• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on the Scotland Ferry

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.

There was NO Security anywhere. I guess the budget ax got them. No one even noticed I was OC'ing as far as I could tell and I did have a lot of spectators while I hung over the side taking pictures.

No issues at the restaurant and a great meal.

The Pelican finally behaved...

IMG_1354conIfly1354.jpg

normal_IMG_1364pel1IMG_1364.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BTW - Peter OCs his camera too - he ain't shy - does nice work doesn't he.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I make several trips a month back & forth on the ferryboat. Loss of the hired security folks must be fairly recent, as I chatted with them as recently as Jan 21st.

I'll miss the drama of having the underside of my vehicle looked at while carrying half a dozen rifles on the back seat that never got glanced at.

Peter - you'll get more cooperation from the pelicans if you bring some sliced bread. IIRC the "world's record" is 3 slices in the beak at once while coasting on the breeze along side the Pocahontas.

stay safe.

skidmark

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
We went to dinner at the Surrey House and took the Ferry over. Actually, I made several round trips. A Pelican and I had a disagreement over poses.
Mmm. Haven't been to the Surrey House in AGES!

That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

My father LOVED the shad roe they used to serve there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

That used to be a favorite stop-off when we rode up that way when I was a young'in.

It's still great and the prices are good. I love that area. It's still a rural farming area despite being on water.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

It's still great and the prices are good. I love that area. It's still a rural farming area despite being on water.
OC dinner outing in the future?

That would be unique and different.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Yata hey
Yep...That would be an event.
It's central enough to get OC'ers from Tidewater, Central Va and the elusive Waverly area.

Read the Grumbling Gourmet review:lol:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=3666

Oh...they have something right down your alley Grape:lol:

balls.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

I would consider making that trip, for sure... even from VB.
Tentative plans - talking stage - being discussed with ad hoc committee now for warmer weather.

yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Tentative plans - talking stage - being discussed with ad hoc committee now for warmer weather.
Please keep us (me) posted.:)
Definitely will do - would likely will be on a Saturday instead of the normal Tues. evening.

Might include side trip to Williamsburg or similar in conjunction with the dinner.

Anticipate as a spring event - thread would be posted approx. 2 weeks in advance.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Is this the place?

http://www.surreyhouserestaurant.com/

The food sounds great but they serve Pepsi not Coke. That might be a deal breaker.

Someday when I become rich, I might buy an L series lens for my camera. At least we know who has the money on this board.
That's the place.

Coke vs Pepsi - knew there was sumthin' I liked about the place. :)

Understand that Peter is a dirt poor farmer who spends all of his money on toys and dog food. :lol:

Yata hey

AIC869

imported post

t33j wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Thank you Gentlemen!:lol:
Canon 7D, Canon L series 100-400.
Good to see you're not screwing around!
Concur - nice rig and great shots! Funny how common questions crop up. Hadn't even scrolled past the pics when I thought, "Wow, nice shots. Wonder what he's using..."

One day L-glass will be in my bag...but sadly not anytime soon. :)