Thread: Seattle Mayor wants legislature to give up its authority...to him!!!

Post imported post

Seattle mayor wants law changed so he can make own rules

Mike McGinn must drink the same water as ex-Mayor Greg Nickels. Both believe Seattle should be a feifdom that sets its own laws, and curtails a civil right at whim.

McGinn wants state Legislature to amend preemption statute, give up some of its authority to HIM!

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seatt...make-own-rules

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/y97yqg9

Post imported post

Thanks again, Dave, for your reporting on this.

I think it's ironic how the judge said that the plaintif's didn't have standing... The reason Bob Warden (?) said he went to the community center open carrying just to get kicked out and have standing to sue.

It works out for all of us in the end.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
    Thanks again, Dave, for your reporting on this.*

I think it's ironic how the judge said that the plaintif's didn't have standing...** The reason Bob Warden (?) said he went to the community center open carrying just to get kicked out and have standing to sue.*

It works out for all of us in the end.**
    Mr. Warden carried concealed. He advised the parks people in advance he was coming.

Post imported post

dave, too bad you can't combine mcginn's attitude with the most recently reported felony fraud conviction

he seems to be so quick to point the finger, WTH is he even doing/or allowed to remain in office with such a conviction that he neglected to disclose...sounds a bit like deception to me

5J7

Post imported post

So it seems there will be no appeal, since McGinn has publicly stated that he agrees with the court in it's interpretation of 9.41.290:

"RCW 9.41.290, which preempts Seattle from regulating the possession of firearms."

Post imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
    dave, too bad you can't combine mcginn's attitude with the most recently reported felony fraud conviction

he seems to be so quick to point the finger, WTH is he even doing/or allowed to remain in office with such a conviction that he neglected to disclose...sounds a bit like deception to me

5J7
    What are you talking about?

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    So it seems there will be no appeal, since McGinn has publicly stated that he agrees with the court in it's interpretation of 9.41.290:

"RCW 9.41.290, which preempts Seattle from regulating the possession of firearms."
    And what are you talking about?
    I presume you're getting this from his desire to change the state law.
    That's a stretch from "publicly stated that he agrees with the court."

Post imported post

In your article you quote him as agreeing that 9.41.270 keeps Seattle from regulating guns.

That's also what the court said.

So if he agrees with what the court said, why would he appeal?

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    5jeffro7 wrote:

5J7
    Not sure if this is what jeffro is refering to:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...shnell05m.html
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

deanf wrote:
    In your article you quote him as agreeing that 9.41.270 keeps Seattle from regulating guns.

That's also what the court said.

So if he agrees with what the court said, why would he appeal?
    Because he's an arrogant a** who should suffer the same fate as Nickels in four years, but I digress. The City would appeal to try to get the Court of Apples or the Court of Final Error to overturn the pre-emption statute. If they could get such a ruling then they could do whatever the heck they want to and force us to risk arrest and then rely solely on constitutional arguments.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

Nickels was from Chicago. McGinn is from New York. I see a weird pattern here. Poland used to get their leaders from outside their own borders, too. Look at what happened to them throughout history. They once disappeared from the map for (I think) about 100 years.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

He isn't alone, we must be watchful of this. Bellingham is in favor of changing state law and has stated they would lobby Olympia for the right to make these rules. I am positive that many officials of our most populated cities will agree with Seattle's mayor.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    He isn't alone, we must be watchful of this. Bellingham is in favor of changing state law and has stated they would lobby Olympia for the right to make these rules. I am positive that many officials of our most populated cities will agree with Seattle's mayor.
    Well, then, it's up to you to challenge them and replace them with people who agree with Judge Shaffer.

Post imported post

I keep getting a 403.

Worse, I'm not familiar with enough of my hometown's history to be sure what's going on. Is this a revocation of power thing? :shock:

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Well, then, it's up to you to challenge them and replace them with people who agree with Judge Shaffer.

We are working on it.

Whatcom county for the first time in a very long time has a majority conservative counsel.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

These Mayors forget the reason behind RCW 9.41.290. It was enacted so there would not be a different law in every City or County of the State. Seems like this is just exactly what the Mayors are arguing for, different rules for them regardless of the rest of the State.

Mayor McGinn is an example of the old saying "People elect the government they deserve". Seattle deserves dumbasses like him.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

amlevin wrote:
    These Mayors forget the reason behind RCW 9.41.290.* It was enacted so there would not be a different law in every City or County of the State.* Seems like this is just exactly what the Mayors are arguing for, different rules for them regardless of the rest of the State.

Mayor McGinn is an example of the old saying "People elect the government they deserve".* Seattle deserves dumbasses like him.
    Yeah, well the rest of us don't, and that's essentially what we'd have if this POS New Yawker convinces the Legislature to hand over its authority to him.

Your comment might just be the inspiration for my next Examiner column. Don't worry, there will be a bad guy, and you ain't him.

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    5jeffro7 wrote:

5J7
    I could have sworn that friday, on the way to work, there was a blurb on the radio about McGinn having a felony fraud conviction that wasn't disclosed in any of his political paperwork...I may have heard wrong, blended several stories together or totally imagined things; which is entirely possible, having been running on 3 hours of sleep

Post imported post

5jeffro7 wrote:
    Dave Workman wrote:
    5jeffro7 wrote:

5J7
    I could have sworn that friday, on the way to work, there was a blurb on the radio about McGinn having a felony fraud conviction that wasn't disclosed in any of his political paperwork...I may have heard wrong, blended several stories together or totally imagined things; which is entirely possible, having been running on 3 hours of sleep
    i do believe that it is one of his advisers or somebody like that in his inner circle that didnt disclose a conviction for some missdeed in the past.
    but, and its a big but,,, the mayor did in fact know about it personally, and also kept it to him self, thats worse than the deed it self!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    i do believe that it is one of his advisers or somebody like that in his inner circle that didnt disclose a conviction for some missdeed in the past.
    but, and its a big but,,, the mayor did in fact know about it personally, and also kept it to him self, thats worse than the deed it self!
    Well, let's not do a bunch of speculating here.

Let's stick to what we actually know, and can document.

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    Well, let's not do a bunch of speculating here.

Let's stick to what we actually know, and can document.
    http://www.publicola.net/2010/02/03/...al-background/

Bushnell was convicted of fraud in 1995 (a felony conviction) and misrepresented his educational background (felony if I remember correctly based on recent law passed by legislature).

There is no evidence that the mayor knew about it but it doesn't show great judgment on the mayor's part.

Post imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
    amlevin wrote:
    These Mayors forget the reason behind RCW 9.41.290. It was enacted so there would not be a different law in every City or County of the State. Seems like this is just exactly what the Mayors are arguing for, different rules for them regardless of the rest of the State.

Mayor McGinn is an example of the old saying "People elect the government they deserve". Seattle deserves dumbasses like him.
    Yeah, well the rest of us don't, and that's essentially what we'd have if this POS New Yawker convinces the Legislature to hand over its authority to him.

Your comment might just be the inspiration for my next Examiner column. Don't worry, there will be a bad guy, and you ain't him.

Don't worry Dave, I'm all growed up and besides, I live outside Seattle. I only have to deal with morons LIKE him, not the original model.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

McGinn's response is exactly why my constitutional claimsneed togo forward in federal court. Currently, state law COULD be changed to allow locals to take away our right to bear arms. If my claims prevail, it would take constitutional amendments (plural) to do that

Bob Warden
    Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. -The Who