• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Guns" Signs and LEOs

Pace

imported post

From another thread, perhaps interesting regarding no-firearms signs. According to DPS, the no firearm signs prohibit officers under LEOSA. I made a call to DPS, and they told me that the no-firearm signs in AZ prohibit any firearms "including offduty police officers." In theory, an off-duty police officer could be arrested in violation of the law.

This is great ammo now -- which I already figured existed. The no-firearms sign basically makes it illegal not only for citizens but offduty or retired police officers to enter.

Something to think about and perhaps write,

Best,
Pace

AZkopper

imported post

Pace wrote:
From another thread, perhaps interesting regarding no-firearms signs. According to DPS, the no firearm signs prohibit officers under LEOSA. I made a call to DPS, and they told me that the no-firearm signs in AZ prohibit any firearms "including offduty police officers." In theory, an off-duty police officer could be arrested in violation of the law.

This is great ammo now -- which I already figured existed. The no-firearms sign basically makes it illegal not only for citizens but offduty or retired police officers to enter.

Something to think about and perhaps write,

Best,
Pace

I'm not sure about LEOSA, but the "offduty officer" quote is pure crap. ARS makes no distinction ANYWHERE between offduty and on duty peace officers.

I would hazard a guess that, as far as LEOSA is concerned, they are right. It is basically a glorified CWP. They are no longer peace officers, so they are not under the peace officer umbrella of the ARS wording.

Pace

imported post

Well, I am having their supervisor get back to me... eh, probably right. But still LEO's from other states and retired, can't carry.

mFonz77

imported post

Pace wrote:
Well, I am having their supervisor get back to me... eh, probably right. But still LEO's from other states and retired, can't carry.
Now I don't know about that. My uncle is an active LEO and he can carry just about anywhere without fear of prosecution. Incl. IL.

Pace

imported post

Anywhere public. Private places are different.

Don't forget much of the BradyBunch is also Anti-Law Enforcement. Many of them believe both civilians and police should be using pencils to defend themselves.

LA4516

imported post

If it is private property Pizza Hut, McD's, your yard etc any LEO on duty or off can be told to leave because they have a weapon. Unless they are performing their duty they must leave the property like everyone else. Not wise at all for anyone to ask/tell them to leave.

My job requires me to carry on duty and suggests me to carry off duty. I walk into places everyday that are posted no weapons and no one gives it a second look. I have also walked into these places off duty and have been confronted. Usually I just show my badge and everything is fine, some of the time they ask me to cover it up so the customers don't freak. I also have been told to leave it in the car, like most everyone here I take my business else where. I personaly have never been asked/told to leave while in uniform but I know others that have.