Thread: Another question about OCing. This this time it's shoulder rig legality!

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States

Post imported post

Can I OC with a shoulder rig? I prefer shoulder rigs because they're just more comfortable, especially in the summer. Is there a percentage of the weapon that has to be showing, or not? I just wanted to clear this up. Sorry about all the dumb sounding common sense questions. I'm a newbie to Open Carry and I want to find things out before I go on my first OC day.

Poster's note: If you cannot be civil towards myself or others posting in this or any of my other threads, then I don't need your post. Please move along. Special note regarding MEM, he is not trying to be uncivil, he's just posting his opinion.

Post imported post

You may carry openly in any manner that you choose. You cannot carry concealed unless you have a Concealed Handgun Permit.

Post imported post

Yes, you can OC in a shoulder rig. There doesn't necessarily have to be any particular % of gun showing. The way SC and AG has ruled in the past, if you can tell it's a gun by looking at it then it's not concealed.

From the LOCAL website in the FAQ forum (http://www.laopencarry.org/how-do-i-...siana-t73.html )-

State v. Fluker 311 So. 2d 863 - A 1975 State Supreme Court case regarding the determination of concealment of a firearm in LA

http://www.ag.state.la.us Attorney General Opinion No. 78-1288 - The AG, citing State vs. Fluker, says "that a weapon is not concealed, even if not in full, open view, if it is sufficiently exposed to reveal its identity."

Hope this helps.

Steve,

LOCAL Secretary
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Thank you both for your help. You especially, Steve. Also, I know about the laws regarding CC, but I'm 19. Too young to get a concealed permit anyway. I was thinking a tucked in shirt with my shoulder rig over it. And I know people will rag on me about being young and OCing, but I'm damn tired of losing my rights and having to walk around defenseless because I cant carry a shotgun around. But you can bet that I'll be open carrying my XD45 from now on. Don't knock my choice of weapon, I like it. Haha

Post imported post

I'm gonna tack on a bit of kinda on, kinda off topic thing here. Can anybody tell me where I can find a good quality rig that isn't too bad on my wallet?

(edit: Spelling)

Post imported post

From what I can tell, most shoulder rigs that aren't expensive ($80-100+) are either not as comfortable or of poor design. I personally can't seem to find any shoulder rigs that aren't Galco that seem awesome.

Post imported post

Nikki_Black wrote:
    Thank you both for your help. You especially, Steve. Also, I know about the laws regarding CC, but I'm 19. Too young to get a concealed permit anyway. I was thinking a tucked in shirt with my shoulder rig over it. And I know people will rag on me about being young and OCing, but I'm damn tired of losing my rights and having to walk around defenseless because I cant carry a shotgun around. But you can bet that I'll be open carrying my XD45 from now on. Don't knock my choice of weapon, I like it. Haha
    If you browse http://louisianacarry.org you will find answers to most of your questions about concealment vs. OC and links to holster makers and so on.

Welcome.