Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Hello again, I have another OCing question.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Legal age to own a handgun in Louisiana is 18.
    Legal age to open carry is 17.
    That means, I can legally open carry at 19, right?

    I'm sorry if it's a dumb question, but I was raised with "If ya need an answer about something, ask about it.

    Poster's note: If you cannot be civil towards myself or others posting in this or any of my other threads, then I don't need your post. Please move along. Special note regarding MEM, he is not trying to be uncivil, he's just posting his opinion.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SMITHFIELD, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    18 + 17 / square root of 35 rounded to the nearest whole number plus 6 = YES

  3. #3
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Thank you for your help, your answer was both funny and helpful.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Unless Steven Segall, Lawman, pulls you over on a traffic stop. Then all bets are off. They may demand to see your AARP membership card to get your gun back.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  5. #5
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    I'll just stay out of his jurisdiction. Haha.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, La
    Posts
    175

    Post imported post

    21 to buy
    18 to be in possession

    this meant someone can gift you a handgun at 18 years old.


  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    Slidell Jim wrote:
    21 to buy
    18 to be in possession

    this meant someone can gift you a handgun at 18 years old.
    LRS 14:95.8

    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

    B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.

    (2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.

    (3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

    (4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:

    (1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.

    (2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.

    (3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.

    (4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.

    (5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.

    (6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.

    (7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

    D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.

    Acts 1999, No. 1218, §1.



  8. #8
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Slidell Jim wrote:
    21 to buy
    18 to be in possession

    this meant someone can gift you a handgun at 18 years old.
    21 to buy from a licensed firearms dealer.
    18 to buy from a private citizen.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    the law, if i am not mistaken, says that one may open carry at age 17 eith permission from parent of legal guardian. i know, i can write one myself, lol. but to legally own a handgun you must be at elast 21 yo.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    SickMaker wrote:
    the law, if i am not mistaken, says that one may open carry at age 17 eith permission from parent of legal guardian. i know, i can write one myself, lol. but to legally own a handgun you must be at elast 21 yo.
    Did you read this? Nothing about a note from you mama.

    And please post the law that say's you must be 21 to legally own a hangun.



    LRS 14:95.8

    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Thank you. And yes, please post your source for your post regarding having to be 21 to own a handgun. Because from what I've seen and read, the law clearly states that you have to be 18 to own and purchase from a private citizen. That's just my understanding though.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)



    eat that


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    SickMaker wrote:
    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)



    eat that
    Why don't you do some more checking.



    And what the hell is the "eat that" crap?

    Maybe you need to go to another site and take your 3 post with you if you don't know how to speak to people.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    charlie12 wrote:
    SickMaker wrote:
    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)



    eat that
    Why don't you do some more checking.



    And what the hell is the "eat that" crap?

    Maybe you need to go to another site and take your 3 post with you if you don't know how to speak to people.
    did you even read the provision i published? if any of you did, you would see exactly what it means. also, lrs 14:91 illustrates the sale to a minnor (persons no having obtained the age of 18) so please, fact check me!


  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    oh and i'm sorry it took me so long to get the federal statues...

    The Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1994 and the Youth Crime Gun Interdiction Initiative

    you can read these online at the justice department website. this is where the law restricts FFL dealers from selling handguns to persons under age 21.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Private citizens, as defined by the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act 1986, that private sellers are not obliged to view a person's license to insure their age.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    charlie12 wrote:
    SickMaker wrote:
    the law, if i am not mistaken, says that one may open carry at age 17 eith permission from parent of legal guardian. i know, i can write one myself, lol. but to legally own a handgun you must be at elast 21 yo.
    Did you read this? Nothing about a note from you mama.

    And please post the law that say's you must be 21 to legally own a hangun.



    LRS 14:95.8

    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.
    Are you not satisfied with the federal as well as state sources i have so consistently cited for you?

    ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?


  18. #18
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    charlie12 wrote:
    SickMaker wrote:
    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)

    *

    eat that
    Why don't you do* some more checking.

    *

    And what the hell is the "eat that" crap?

    Maybe you need to go to another site and take your 3 post with you if you don't know how to speak to people.
    I agree. We do our best to act in a civil manner. So, if you can't act decently, we don't need your posts.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Nikki_Black wrote:
    charlie12 wrote:
    SickMaker wrote:
    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)



    eat that
    Why don't you do some more checking.



    And what the hell is the "eat that" crap?

    Maybe you need to go to another site and take your 3 post with you if you don't know how to speak to people.
    I agree. We do out best to act in a civil manner. So, if you can't act decently, we don't need your posts.
    I am so confused... I do what you ask of me after you mock my attempts to further educate yee undeucated forum goers and your retort is" we don't need your posts"? What kind of BS is that. I think you are all just affraid to admit that you could not out resource me in a law finding battle. I tell ya what, If anyone can negate or otherwise prove that the laws i have cited for you do not exist or my posting of them was in err, i will not post for you anymore.

    So, can someone please prove my sources of US and Louissiana law wrong???

  20. #20
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    SickMaker wrote:
    Nikki_Black wrote:
    charlie12 wrote:
    SickMaker wrote:
    LRS 14:95.8 C.(7)

    *

    eat that
    Why don't you do* some more checking.

    *

    And what the hell is the "eat that" crap?

    Maybe you need to go to another site and take your 3 post with you if you don't know how to speak to people.
    I agree. We do out best to act in a civil manner. So, if you can't act decently, we don't need your posts.
    I am so confused... I do what you ask of me after you mock my attempts to further educate yee undeucated forum goers and your retort is" we don't need your posts"? What kind of BS is that. I think you are all just affraid to admit that you could not out resource me in a law finding battle. I tell ya what, If anyone can negate or otherwise prove that the laws i have cited for you do not exist or my posting of them was in err, i will not post for you anymore.*

    So, can someone please prove my sources of US and Louissiana law wrong???
    I was replying about your unneeded "eat that" comment.
    It's uncalled for. Now as to your posting of laws, thank you for that.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    yet this statement was called for, "Did you read this? Nothing about a note from you mama"

    and you are very welcome about the source code

  22. #22
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    SickMaker wrote:
    yet this statement was called for, "Did you read this? Nothing about a note from you mama"

    and you are very welcome about the source code
    I'm sorry, I missed that. No offense intended.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    There is a difference between "owning" a handgun and "purchasing" a handgun. I can own 20 handguns without having ever purchased one at a store. The statute talks about being 21 to purchase a handgun, and is referring to purchase from an FFL. The Louisiana statutes clearly state you only have to be 17 to posses a handgun.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hammond, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Exactly right... and that is where this provision comes in LRS 14:95.8 C.(7) as it states, you can possess the handgun but it does not get into purchases or ownership. those come from federal laws and such. Finaly,i am glad that this is all understood.Cheers dude.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Nikki_Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    221

    Post imported post

    Thank you both. I'm glad it all got cleared up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •