• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What city/town & how long did it take?

Edward Peruta

imported post

FOR THE RECORD

From: Hatfield, Thomas [mailto:Thomas.Hatfield@po.state.ct.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:47 AM
To:
Edward Peruta
Subject: RE: Will call regarding this attachment

Sir,

On Friday May 7, 2010 I spoke with members of the Criminal Justice Information Systems Section about the number and timing of fingerprint based background checks submitted to DPS. From November 2009 to April 2010 between 700 and 1600 fingerprint cards were submitted each month to DPS. At present there is no backlog associated with fingerprint based background checks submitted to DPS. For example, I was told the turnaround time is one to two weeks from the time the fingerprint cards are received. It should be understood that some individual submissions may take significantly longer to process, but this delay is due to information related to the individual submission (e.g. out of state history verification, etc.).

Sincerely,
Tpr. Hatfield

Guyver

imported post

I'm in Norwich.

Took 11 weeks 4 days.

A really strange and long experience. But I'm glad its over with. The day I got it the background history person called me claiming I was paying utilities on a place I used to live in. Asked how he found out that info cause I didn't give him any account info, and he said "we have our ways". Well I informed him I havn't lived there in over 4.5 years. Requested i copy a mailing address envelope and bring it to the station so they can finish processing my app. (btw, they had a copy of my license which has my new address on it, issued over 2 years prior)
Long story short, secretary called me 15 min later and said it was ready? Norwich has their heads up their A**. The detective didn't say anything to her about the phone call, i stopped at that point and said, "see ya in 20 min".

Patience is all I have to say.

natvin

imported post

Sterling 2 weeks to the day, was given a form for 3 references but told they weren't required and would not affect decision so I didn't do them. Other than that no extras were added to the process. Also had fingerprint done at DPS. This was in Nov. 2009.

yooperman

imported post

Something interesting , its been over 5 weeks since I applied for a pistol Permit in ENFIELD, CT No checks cashed. Called FBI no record of Finger Prints sent, Called CT State Police ID, no records, Called CT DPI no records. Went to ENFIELD POLICE RECORDS THEY TOLD ME THEIR BEHIND IN THEIR DETECTIVE DEPARTMENT IN CONDUCTING CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS FOR BACKGROUND CHECKS AND IT MAY BE SEVERAL WEEKS OR MONTHS LONGER. The bottom line is they still have my application and finger prints and have not submitted them.

I was under the impression that their duty/function was was to ID you, finger print and submit application. WHAT HAPPENED TO CONNECTICUT STATUTES 2928a?

I informed them of the law of they and told me it won't be the first time the state checked on them go ahead and appeal.

What is my recourse now?

Rich B

imported post

yooperman wrote:
I informed them of the law of they and told me it won't be the first time the state checked on them go ahead and appeal.

What is my recourse now?

I am not sure I understand the issue. Just appeal it, they even think you should.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Just talked to the Deputy Police Chief in Enfield and he is aware of the situation and there may be changes. My suggestion is to call and speak to the Deputy Chief and explain your situaiton. He is very reasonable and will be reading Section 29-29.

djswain22

imported post

I live in Rocky hill, it tookalmost four weeks from the permit class to having my permit in hand...not bad, and the chief seemed to be a great guy.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Chief Custer and the members of the Rocky Hill Police Department know the laws pertaining to Pistol Permits as does Wethersfield.

djswain22

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
Chief Custer and the members of the Rocky Hill Police Department know the laws pertaining to Pistol Permits as does Wethersfield.

thats refreshing...I sometime open carry, and when i do im always hoping the local police understand the laws and i wont be hassled.

toadyrock

imported post

Different experience for me from Enfield. I let my 5 year expire, and had to go through the entire process.. Less than 4 weeks. I did have to go back to get my prints redone. Goodluck!

John F

imported post

Hi everyone. First post here.

I just applied for my carry permit yesterday in the City of West Haven. Has anyone had any experience applying there? I followed all the instructions for their app (including the items not required by law; 3 letters of character reference written by 2 professional firefighters and one police officer.) The officer who fingerprintedme told me it would be 6-8 weeks. Hopefully it will be sooner! I loathe waiting :)

ctfireman

imported post

My application said that you CANNOT have police officers (or family members) as references. You might wanna check into that before you end up waiting months just to be denied on a technicality.

Rich B

imported post

ctfireman wrote:
My application said that you CANNOT have police officers (or family members) as references. You might wanna check into that before you end up waiting months just to be denied on a technicality.

Considering you don't need the letters at all, I would say he is very safe with such reputable references.

k2zr2

This is my first post. I live in Windsor, it took 2 weeks and a day. I feel my wife and I were one of the lucky ones and our town has a really quick response time.

Off to the DPS tomorrow :banana:

buketdude

This is my first post. I live in Windsor, it took 2 weeks and a day. I feel my wife and I were one of the lucky ones and our town has a really quick response time.

Off to the DPS tomorrow :banana:

Sweet! They are quick..i got mine there fast years ago and know other people that have too...1-2 weeks..I forgot the officer who does them but he is great.