• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LAPD Working Private Club Security in Suit w/ Open Carry & Badge Hanging Around Neck

cali90027

imported post

Today I was at a club where the doorman/private security guard was wearing plain clothes (a suit) and had his LAPD badge hanging around his neck. He was also openly carrying.

I was wondering what's the legality of an LAPD officer working a private security detail, but has his LAPD badge hanging around his neck.

Is this a conflict of interest? Is he a representative of LAPD/the city even though he is working for a private club?

If something happens and this guard fires his weapon, is he covered by LAPD and backed by his union, or his he on his own since he is working for a private company?

Is this guard a liability for the city? Can a lawsuit be filed against the city/LAPD if something occurs?

Is this scenario common? because I have not seen this before.

oc4ever

imported post

LAPD has along tradition of letting officers moonlight. Remember, they are sworn peace officers 24/7, while at work, or mowing their lawn. This moonlighting dates back to the days when LEO's were poorly paid, not like today, where the police union own the City, and are happy to drive it into bankrupcy.

They have done private security gigs at certain nightclubs for as far back as I can remember. Some retired LAPD officers wear their full uniforms and (slightly smaller) retirement badges and have police style duplicate motorcycles and provide security for movie and television for many productions every day around the Los Angeles area, keeping back people they don't want around. Several active officers control this service, and they do not limit it to just the LA city limits.

cali90027

imported post

Hey, thanks for the info.

So where does the liability fall in situations like these? The private company or the city/LAPD?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Similar case here in North Carolina. Except I normally see officers in Uniform, I am sure there are cases where they are allowed to work out of uniform, not exactly sure on that point though, but they definitely moonlight as security for various venues and facilities.

dirtykoala

imported post

Somewhere on the papd website there is a link with info on how to hire a policeman(men) for your private event. I don't see a problem with it.

Pace

imported post

LAPD officers are not allowed to moonlight representing the department, period. This is a huge debate right now in LA about this. Wearing his LAPD badge aroudn his neck while not on duty could get him fired.

demnogis

imported post

It may have been dignitary service.

You can contact your local PD or other LEA about it. It does come at a price though.

Although, if he were off-duty, then yes other legalities may apply. Those more "in the know" would provide better details from the inside.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, one of the major reasons that the PD unions are against concealed carry security guards is due to the LAPD moonlighting allowance.

It is a great source of extra income, and with it being allowed to only police the cost is higher as well.

Hawaii FiveO

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Somewhere on the papd website there is a link with info on how to hire a policeman(men) for your private event. I don't see a problem with it.

OMG, did you say "policeman (men)? That is so politically incorrect! You may not know this but there are women now doing the same thing as men, that is, being a *police officer*

I remember when my department starting hiring females as police officers (this was way back in 1975) and all the men had to have new badges issued to them with modified wording on the badge. It went from "policeman" to "police officer" Previously the women were known as "matrons" but were not armed and did not have arrest powers.

btw, that department did not allow "moonlighting" out of uniform. (we called it "special duty") All special duty had to be in uniform.

dirtykoala

imported post

Sorry Hawaii, you are right. In my defence, I didn't say you couldn't hire a policewoman.

Superlite27

imported post

Taking pictures are an absolute MUST.

Remember:

For those who peaceably fight for their 2nd Amendment rights documentation is one of the best peaceful weapons you have.

It's just as important as your gun.

ALWAYS have your gun

ALWAYS have a video recorder, camera, or digital voice recorder at the minimum.

What a wonderful peaceful weapon to show the next police officer that says, "Well, carrying a gun will frighten people! We don't want MWAG calls so we would like you to stop UOC'ing because it frightens people."

"Oh yeah, Mr. Officer? Well, if what you say has any credibility, what is this?"

Then whip out your photo of that "scary" POLICE OFFICER in plain clothes open carrying.

But...but....I thought police officers were against "scary" plain clothes people with guns, right?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Sorry Hawaii, you are right. In my defence, I didn't say you couldn't hire a policewoman.

I can't remember where I first heard the joke, but it goes something like this:

"I like that there are more women in [insurt industry here]. They'r easier on the eyes and the payroll budget!"

Oh, were we supposed to be PC here?... I didn't get that memo...

rpyne

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:

I can't remember where I first heard the joke, but it goes something like this:

"I like that there are more women in [insurt industry here]. They'r easier on the eyes and the payroll budget!"

Oh, were we supposed to be PC here?... I didn't get that memo...
It is definitely easier on the budget to hire them than it is to be sued for not hiring them.