• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What city/town & how long did it take?

ddepedro

imported post

I actually took a trip to waterbury pd today. I Called them a couple weeks ago and someone told me my information was back and that they were waiting on the chief to look at it. That was well over a week ago. So today I went there and politely explained to the woman in records that they have recieved my fingerprints back and They have 1 week by law to make a decision, She answered "Really? and where did you hear that?" She assured me I would have my permit in a week. We'll see.

Edward Peruta

imported post

So why didn't you tell her the answer can be found in Section 29-29 of the Connecticut General Statutes.

Bureaucratic mushrooms working in Law Enforcement that have never taken the time to read the laws they are supposed to enforce.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with our entire system of government today.

ddepedro

imported post

I wanted to tell her ed, But I didnt know the exact section off the top of my head. It's almost like it's no use fighting them. They just dont seem to care about the laws pertaining to the second amendment. Every time I talk to them they are sweet as pie until the words "pistol permit" come out of my mouth. Then the whole attitude starts.

ddepedro

imported post

Well. Hopefully coventry isnt like waterbury or you'll be waiting much longer than that. I'm going on 13 weeks.:banghead:

gluegun

imported post

ddepedro wrote:
Well. Hopefully coventry isnt like waterbury or you'll be waiting much longer than that. I'm going on 13 weeks.:banghead:
File an appeal with the Board and send a copy to Waterbury. It's worked with them in the past. You should get a "Oh I found it!" call once they receive your appeal letter.

Return receipt requested to Waterbury, of course. Don't want anything getting lost in the mail... :what:

http://ccdl.us/resources/permit-issues/108-forms-to-appeal-delay-of-permit-application-decision

gluegun

imported post

I'm starting to think the proper way to submit an application to any problem towns is to get the application from DPS, fill it out completely and notarized, have fingerprints taken with DPS and mail the whole package certified mail with return receipt requested.

If they deny you for missing any of their "extra" requirements, you immediately appeal. If they take longer than 8 week, you immediately appeal.

There will be NO doubt as to when the application was sent in and when it was received and by whom. They could not just "lose" your application or refuse to accept it. Signing the return receipt is proof they accepted it.

ddepedro

imported post

I went down there and spoke to someone in the records dept. who was actually helpful for the first time. She said they recieved all my info back from the state and there just waiting for the chief to look it over. she took my name and number and said shed call when it was done. she said not longer than a week. So I'm giving it one week then i will file the appeal. thanks for the info.

Chubs2287

imported post

With the New Haven Police Dept in 2009 it took 8 weeks and I was more than happy about that, because I used to live in NJ and it took me 6 months to get a Firearms ID card which only lets you buy Long Guns, but is good for life.

Boomboy007

imported post

Also in New Haven in 2009; it took me almost 3 months. I started calling twice a week after week eight just to keep the fire going.

ddepedro

imported post

Just got the call from waterbury my permit is ready! Thank god. Off to dos then off to pick up my Xdm 40!

Edward Peruta

imported post

ddepedro wrote:
Just got the call from waterbury my permit is ready! Thank god. Off to dos then off to pick up my Xdm 40!

May I suggest that you join, attend and make a financial contribution tothe Connecticut Citizen's Defense League (CCDL). http://www.ccdl.us

Your case is a perfect example of someone who had to wait beyond the times mandated by the Connecticut General Statutes.

Any contributions to CCDL will help others that follow you in making applications to the Waterbury Police Department.

If enough people begin to ask questions and demonstrate that the know the law, maybe, just maybe the Waterbury Police Department will begin to get the message.

Small donations made on a regular basis to CCDL will greatly improveevery state resident's ability to obtain Permits to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in a timely fashion.

The current fight to hold local issuing authorities accountable to the letter of the law will take time and financial resources but ultimately assist others who find themselves in similar situations.

Support for CCDL will also increase the political strength of law abiding Connecticut citizens who desire to keep and bare arms in self defense.

We also need to thank John and Mike for hosting this forum.

This forum is a valuable tool to exchange information ask quesitons and provide answers to those who need assistance.

Chubs2287

imported post

ddepedro wrote:
Congratz as well, The XDm was my first gun as well and I have not regretted it since.

bennor

imported post

Chubs2287 wrote:
With the New Haven Police Dept in 2009 it took 8 weeks and I was more than happy about that, because I used to live in NJ and it took me 6 months to get a Firearms ID card which only lets you buy Long Guns, but is good for life.
Boomboy007 wrote:
Also in New Haven in 2009; it took me almost 3 months. I started calling twice a week after week eight just to keep the fire going.

You guys were lucky, back in late 07 it took 6 months for New Haven PD to issuemy temporary permit. I posted my experiences on another threadsomewhere around here back in 08.Back then they also had a sheet which indicated the various fees to be paid which had some fees that were either higher or lower thanit was listed inother documents they included with the pistol permit application. I called their firearms division to clarify and even the detective (one of several I spoke to there over the six month period)didn't know what the fees were and was confused when he read the permit application.:?

Got all the runarounds about why they delayed the permit when I started calling after they sprinted past the 8 week period.Called them so often that I was practically on a first name bases withtwo detectives inthe Firearms Department.I was given many excuses. Among them were the always popular "we only have one person who does the permit and they only work a few days a week and are not in today". To "we are waiting for the FBI fingerprint/background check to come back". To "we only do them in batches and we haven't gotten to yours yet". To my personal favorite "its on the chief's desk awaiting his signature" (for several weeks). Mine you that the chief announced his retirement during the time they were "processing"my permit application. I also called the Special License andFirearms Unitand the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners who both, at that time, couldn't (or wouldn't) reallydo much to assist in moving NHPD forward in issuing the temporary permit.

Good to hear that they've speed-ed up the process (some what) since I got mine so others don't have to wait half a year for a temporary permit like I did.

jz12b

imported post

jz12b wrote:
Six weeks to the day that I dropped off my application, and nothing yet......

I called the PD today. The person answering the phone (who is also the dispatcher - gotta love small towns) was very nice and went to check on my application. She told me thebackground check wasback from the DPS and all set, but they were waiting on the FBI. Anyone know where the prints are sent for the FBI portion of the check? Are they sent to a local office, or to an office somewhere in D.C.? Anyone know if the FBI is backlogged?

Man...there has to be a simpler way. I still don't understand why Connecticut insists on using Ink and Paper. Even my small town has an electronic fingerprint scanner that was to scan my prints, justso they could beprinted outand mailed!

Edward Peruta

imported post

Check to see if your check for the National Criminal History Records Check was cashed and who cashed it.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Both Sets of prints are sent to the Connecticut Bureau of Identification, (CSBI), at DPS in Middletown who scans the hard copy fingerprint cards into the livesan for electronic transmission to the FBI.

For some reason, and I'll have to do some research, I believe that the FBI does not accept hard copy paper prints anymore.

I will edit this post with the answer if I find more information.

If your check was cashed by Coventry, they may have mailed the paper copy to the FBI, if it was cashed by the State of Connecticut, then I'd check with CSBI to see if they ran a NationalRecords Check.

After all, you should be able to ask questions and demand details regarding something you paid for.

INTERESTING INFORMATION THAT I WAS UNAWARE OF PRIOR TO TODAY

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the processing time?

The FBI processes requests as quickly as possible; however, please allow several weeks for processing. You can obtain an estimate of the current processing time by calling (304) 625-5590.

Can the FBI send the results to someone (or an agency) other than me?

Under the U.S. Department of Justice Order 556-73, the results must be returned to the requestor or his/her designated legal representative. A notarized authorization to release the results to the legal representative must accompany such a request.

Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

Local, county, or state law enforcement agencies may take your fingerprints for a fee. Also, some private companies offer this service—check the business listings in your telephone book.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/iafis.htm

The Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System, more commonly known as IAFIS, is a national fingerprint and criminal history system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division. The IAFIS provides automated fingerprint search capabilities, latent searching capability, electronic image storage, and electronic exchange of fingerprints and responses, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As a result of submitting fingerprints electronically, agencies receive electronic responses to criminal ten-print fingerprint submissions within two hours and within 24 hours for civil fingerprint submissions.

[align=left]The IAFIS maintains the largest biometric database in the world, containing the fingerprints and corresponding criminal history information for more than 55 million subjects in the Criminal Master File. The fingerprints and corresponding criminal history information are submitted voluntarily by state, local, and federal law enforcement agencies.[/align]
[align=left][size=-1][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Just a few years ago, substantial delays were a normal part of the fingerprint identification process, because fingerprint cards had to be physically transported and processed. A fingerprint check could often take three months to complete. The FBI formed a partnership with the law enforcement community to revitalize the fingerprint identification process, leading to the development of the IAFIS. The IAFIS became operational in July 1999.[/font][/size][/align]
[align=left](b) The local authority
shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints (plural) were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints (plural) or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks (plural) in accordance with section 29-17a.[/align]
[align=left]It appears that local issuing authorities take your check and fingerprints and send both to CSBI. The question is, does CSBI send the paper hard copy of the FBI fingerprints or do it electronically.[/align]
[align=left]Ask your local P.D. to explain their process and follow up with a call to whoever they sent the FBI card to.[/align]

jz12b

imported post

The checks were cashed by the Connecticut State Treasury. I called and left a message at the FBI "background check" division. They have a prompt specifically for a finger print screen. Obviously it is after hours, so I left a message for a rep to call me back. The promptsmade it sound like I could get a status of my prints specifically. As a side note, the checks were cashed by the State February 2nd and 3rd - two weeks after I dropped my application off, so they were moving pretty quickly. My guess is that the hold up is with the FBI at this point. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.