• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there any non anti gun articles about the restaurant carry bill?

hometheaterman

imported post

So this is the latest article I've seen but others have been in the same fashion
http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/84361547.html

Are there any articles that aren't anti gun about the restaurant? Seems like there should be positive articles out there too. With all this bad media attention is this bill expected to pass? Do any of you know when it will be voted on again?

nova

imported post

"It's ridiculous" said gun owner Ray Masters. "People when they're drinking should not have guns."
a few sentences earlier...

But, they would not be allowed to drink while carrying it.

TFred

imported post

That is one of the most defective articles I've seen in a long time. I submitted a comment, but they are moderated, so who knows when or if it will show up.

TFred

There are so many things wrong with this article, it is difficult to know where to begin.

There are no bars in Virginia. There are only restaurants that serve alcohol. Places like Ruby Tuesday, where you would take your family for dinner.

Perhaps you scrounged up a couple gun owners who oppose this bill. If you were to conduct a poll, you'd find it has overwhelming support.

State law CURRENTLY ALLOWS for the OPEN CARRY of firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol, and there is NO restriction on having a drink or two. One is not allowed to be under the influence while carrying a firearm. By prohibiting drinking for concealed carriers, this bill is actually more strict!

The VAST majority of states allow firearms to be carried in alcohol-serving restaurants, and despite the cries of "blood in the streets", it just does not happen. There is simply no fact-based reason to deny law-abiding citizens the means to defend themselves against criminals in restaurants that also serve alcohol.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of the posters atPeter Nap'ssyndicate feed seems to think that although OC is legal, no restaurant actuallyallows for it. I've provided a bit of input to set him straight. Perhaps some others here can chime in as well.

TFred

imported post

The original article has approved a bunch of comments, and while most are supportive, the nuts are falling off the trees as well:

Posted by: Don't want to be shot by you Location: Charlottesville on Feb 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Won't argue whether you have a right to own a gun or not but I have a right not to be shot by your stupid self with your stupid gun...that's not liberal ideology that's self preservation. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and people are generally not very smart nor do they exercise good judgement. If the vast majority are too ignorant to clean snow off their cars and not park in spots other people labored to clear of snow then they are not to be trusted with weapons. Criminals carry guns because they are criminals. If criminals are carrying and you are too, then I hope it's you shot dead in the gun fight. If you're a local business person and you support this or have a concealed carry permit, reveal yourself now so I know not to do business with you!
Wow. This is clearly a criminal who doesn't want to face armed victims.

TFred

TFred

imported post

TFred wrote:
That is one of the most defective articles I've seen in a long time. I submitted a comment, but they are moderated, so who knows when or if it will show up.

TFred

There are so many things wrong with this article, it is difficult to know where to begin.

There are no bars in Virginia. There are only restaurants that serve alcohol. Places like Ruby Tuesday, where you would take your family for dinner.

Perhaps you scrounged up a couple gun owners who oppose this bill. If you were to conduct a poll, you'd find it has overwhelming support.

State law CURRENTLY ALLOWS for the OPEN CARRY of firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol, and there is NO restriction on having a drink or two. One is not allowed to be under the influence while carrying a firearm. By prohibiting drinking for concealed carriers, this bill is actually more strict!

The VAST majority of states allow firearms to be carried in alcohol-serving restaurants, and despite the cries of "blood in the streets", it just does not happen. There is simply no fact-based reason to deny law-abiding citizens the means to defend themselves against criminals in restaurants that also serve alcohol.
They took my suggestion and added a poll!!

Hit it!!

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/84361547.html?storySection=poll

TFred

TFred

imported post

GuitarMan270 wrote:
I don't think overwhelming was a strong enough word for how that poll is going. :celebrate
One of two possible answers... a) they are genuinely interested in the public opinion, or more likely b) they didn't have a clue that the public does overwhelmingly support this law.

Maybe both, but I doubt it.

TFred

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

I replied as fireman, his article shows he didn't do much research;

In your article you state; While restaurant owners can keep people from smoking or wearing shorts inside their establishments, they can’t stop them from bringing in guns?"

The restaurant owner can always keep people from carring a handgun by putting up signs letting people know their establishment is a gun free criminal safe zone. These signs will be headed by law abiding gun owners, but won't stop a criminal that doesn't care about the law.

You also make the statement; “But no self-respecting criminal is going to shoot or rob somebody in a restaurant with dozens of witnesses.” Try to search the internet sometime. I typed restaurant robberies into Google search and got ten pages. for example:

Restaurant robbery rash reflects economy; http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_51_35/ai_80953031/

Oakland crackdown on restaurant robberies; http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-08-08/bay-area/17120552_1_takeover-robberies-surveillance-cameras-customers-and-employees

Two restaurant robberies under investigation in Forest Acres; http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11875798

Your example of the Lynchburg Circuit Court Case is an example of a probable criminal to start with. Law abiding Concealed Handgun Permit holders carry the handgun in a holster not the waistband of their pants. As it stands now a large number of restaurants now welcome handgun owners. It's is legal to carry in a restaurant that serves beer and wine if the handgun is visible. Something on the order of 60 adults and children are planning to attend a get together at a restaurant in Yorktown on Wednesday night, where the owners know most of the adults will be armed and welcome them.
:banghead:
jmelvin your comments were there. Now to see if mine make it

wylde007

imported post

It's is legal to carry in a restaurant that serves beer and wine if the handgun is visible.
It is legal to carry in a restaurant that serves liquor, which is actually a different ABC license than one for beer and wine.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
It's is legal to carry in a restaurant that serves beer and wine if the handgun is visible.
It is legal to carry in a restaurant that serves liquor, which is actually a different ABC license than one for beer and wine.
oops typing to fast fingers got ahead of the brain.

AIC869

imported post

Morons. Anyone like that one guy ("Don't want to be shot by you") who would presume I'm out and about with the intent of going OK Corral is sorely mistaken. All things being equal, I'm likely to do the right thing if others' lives are in jeopardy; but the whole point is escaping a situation (with family if present) alive and with no more ventilation than we had to begin with. I only get paid to get shot when deployed - I don't intend to take one for free from a thug because I thought this knucklehead who finds my personal choices so abhorrent that he refuses to protect himself suddenly "needs" my protection.

It's the story of the ant and the cricket - don't plan to hide behind me just because you failed to prepare.

wylde007

imported post

AIC869 wrote:
but the whole point is escaping a situation (with family if present) alive and with no more ventilation than we had to begin with.
I had a restaurant owner, pseudo-friend of mine tell me that he didn't want guns in his restaurant because he doesn't trust some of his staff (what does that tell you?) but that I was welcome to store my weapon in my car and go get it if anything were to ever happen.

This dude is so far out in lala land I can't even begin.

You are absolutely, 100% right. If the BG comes in the front door shooting and I can get me and my family out the back door, what is my motivation (lawfully, intrinsically and practically) to arm myself and re-enter the establishment?

Oh, yeah. It's the owner of Tautog's/Doc Taylor's on 23rd Street, BTW. Even my wife (who does not carry and does not want to) thought his comments were insanely out-of-touch.

AIC869

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
SNIP You also make the statement; “But no self-respecting criminal is going to shoot or rob somebody in a restaurant with dozens of witnesses.” Try to search the internet sometime. I typed restaurant robberies into Google search and got ten pages. SNIP
Hell, for that matter I'm worried about getting jacked in the parking lot. Don't criminals realize and respect that parking lots are only for entering and exiting vehicles? All crimes are required to take place where there are a plethora of witnesses... :banghead:

AIC869

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
AIC869 wrote:
but the whole point is escaping a situation (with family if present) alive and with no more ventilation than we had to begin with.
I had a restaurant owner, pseudo-friend of mine tell me that he didn't want guns in his restaurant because he doesn't trust some of his staff (what does that tell you?)
Seems to me he could use some new employees. If things are so shady that he can't trust his staff around a trained gun owner customer, then I certainly wouldn't think he'd want them around his livelihood/cash flow.

But then again, I'm funny like that...:?