• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Police interaction

protias

imported post

Today I was eating lunch at China Wok in Sussex (arrived ~11:15). When I parked my car, I noticed a state trooper and thought it was strange he was there as I have never seen state police in the town. I went to my trunk to grab my firearm, placed the case on top of the trunk, put the magazine in my XD45, put the XD in my holster and proceeded into the restaurant. I had ordered my food, sat down, finished my meal by 11:30. Almost as soon as I finished, two LEOs had walked in and a third about 10 seconds later. He had looked at my holstered firearm with a strange face, told me not to touch it, asked the lady working there if they allowed guns in the store. Originally she said no and the one LEO told me they do not allow guns in the restaurant. I told him I was unaware of that and I had been there several times before. He then sort of backed of and asked the lady again, to which she did not want to answer.

I am glad I had my video camera with me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZVz0V-bek0

One thing that really perturbed me was one the LEO that was parked there said to me I should notify them when I plan on taking my gun out.

I assume they are located at the station in Waukesha, so I will be writing a letter to their captain.

Edit: I changed the Youtube channel.

Edit 2: Just to get a rough estimate for the OC event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?invites&eid=309316339646

We will be starting at Starbucks at 12:30 PM on Sunday, get something warm to drink, then head down to the State Patrol office in Waukesha at 1PM. After that, we will head to China Wok for dinner.

Starbucks
N65W24950 Main Street
Sussex, WI 53089

State Patrol
21115 East Moreland Boulevard
Waukesha, WI 53186-2985

China Wok
N65W24838 Main St.
Sussex, WI 53089

Pictures of my "cop car" are on page 3.

Edit 3: This is a peaceable rally. Posters that have anything demeaning on them, I will personally ask you to put it away or leave.

As far as where we can walk, there are no sidewalks and there is a school ~1,250 feet east of the state trooper location. Stay west of the eastern driveway and we are safe.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I watched/listened to it. I'd file a complaint against the officer immediately.

If the officer didn't notice a sign, then the don't prohibit. When she said the didn't allow guns, and he told you to secure it, you should have asked him if he was going to "secure" his, as he coerced her into stating they didn't allow guns, then that means LEO can't carry there either.

File the complaint with the chief for coercion and harassment!

protias

imported post

That is a very good question. I suppose if they aren't around, we don't have to knock on their window to tell them this. I would think that would freak them out more than how we are suppose to do it. If they would just get rid of the prohibition to vehicle carry, that "concern" would not have existed.

Edit: bnh, I will go to the station tomorrow and file the complaint. I wanted to ask him that, but I was leaving anyway to go do my bullseye league. I should have stayed and I know I should have gotten each one of the officer's names, but I'm sure they have a list of officers at the station, or they may be able to track the cruisers down to that location. I will find out tomorrow.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

As vitally needed as gun rights training is for these cops, so is training on trespass law.

Southeast Region Wisconsin State Patrol Waukesha Post Captain Varla J. Bishop, Commander
Lieutenant Theodore J. Meagher, Executive Officer
21115 East Moreland Boulevard
Waukesha, WI 53186-2985
Phone: (262) 785-4700
Fax: (262) 785-4723
Waukesha Post counties:
Serves Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha

protias

imported post

So when I go tomorrow, should I bring a copy of this video on a DVD?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NO

You don't need the video at this time. You file your complaint. You make several copies of the video, but you don't give it to them.

This officer coerced the business in a direct attempt to harass you, and then after the manager caved to the coercion, the officers themselves became in violation of the stated police by not securing their own firearms in the vehicle.

protias

imported post

Thank you Doug and Hubert.. At time time, I will just make a copies of the video and store it in a safe location, just in case my computer dies.

imported post

You may be breaking new ground, plowing new fields. I am laying here poolside in Kihei, Maui reading on my PC/Kindle 'The Logic of Scientific Discovery'. I took a break to read the DoT web site and see no "Inspector General" or "Internal Affairs" listing. The best I see so far, access to command outside your local contact is Office of Public Affairs mailto://opa.exec@dot.state.wi.us

Good luck.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I agree the officer's feelings were hurt because he found out that he is not the only person to be able to carry a fire arm. He then pressured the employee to agree that they do not allow guns even though there is no sign posted.

I would have told the officer that I wanted to hear the owner say I had to leave as the officer does not have the authority to ask you to leave private property with out the owners consent first.

I have a thought on this. Why not make up a sign that says," We support 2nd Amendment Rights?" Take the sign to the restaurant and ask the owner if they will post the sign at the door. This should make things clear. Either the owner does support 2A Rights or he doesn't. If he doesn't then I suggest spending your money elsewhere.

Don't wait. Do this right away before the owner and the employees forget about the incident.

Any thoughts?

Landose_theghost

imported post

I like how he noticed your camera and then carefullysaid "Well if they allowed it,it'd be fine cuz obviously, 2nd ammendment"(nice one there mr. officer!:lol:)I've got five bux that says had you not had your camera on you, things would have gone down VERY differently.

Ah the video camera, aside from your sidearm it's another tool no OC'r should leave home without! Kudos on how you handled things btw...

XDFDE45

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I agree the officer's feelings were hurt because he found out that he is not the only person to be able to carry a fire arm. He then pressured the employee to agree that they do not allow guns even though there is no sign posted.

I would have told the officer that I wanted to hear the owner say I had to leave as the officer does not have the authority to ask you to leave private property with out the owners consent first.

I have a thought on this. Why not make up a sign that says," We support 2nd Amendment Rights?" Take the sign to the restaurant and ask the owner if they will post the sign at the door. This should make things clear. Either the owner does support 2A Rights or he doesn't. If he doesn't then I suggest spending your money elsewhere.

Don't wait. Do this right away before the owner and the employees forget about the incident.

Any thoughts?
I like that. Not just there but anyplace you frequent to see how the owners/managers feel about OC.

protias

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
You may be breaking new ground, plowing new fields. I am laying here poolside in Kihei, Maui reading on my PC/Kindle 'The Logic of Scientific Discovery'. I took a break to read the DoT web site and see no "Inspector General" or "Internal Affairs" listing. The best I see so far, access to command outside your local contact is Office of Public Affairs mailto://opa.exec@dot.state.wi.us

Good luck.
What do I say? Do I just describe what happened?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Get a phone number for the state troopers...and each time you are about to pull your gun out...call the number and let them know. Would be pretty funny I'd think :D

protias

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Any thoughts?
They were probably all hurt that I was able to defend myself (and probably because my caliber is larger than theirs :p).

As I have a bunch of free time at the moment, I may have to start contacting businesses. Thank you for the idea!

As for China Wok, I will stop by there tomorrow with the WI state statutes and our Constitution (although, for citizenship I assume you have to know the US Constitution, but then again, maybe not).

protias

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
I like how he noticed your camera and then carefullysaid "Well if they allowed it,it'd be fine cuz obviously, 2nd ammendment"(nice one there mr. officer!:lol:)I've got five bux that says had you not had your camera on you, things would have gone down VERY differently.

Ah the video camera, aside from your sidearm it's another tool no OC'r should leave home without! Kudos on how you handled things btw...
Thank you Landose. I'm not sure he noticed it as a camera, he may have thought it to be a cell phone.

protias

imported post

I just remember something, China Wok does have cameras there. I wonder if it has audio as well? Probably not as many CCTV systems do not.

imported post

I would complain that the officer/s exceeded their authority to make these statements and questions. They were in uniform, there were more than one, you reasonably believed that these were commands/instructions made under color of law.

told me not to touch it,

asked the lady working there if they allowed guns in the store

one LEO told me they do not allow guns in the restaurant

He then sort of backed of and asked the lady again

I should notify them when I plan on taking my gun out.

They needlessly interfered with your lawful activity.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Idon't understand why,when an officer seesone of us OC'n they get all bunched up and start with all the "Don't touch that weapon" crap.Question is, and I 've always asked this, why do they worry about our guns that they can clearly see? I mean obviously if we had cruel intentions we would certainly not OC, not to mention OC while enjoyingourlunch:banghead:.