• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stack-On Gun Safes

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Stack-ON gun "safes" look to be made in the same factory (or a factory next door!) as Sentry gun "safes" in that both brands areVERY similar, so take a look at the Sentry line and compare specs/pricing before you choose one over the other. Consequently, the "same safe" (Stack-On vs. Sentry), mayhave a better warranty or pricing so compare equivalent Stack-On and Sentry models. The Stack-On "Elite" series are their better "safes" so look at one of those ifyour budget allows.

You would have to spend MANY thousands of dollars to get a true safe, but the Sentry/Stack-On gun "safes" (RSCs actually) are definitely better than the locker-room type gun "cabinets" of thinner steel (avoid those). I have several safes/RSCs, one of which is a 10-gun Sentry G2215 (older model) which is basically the very same thing as their current model 10-gun "safes" and it is better than just hiding guns in a closet or under the bed.The G2215 holds mostly ammo cans. My better security is a smaller Class B safe (a Cobalt S852C) for handguns, personal checks, home/car/bike spare keys, important papers, optics, laptops, cameras, etc. (I have a Sentry "firechest" that is in there for at least SOME fire-protection for the Class B's contents since the safe itself is only a burglary safe, nota fire safe).

So yes, I would say RSCs like Stack-On (and Sentry) are"a pretty good value for the money" as the goal is to DETER a thief, or at least slow him down getting your stuff. AND, IMO, it shows you are trying to be responsible keeping guns out of the the hands of others (looks good in court).Besides,many ofthe more expensive "safes" (RSCs) don't have much thicker steel than these entry-level RSCs so a Stack-On/Sentry is about even there. The better quality RSCs have better quality locks though (Sargent & Greenleaf, La Gard).

A combination (mechanical) lock might be preferable over an electronic lock...so consider that. All4 "safes"I haveare combination locks (including a small Sentry in my car).

And, as always with any of these RSC regardless of brand, you MUST bolt it down to the floor (and wall studs also if possible) or else it will be carried off and opened later (so if you can, put lots of heavy things in it to make it weigh more). Install it in a corner so it can't be "rocked" -- so a thief can't get body-leverage topush it over (rip it loose from it's floor mounting bolts) -- which is one reason tobolt it to the wall also.

Good luck,

-- John D.

CrossFire

imported post

I have a Stack-On 24 Gun Elite Fire Safe. I caught it on sale at Dicks Sporting Goods. So far it has serve me well. It is supposed to protect my guns and ammo for 30 minutes at 1400 degrees and due to its original weight of 750 lbs and additional weight of the guns and ammo I do not worry too much about coming home and finding it missing.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to Stack On safe factory in Wacounda, IL and it was awesome.

also I own one and it comes with the design to be bolted into the wall and floor if you want.

but mine is called a security cabinet. It won't stop a determined attack but it deters children and the like.

230therapy

imported post

The Stack-On cabinet is fine as a low security solution. It won't really do much more than keep the kids out and give you some legal liability coverage.

It needs to be attached to something.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

It is better that storing your guns in the closet or under the bed. I show people the options and let them make a decision on what their comfort level is. Most buy better than Stack-On. If that is all you can afford it beats the alternative of the closet.

Spelling edit

lil_freak_66

imported post

i use a stack on 8 gun cabinet,keyed entry. and it works great,was only like 60 bucks too.

and then i have a stack on handgun safe i use to hold various edged weapons and extra ammunition,which is electronic combination and keyed entry. it cost like 40 bucks.

i love both of them

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
"I went to Stack On safe factory in Wacounda, IL..." -- ComradeV

Interesting...I thought they were made in China with the Sentrys.

-- John D.
I guess I lied, it's just their U.S. Warehouse, but they had a lot of stuff there.