• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinkin about moving to Idaho. CPL ?'s

Nathan9493

imported post

My wife and I are wanting to move to Idaho by August. I have a CPL in Wa, But didn't have to take a class, although I took one anyways. Do I have to in Idaho, or Just apply at the local LEO's office?

ecocks

imported post

There is no state-mandated training course. Counties have wide discretion in establishing their standards. When I moved to Meridian, Ada County, they accepted my certificate of training from TN. The Ada County Sheriff's Dept. runs a handgun class (no rangetime) which suffices (for Ada County)if necessary. Impact and some other folks run training as well, with and without, rangetime included,

So, get your training documentation from before and turn it in with your application.

Good Luck!

DBSweetwood

imported post

Washington's permit is good in Idaho. As for training, many sheriffs don't ask for anything, some a hunters safety card is good, and many your old Washington permit would probably suffice for experience/familiarity training.

ecocks

imported post

Although a WA resident permit may not work when you are clearly an Idaho resident.

ecocks

imported post

Also, Ada County will not accept your WA card as or in lieu of proof of training.

DBSweetwood

imported post

Nope, it does(I mean that Idaho will accept the WA permit if you are an Idaho resident). I have checked. I am an Idaho resident, in Hawaii now, but was stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA last. I got the Washington permit because they don't accept Idaho. When my Idaho expired I just let it lapse an kept the Washington permit. Idaho accepts anybody's, whether you are a resident or not.

ecocks

imported post

Odd, that's not what the Ada County Sheriff's Department says. I'll run it by them again though.

DBSweetwood

imported post

TITLE 18 CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS CHAPTER 33 FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS 18-3302.ISSUANCE OF LICENSES TO CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS.

(12) The requirement to secure a license to carry a concealed weapon under this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon. A permit issued in another state will only be considered valid if the permit is in the licensee’s physical possession.

Idaho law is clear. It says nothing of being a citizen of Idaho. Just that if you have a permit from another state or local agency, you are good. As long as you have the permit on you. Many law enforcement agents, even in good places like Idaho are very ignorant of the actual law. They are unfortunately like many people on the internet, and believe what ever someone tells them. No offense, I am on here too, haha. But go to the actual source, the laws. As for Ada County, have them talk to the Idaho State Police, they will tell them that all permits are good, regardless of residence. Unfortunately the Treasure Valley is becoming a "big city" and many of the officers there are transplants from very restrictive state such as California. They just aren't used to being able to tell everyone that they can carry.

And just a sidenote and edit, it would get very interesting for me(by suing the Ada County Sheriff) if while I was home on leave I got arrested in Boise for carrying with a Washington permit as an Idaho resident. But I don't think the judge would let it get very far.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I think you guys are talking about different things. The Washington license is certainly good here for carry, regardless of where you are a resident. Carry away.

It is probably NOT valid as proof of firearms training if you were applying for an Idaho license. You would need to show something else, like the training certificate you received in Washington perhaps, military discharge papers, or the highly recommended (and FREE) 3 hour class Ada County offers once a month.

DBSweetwood

imported post

Your absolutely right, I misread what he was saying. They probably won't take it for training. I know Valley County will though, or that could be just because it is a small town, and they have all known me forever. And know I am in the military and have a hunters ed card, haha, gotta love small towns.

ecocks

imported post

Mind you, I'm no mind reader but suspect that regardless of the law in Idaho, the loss of residence in WA would invalidate your WA permit, unless, of course, it was an out-of-state permit to begin with (which was not the stated case). In my case, TN also has no out-of-state permit, so mychange in residence certainly caused the loss of my TN carry permit and carry privilegeexcept through reciprocity of whatever state I chose for my new residence.

WhenIsubmitted my request for the Idaho permit I did ask about carryingon an out-of-state permit when my license said I lived in Idaho. I was told to simply explain that myapplication waspending with the Ada County Sheriff's Department.

shad0wfax

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Although a WA resident permit may not work when you are clearly an Idaho resident.
That is correct. Your WA CPL is good until you become an ID resident, at which point you must have an ID resident license to carry concealed.

Thankfully, you can open-carry darned near anywhere in ID, including vehicles.

bigwookiee

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Yes, it dose work. I live in idaho right on border with WA. I went8 years ago to get my Idaho perment and they sent me to WA so I did not need to get two and spend over $100.00 in lince fee's. I think the ID permit can be used in more state then the WA permit, however. I also talked to the Idaho AG in person a few years back and he verified that for me.

bigwookiee

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
ecocks wrote:
That is correct. Your WA CPL is good until you become an ID resident, at which point you must have an ID resident license to carry concealed.

WA only has one type of permit. Resident and none resident get the same one. It expires in 5 years. As long as you keep renewing it you are good. Call the AG office if you don't believe me. The law is already posted and is clear any permit from any state will cover you. Most people I know get the Utah one because it is good in more state then the Idaho one. I am not even sure I know anyone with an Idaho permit.

Everyone in my family, with the exception of me (WA permit) and my younger brother (NO PERMIT :what:) who lives in Utah, has a Utah permit.

ecocks

imported post

bigwookiee wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:
ecocks wrote:

WA only has one type of permit. Resident and none resident get the same one. It expires in 5 years. As long as you keep renewing it you are good. Call the AG office if you don't believe me. The law is already posted and is clear any permit from any state will cover you. Most people I know get the Utah one because it is good in more state then the Idaho one. I am not even sure I know anyone with an Idaho permit.

Everyone in my family, with the exception of me (WA permit) and my younger brother (NO PERMIT :what:) who lives in Utah, has a Utah permit.

Took your advice and called the WA state AG since they determine the validity of their permit/license. You might want to read the response I received. To wit:

Dear Mr. Cocks:

On behalf of the Attorney General Robert M. McKenna, thank you for your request for information received February 24, 2010. I am an Assistant Attorney General for the Licensing and Administrative Law Division. I am responsible for firearm reciprocity issues so your letter was forwarded to me for response. In your request you asked whether a Washington concealed pistol license would still be valid in Washington after the licensee has become a resident of another state.

Once a licensee has become a resident of another state, the Washington resident concealed pistol license would not be valid in Washington. The licensee should apply for a new permit in their new home state.

As you noted, Washington does have a non-resident concealed carry license. The process takes 60-days to complete. In order to obtain a non-resident license, the applicant needs to meet the same requirements as Washington residents and pay the licensing fee. Application needs to be done in person at any law enforcement office in the state.

If you have further questions about this, you may contact the Department of Licensing directly:

Mr. Bruce Tanaka, Program Manager

Firearms Program

We were correct Shadowfax. Idaho only recognizes VALID permits from other states.

(g) Any person who has a valid permit from a state or local law enforcement agency or court authorizing him to carry a concealed weapon.

ecocks

imported post

This situation actually provides a damngood justification for getting one of the better-accepted, out-of-state permits like the UT one mentioned above. Covering yourself during the application/transition period could be extremely handy if thecircumstances had you in this situation and you were involved in a stop, domestic situation, altercation, or worse, actual shooting.

Probably worth getting that Utah permit sooner rather than later.