a western rig (ofcourse I will be wearing my cowboy boots and western clothes!). Do I have to keep all the ammo VISABLE in the ammo belt, and none in the revolver? Out here, I keep 4 rounds in it, chambers 0 and 1 are empty when I carry it (And I will have my UT CWP by the time I move out there... not that it will help me at all in CA). But I plan on maintaining UT residency. Will I be hassled alot out there for carrying? I'll probably be a chicken about carrying "deep" in town, but I plan on carrying on the shore alot (I love fishing!)

I would much rather stay here, however, you have to go where the money is right? So I will have to help support our cause in CA!! :celebrate
You may keep ammuntion for your revolver where ever you please, except in the chambers. Because of the nature of your western rig and attire, many will believe that you are in costume and believe your firearm is a prop- this may delay observers calling you in as a MWAG. However, the practice in the bay area is very contraversial. Expect to be detained for at minimum a 12031 (e) check. I would not inject the fact that you are licensed in Utahin the event you have a police encounter.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

Hi, b1ack5smith, I live in San Jose (about50 miS of Benicia) I have a Utah CFP andyou're right, itain't no good in thePRK.

When You coming down? I'll be driving to Utah where I have a house in Highland (to sign the lease agreement with a new tenant). Maybe as we pass on 80we can wave to each other, lol.

As for open carry, I agree, you may be confused with just someone in costume. I understand that if you have an open wheel gun you can carry the ammo anywhere you want. Even in your pocket if you want.

Maybe you can attend one of the future meets? Check out other post re: dates. The East Bay, where Benecia is located, has many meets in nearby cities like Walnut Creek, Concord, Vallejo.

btw, I'd like to see what you look like when you open carry in cowboy outfit. Any pictures?

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Do I REALLY have to report when I import a firearm into CA!? to whom?
That little tyke probably knows more about fishing than I do. Good on him!

Here is some info for you:

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report.
pdficon.gif
[PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#24

b1ack5mith

imported post

From what I am reading, I only have to fill out the form for the DOJ if I am a CA resident... I need to look further into this...

*edit* Just googled it, and it appears that I will not need to fill out any paperwork so long as I am not a CA resident! :D

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hawaii FiveO wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
Do I REALLY have to report when I import a firearm into CA!? to whom?
That little tyke probably knows more about fishing than I do. Good on him!

Here is some info for you:

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report.
Pls fix your link!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Ok so I just read that thing... I have to go to a Firearms dealer, and he can get the paperwork for me?

Also, I am not going to be a CA resident, Do I still need to do the New resident BS?

*ALSO (3rd edit)* I just thought of a possible "loophole"... I must inform the DOJ within 60 days correct? What if I leave back to UT before then? I ask this because... I will be returning to UT every 2-6 weeks, then going back to CA again after visiting UT

I think its the same as when I moved there in 2001 - you just mail in the form to DOJ - do it - don't play games while actually residing there but claiming domicile elsewhere for an extended period of time. The police are checking serial numbers of guns carried by open carries and you will be charged with failing to report importation if you have a residence in Calif and commute back and forth.

Also, let's use correct terms: domicile & actual residence are the two key terms.

Once somebody finds the correct link to the form, you can see what they asked - in 2001 they wanted my SSN or CA DL - as I did not have a CA DL, I gave them neither citing Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act as my reason - they sent me a letter confirming my registration - good luck!

PS. If your employer lists your CA address on tax paperwork you will be paying CA income taxes and filing ca income tax returns - see a tax advisor given your temporary work situation in CA as CA tax authorities relentlessly pursue peoplew for income taxes years after they leave california.

b1ack5mith

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

You may keep ammuntion for your revolver where ever you please, except in the chambers. Because of the nature of your western rig and attire, many will believe that you are in costume and believe your firearm is a prop- this may delay observers calling you in as a MWAG. However, the practice in the bay area is very contraversial. Expect to be detained for at minimum a 12031 (e) check. I would not inject the fact that you are licensed in Utahin the event you have a police encounter.

I will be very careful where I carry, and I will tell the PD (in person) that I will be carrying, so if they get any MWAG calls, they will know (HOPEFULLY) that I am within the law. Most of the time I will be carrying while fishing.

Have any of you guys been ARRESTED for this yet?

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

I will be very careful where I carry, and I will tell the PD (in person) that I will be carrying, so if they get any MWAG calls, they will know (HOPEFULLY) that I am within the law. Most of the time I will be carrying while fishing.

Have any of you guys been ARRESTED for this yet?
Yep, false arrested. They like to call it "detainment" though, in order to get away with violating CA PC 236 and Title 18, U.S.C., Sections 241, 242, and 14141.

Maddoggie13

imported post

Welcome to the Solano county, b1ack5smith....:cool:

I'm at the next town over...if you have any questions about keeping your handgun in CA, talk to Aris (theowner)of Triple A's Sporting Goods at 1405 Georgia Street, #D (707)647-1997. Tell Aris you are new in town and "Thomas" send you there. Aris will take care of you. I been around the area for 12 years now. If you need help from where to eat or have fun, please let me know. My wife and I could meet you in downtown Benicia for coffee if you have any questions. Hope to see you at the upcomingVallejo OC event.

b1ack5mith

imported post

We will definately have to hang out! Is Aris into the OC scene as well? I can't believe I'm actually excited about this CA thing! I'm sure going to miss Sgt. Jensen though :/ (on the Utah OCDO forum)

Maddoggie13

imported post

Aris watches me on TV while I open carry and we talk about it in his shop all the time. He can take care of any necessary paperwork.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
From what I am reading, I only have to fill out the form for the DOJ if I am a CA resident... I need to look further into this...

*edit* Just googled it, and it appears that I will not need to fill out any paperwork so long as I am not a CA resident! :D

Be advised, in CA "resident" is different than having a "domicile" here. If you live here and work here I'm about 99% sure you're a resident. (Edward Peruta is contesting this fact in court right now to claim he is a resident for purposes of obtaining a CCW permit.)

Double-check your homework. Beyond importation of a handgun, this rule goes doubly so for open carry. We have a LOT of ways to commit crimes while in possession of a firearm in this state. I'd hate to hear of another person getting arrested/charged/etc for being naive of our silly laws.

www.californiaopencarry.org

Maddoggie13

imported post

Sorry, no hunting or fishing licences...just lot and lotof guns at a great prices. You will need to go up to Walmart at America Canyon or Big 5 Sporting Goods in Vallejo.