Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: OC on the Scotland Ferry

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.

    There was NO Security anywhere. I guess the budget ax got them. No one even noticed I was OC'ing as far as I could tell and I did have a lot of spectators while I hung over the side taking pictures.

    No issues at the restaurant and a great meal.

    The Pelican finally behaved...











  2. #2
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    Nice shots. What are you using?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    BTW - Peter OCs his camera too - he ain't shy - does nice work doesn't he.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Post imported post

    I make several trips a month back & forth on the ferryboat. Loss of the hired security folks must be fairly recent, as I chatted with them as recently as Jan 21st.

    I'll miss the drama of having the underside of my vehicle looked at while carrying half a dozen rifles on the back seat that never got glanced at.

    Peter - you'll get more cooperation from the pelicans if you bring some sliced bread. IIRC the "world's record" is 3 slices in the beak at once while coasting on the breeze along side the Pocahontas.

    stay safe.

    skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    t33j wrote:
    Nice shots. What are you using?
    Thank you Gentlemen!

    Canon 7D, Canon L series 100-400.

  6. #6
    Regular Member t33j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    King George, VA
    Posts
    1,384

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    Thank you Gentlemen!
    Canon 7D, Canon L series 100-400.
    Good to see you're not screwing around!
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

  7. #7
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    Mmm. Haven't been to the Surrey House in AGES!

    That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

    My father LOVED the shad roe they used to serve there.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    Mmm. Haven't been to the Surrey House in AGES!

    That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

    My father LOVED the shad roe they used to serve there.
    It's still great and the prices are good. I love that area. It's still a rural farming area despite being on water.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    Mmm. Haven't been to the Surrey House in AGES!

    That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

    My father LOVED the shad roe they used to serve there.
    It's still great and the prices are good. I love that area. It's still a rural farming area despite being on water.
    OC dinner outing in the future?

    That would be unique and different.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    wylde007 wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    Mmm. Haven't been to the Surrey House in AGES!

    That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

    My father LOVED the shad roe they used to serve there.
    It's still great and the prices are good. I love that area. It's still a rural farming area despite being on water.
    OC dinner outing in the future?

    That would be unique and different.

    Yata hey
    Yep...That would be an event.
    It's central enough to get OC'ers from Tidewater, Central Va and the elusive Waverly area.

    Read the Grumbling Gourmet review
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=3666

    Oh...they have something right down your alley Grape




  11. #11
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    OC dinner outing in the future?

    That would be unique and different.
    I would consider making that trip, for sure... even from VB.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    OC dinner outing in the future?

    That would be unique and different.
    I would consider making that trip, for sure... even from VB.
    Tentative plans - talking stage - being discussed with ad hoc committee now for warmer weather.

    yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Tentative plans - talking stage - being discussed with ad hoc committee now for warmer weather.
    Please keep us (me) posted.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Tentative plans - talking stage - being discussed with ad hoc committee now for warmer weather.
    Please keep us (me) posted.
    Definitely will do - would likely will be on a Saturday instead of the normal Tues. evening.

    Might include side trip to Williamsburg or similar in conjunction with the dinner.

    Anticipate as a spring event - thread would be posted approx. 2 weeks in advance.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Virginiaplanter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    402

    Post imported post

    Is this the place?

    http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

    The food sounds great but they serve Pepsi not Coke. That might be a deal breaker.


    Someday when I become rich, I might buy an L series lens for my camera. At least we know who has the money on this board.

  16. #16
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    Virginiaplanter wrote:
    Is this the place?
    The very same.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    Virginiaplanter wrote:
    Is this the place?

    http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

    The food sounds great but they serve Pepsi not Coke. That might be a deal breaker.

    Someday when I become rich, I might buy an L series lens for my camera. At least we know who has the money on this board.
    That's the place.

    Coke vs Pepsi - knew there was sumthin' I liked about the place.

    Understand that Peter is a dirt poor farmer who spends all of his money on toys and dog food.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Prince William Co, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    105

    Post imported post

    t33j wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    Thank you Gentlemen!
    Canon 7D, Canon L series 100-400.
    Good to see you're not screwing around!
    Concur - nice rig and great shots! Funny how common questions crop up. Hadn't even scrolled past the pics when I thought, "Wow, nice shots. Wonder what he's using..."

    One day L-glass will be in my bag...but sadly not anytime soon.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    lol.. peter finds any excuse at all to post his pictures on a public forum and "make it" oc related. made me laugh.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
    lol.. peter finds any excuse at all to post his pictures on a public forum and "make it" oc related. made me laugh.


  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    I like the idea of a dinner in a place where we could combine the "service areas" of Tidewater and Richmond. I would like to see some of the Richmond people more often than just Lobby Day.

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I like the idea of a dinner in a place where we could combine the "service areas" of Tidewater and Richmond. I would like to see some of the Richmond people more often than just Lobby Day.
    I just rediscovered that I -64 is a 2-way interstate - so we'll see you on Wed.

    I really like the midway meet up idea too. Found out today that Surryhouse's largest room will accommodate 50 - 55 people. May need to see what they can do were we to generate more confirmations than that.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Dutch Uncle wrote:
    I like the idea of a dinner in a place where we could combine the "service areas" of Tidewater and Richmond. I would like to see some of the Richmond people more often than just Lobby Day.
    Sounds like a good idea. I haven't been to the Surry House in several years.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  24. #24
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    2a4all wrote:
    I haven't been to the Surry House in several years.
    I've never been there, but my parent always spoke highly of the place.

    This sounds like a great plan.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •