• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What city/town & how long did it take?

ctfireman

imported post

I thought this would be interesting & inform people who are currently waiting or thinking about applying. What city/town did you apply in & how long did it take to receive your temporary permit?

von buck

imported post

ctfireman wrote:
I thought this would be interesting & inform people who are currently waiting or thinking about applying. What city/town did you apply in & how long did it take to receive your temporary permit?

I'll start. 10 weeks and one day.I'm in Wolcott.

Ange

Bingo85

imported post

Windsor: 24-48hours

No...I am not trolling. I have no idea how it happened but I dropped my full application off on Monday and didn’t even think to check my cell phone until Thursday. I had 1 message from the DPS saying my permit was ready to pick up. They had to have called Tuesday or Wednesday. I picked up my temp. on Friday, went and got my state the same day.

The ONLY reason I can think of for such a fast turn around is that my Mother works for Homeland Security and our whole immediate family had to go through a background check process for her job?

I almost felt guilty…

-Bingo

buketdude

imported post

Bingo85 wrote:
Windsor: 24-48hours

No...I am not trolling. I have no idea how it happened but I dropped my full application off on Monday and didn’t even think to check my cell phone until Thursday. I had 1 message from the DPS saying my permit was ready to pick up. They had to have called Tuesday or Wednesday. I picked up my temp. on Friday, went and got my state the same day.

The ONLY reason I can think of for such a fast turn around is that my Mother works for Homeland Security and our whole immediate family had to go through a background check process for her job?

I almost felt guilty…

-Bingo
I have posted this before..I got mine 5 years ago..but Windsor took 2 weeks..I know someone who just got one last week..I believe it was 4 days...I know other people who have gotten them in 1-2 weeks there...I don't know how they do it..I do know 1 guy is assigned to do them and he is very prompt about it..

Leverdude

imported post

Norwalk, about a month once I got my record cleared of some nonsense.
I had a few things to get squared away & was turned down the first time. When they turned me down they never got back to me. Eventually I started calling to see what was up before my appeal time was up. I'm pretty certain that had I not called I'd have never heard a word about it.

oldbaldguy

imported post

New Here. A lot of great info. I got my permit in 1978. It took from March 31st to early September. At the time I lived in Norwich. Because I called the records dept of the local police, I was told several times that the paperwork had not been returned. In July of the same year, I left work early and went to the records dept. Lo and behold, there it was near the bottom of the stack. The FBI reply date was April 14th. It was obvious that had I not showed up, I'd still be waiting.

I applied for my state permit right away. The little 3x5 card had a small line to explain why the permit was to be issued. I put "to carry out of town". I recieved a letter from the DPS telling me to expain "to carry out of town" in more detail. I sent the letter and was issued the permit in Sept.

Sorry about the long post.

Henry

jz12b

imported post

Anyone get their permit in Coventry? I am going on 6 weeks. Should I call the police department to see if the info is back from DPS? I don't won't them to delay my application because I am requesting a status.

jz12b

imported post

My old college roomate is a police officer in Avon. I spoke to him recently and he went to the academy with an officer in Coventry. He suggestedI send him an email. Hopefully he will be able to move my application along a little quicker. My concern with Coventry is our Chief was the Deputy Chief in Norwalk prior to moving up here. My initial timeframe from the department was 8-10 weeks :what:

JohnnyO

imported post

In my case it was too long ago to matter now. 25+ years ago in Hamden. I can't remember how long it took, but it definitely was more than 8 weeks.

Interestingly this was during the tenure of Hamden Chief of Police John Ambrogio. Who was infamous for not issuing permits and at the time was also disregarding judges orders to issue carry permits. Yet my town permit was handed to me by Ambrogio's secretary after I left Ambrogio's office for my face to face interview with the Chief.

jz12b

imported post

Just got an email back from the Coventry Police Officer I was directed to. He states my application is back and his next shift with the woman who handles them is on Tuesday. He's going to talk to her then! The end may be near!

GoldCoaster

imported post

jz12b wrote:
Just got an email back from the Coventry Police Officer I was directed to. He states my application is back and his next shift with the woman who handles them is on Tuesday. He's going to talk to her then! The end may be near!
It's nice to have an "in" in the department but really, what about the folks that don't? They need to speed up the efficient processing of these applications for the law-abiding TAXPAYERS in their town.

Edward Peruta

imported post

MY TWO CENTS WORTH:

The only reason Connecticut Residents are currently being subjected to unlawful delays is because individuals have chosen to sit back and do nothing for fear of upsetting the local issuing authorities.

The law is EXTREMELY CLEAR in Section 29-29 of the General Statutes regarding the mandates on when permit decisions must be made by local issuing authorities.

Until we all demand specific compliance with thepublished mandates, the delays in obtaining Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolves will continue unchecked.

It is outrageous for any local issuing authority to tell an applicant that the permit process will take more than eight weeks. It is even more outrageous to find that somelocal issuing authorities haven't bothered to read the law or can't understand the clearly established mandates set in same.

AS RESIDENTS OF CONNECTICUTWE ARE THE REASON FOR THE DELAYS, BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T AND DON'T DEMAND COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW.

ctfireman

imported post

You are 100% correct & i'm one of those people. It's just awkward to walk into a police station with a printout of statutes & start making demands knowing that they control the end result. Even knowing the law, it seems like they always have an excuse or simply pass the blame to someone else. The worst part is that we don't want to be denied then wait 1-2 years for an appeal hearing or shell out a ton of money for an attorney. So it's either take the risk & politely remind them of the statute or sit back & wait. The whole thing is unfair to those who obey the law, you'd expect those who protect & serve us to do the same.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Contact your elected officials and ask them if their community leaders must comply with the law and show them what you are talking about.

Ask for an appointment with your Mayor or First Selectman.

Attend a government meeting and take the podium to ask the question publicly.

Send a letter and request a written response.

Write a letter to the editor ofthe local paper.

Attend meetings where local candidates speak while running for public office.

Don't emphasize firearms,talk about compliance with the law regardless of the topic.

If others had done it previously we may not be in the situation we're in now.

Bevocal and persistent.

If we must obey the law, so should those that enforce it.