• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transmitting and recording OC police encounters to a secure remote location

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sasha601 wrote:

I found this on the web. It suggests in first part that recording conversation where person is a participant is legal. In second part it suggests that broadcasting the same conversation is illegal:

"The eavesdropping statute has been interpreted by one court as applying only to situations in which a third party has intercepted a communication, an interpretation that makes it legal for a participant in a conversation to record that conversation without the permission of other parties. Sullivan v. Gray, 324 N.W.2d 58 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

The state supreme court stated in a July 1999 ruling that a participant in a conversation "may not unilaterally nullify other participants’ expectations of privacy by secretly broadcasting the conversation" and that the overriding inquiry should be whether the parties "intended and reasonably expected that the conversation was private." Therefore, it is likely that a recording party may not broadcast a recorded conversation without the consent of all parties. Dickerson v. Raphael, 601 N.W.2d 108 (Mich. 1999)."

So - what law would the transmitter be breaking? And what law would the viewer be breaking? That's the question.

It would appear that it may be illegal to view the transmission, but not to transmit it - therefore, the viewer may be charged with MCL 750.539c, but the transmitter, as far as I can tell, is breaking no law.

In addition - if a transmitter announces that they are broadcasting live - continuing a conversation after this fact is made known is implied consent to the broadcast, making all viewers in compliance with the law.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

sasha601 wrote:
To be precise, I am asking if my conversation with another party can be transmitted to remote location to be recorded via wirelessinternet (wi-fi) or through cellular phone?

zigziggityzoo wrote:
wardog6d wrote:
The FCC enforces all radio RF related incidents.
Yes, but if michigan law is more restrictive than federal - they're not going to get involved.

So long as they're in compliance with FCC - the FCC won't come to investigate.

Besides, this is well off-topic at this point.

The question is whether he may legally broadcast a recording live over the internet.

According to Michigan law, I believe this to be legal.
I agree with you. I believe it is legal. As no audience can hear the RF transmition over RF. This is do to the fact that the RF being used is both digital and encrypted therefore secure. No public access is available to the RF frequency in use. The FCC definaition clearly states RF broadcast to an audiance.

sasha601

imported post

Announce to LEO that you aretransmitting live might be problematic if you are dealing with a determined anti-OC officer. At this point, LEO can forcibly search you and remove the device. A bad aoole LEO might tdo it, especially if no witnesses around. From that point you got nothing to record with and a very, very angree LEO. I think stratigically it is better not to announce that you are recording

zigziggityzoo wrote:
sasha601 wrote:

I found this on the web. It suggests in first partthat recording conversation where person is a participant is legal. In second part it suggests that broadcasting the same conversation is illegal:

"The eavesdropping statute has been interpreted by one court as applying only to situations in which a third party has intercepted a communication, an interpretation that makes it legal for a participant in a conversation to record that conversation without the permission of other parties. Sullivan v. Gray, 324 N.W.2d 58 (Mich. Ct. App. 1982).

The state supreme court stated in a July 1999 ruling that a participant in a conversation "may not unilaterally nullify other participants’ expectations of privacy by secretly broadcasting the conversation" and that the overriding inquiry should be whether the parties "intended and reasonably expected that the conversation was private." Therefore, it is likely that a recording party may not broadcast a recorded conversation without the consent of all parties. Dickerson v. Raphael, 601 N.W.2d 108 (Mich. 1999)."

So - what law would the transmitter be breaking? And what law would the viewer be breaking? That's the question.

It would appear that it may be illegal to view the transmission, but not to transmit it - therefore, the viewer may be charged with MCL 750.539c, but the transmitter, as far as I can tell, is breaking no law.

In addition - if a transmitter announces that they are broadcasting live - continuing a conversation after this fact is made known is implied consent to the broadcast, making all viewers in compliance with the law.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

sasha601 wrote:
Announce to LEO that you aretransmitting live might be problematic if you are dealing with a determined anti-OC officer. At this point, LEO can forcibly search you and remove the device. A bad aoole LEO might tdo it, especially if no witnesses around. From that point you got nothing to record with and a very, very angree LEO. I think stratigically it is better not to announce that you are recording

zigziggityzoo wrote:
sasha601 wrote:

I found this on the web. It suggests in first partthat recording conversation where person is a participant is legal. In second part it suggests that broadcasting the same conversation is illegal:

You are not required to inform the person according to Michigan law. Some youtube open carries actually have 2 recording devices just in case this were to occur.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wardog6d wrote:
sasha601 wrote:
Announce to LEO that you are transmitting live might be problematic if you are dealing with a determined anti-OC officer. At this point, LEO can forcibly search you and remove the device. A bad aoole LEO might tdo it, especially if no witnesses around. From that point you got nothing to record with and a very, very angree LEO. I think stratigically it is better not to announce that you are recording 

zigziggityzoo wrote:
sasha601 wrote:

I found this on the web. It suggests in first part that recording conversation where person is a participant is legal. In second part it suggests that broadcasting the same conversation is illegal:

You are not required to inform the person according to Michigan law. Some youtube open carries actually have 2 recording devices just in case this were to occur.

To be certain - any official encounter with police is by definition not a private conversation - so any recording and subsequent broadcast is lawful.

lapeer20m

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:

To be certain - any official encounter with police is by definition not a private conversation - so any recording and subsequent broadcast is lawful.
i agree. almost all the posts up until this point were referring to private conversations. A conversation that takes place anywhere in public would not fall into this category.

recording audio/video/photo's in public is completely legal.

How do you think the show "cops" gets it's footage?

lil_freak_66

imported post

if you simply are recording it live to a secure location it wouldnt be broadcasting i dont think,as you would be the only one with the ability to view it.

Hombre

Banned
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I carry multiple spy cams which are not easily identified, and can only be erased by smashing them or hooking them to a computer. I also have an unregistered phone to call 911 in case I get detained.

911 is a secure off site recording, that's for sure. And it would be tough for a judge to find a reason not to allow the 911 recording in as evidence. is also good, because you can ask the dispatcher to send state troopers.
]
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

xraygil1

imported post

Boy Hombre you've been a member all of 48 hours and I already grit my teeth every time I see a post from you! Are you sure your not my wife in disguise? Welcome aboard, may you post 10 million times before the devil nows your dead-OR- the moderator cuts you off permanently.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
Boy Hombre you've been a member all of 48 hours and I already grit my teeth every time I see a post from you! Are you sure your not my wife in disguise? Welcome aboard, may you post 10 million times before the devil nows your dead-OR- the moderator cuts you off permanently.
Sign should read: Please Dont Feed the Trolls.