• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing In Johnston County North Carolina

Lilnes18

imported post

I'm a student, recently purchased handgun Cobra 380. Legally! Looking into CC'ing but I feel compelled to "OC" by the stories and facts that I have heard about OC'ing. Respectfully appreciate the arguments about OC'ing and need more information. Anyone looking to help? Also would like to know if Johnston county has display ban?

Thanx..

CarryOpen

imported post

You will probably want to put a good few rounds through it to make sure you trust it to carry. Looks a lot like a Davis 380 I owned several years back. Will also have to be careful to not conceal something that small if you don't have your CHP.

Dreamer

imported post

Agreed. You say you are a student, so I assume you are under 21. In NC, you need a Concealed Handgun Permit to carry concealed, and you cannot get a CHP unless you are 21 or older...

Open carry, however, is perfectly legal if you are 18 or older, in any location in NC except Cary. Howecer, a gun that small may fall under the "small gun ban" in Chapel Hill, where it is illegal to carry any gun with a total length less than 6"
Sec. 11-134. - Prohibition on display of small handguns.
(a) No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.
(b) For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.
(c) For purposes of this article, the length of a handgun shall be determined as follows:
(1) As the length of a line drawn from the tip of the barrel of the handgun along the length of the barrel to the point where that line intersects with a perpendicular line drawn up from the point on the back of the handgrip farthest from the tip of the barrel; or,
(2) If the length of the handgun measured along the barrel extends back beyond the point where the lines described in (c)(1) above intersect, the length shall be determined by the length of the gun measured straight back from the tip of the barrel for the full length of the gun; or
(3) If the handgun does not have a handgrip, the length shall be determined by measuring the overall length of the weapon by a straight line connecting the tip of the barrel to the point farthest away from the tip of the barrel.​
(d) This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties.​
[align=left]
[/align]