• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Police interaction

bigdaddy1

imported post

Slidell Jim wrote:
My theory on the incident and the subsequent involvement by the SO is this:

After the State trooper saw you retrieve your firearm from the trunk and enter the eatery, his 2 fellow officers arrived, and they talk for a minute outside about what they should do, they cant just let the guy live free, or eat their food.
they could have had a conversation like this
"hey look at his car right here, do you think he is a fellow LEO?"
"might be, look at the radio equipment on the trunk, he could be a LEO."
"lets run the plates, get his name, and see, maybe he has some priors" - so they run the plates and it comes back private citizen (no warrants or priors), but they mention on that call that the car "LOOKS like a police cruizer"
- that is the tip off to the locals that you "might be impersonating a LEO"

then maybe it goes down like this when they talk again
"well what do we do?, we can just let the guy eat in there with a gun open carry?" "because this is "our" lunch spot. yeah, lets get him out of there."
"but it seem like he has broken no laws, ya' know the 2A and all that stuff about PC"
"oh yeah that's right, but that's no excuse for him to eat at our lunch spot , he's probably eating the last egg roll right now!"
"and tomorrow it will be the Krispy Kreme."
"hey I know, lets go ask the owner of the biz about it, and maybe then we can kick him out and enjoy the buffet all to ourselves" "yum yum - oink oink!!"
"ok, sounds good. You saw him first, so you enter first, we'll just go secure the buffet for you, oink"

meanwhile back at the Ranch, the local Sheriff Office decide to look into the report by the staties that this plate called in "might be an impersonator" - they have to wait until much later in the evening for things to die down a bit before they have 3,4, or 5 officer freed up to come to your house.
Hyundai Elantra, doesnt look anything like a cruiser, police or otherwise :lol:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

anmut wrote:
Don't OC in Stevens Point as there's an illegal ordinance on the books right now that would subject you to a $300 fine if you are caught with a "firearm in a public place"
BULL SH1T!!

I have carried in many places in SP literally hundreds of times. 66.0409 says they cannot enforce the ordinance, and LEO knows they cannot enforce the ordinance.

You have to work to get the ordinance off the books, but as to carry.....

I will be in Marshfield next weekend. Probably arrive in the area Friday evening. Send me a PM, we meet up and have dinner in SP.

Read up, Load up, Holster up, and Carry On.

Landose_theghost

imported post

RE: BigDaddy1-

Well not unless your in China.:lol:

Korean_police_car_2.jpg

anmut

imported post

"ok, sounds good. You saw him first, so you enter first, we'll just go secure the buffet for you, oink""

Almost shot water out of my nose!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I agree the officer's feelings were hurt because he found out that he is not the only person to be able to carry a fire arm. He then pressured the employee to agree that they do not allow guns even though there is no sign posted.

I would have told the officer that I wanted to hear the owner say I had to leave as the officer does not have the authority to ask you to leave private property with out the owners consent first.

I have a thought on this. Why not make up a sign that says," We support 2nd Amendment Rights?" Take the sign to the restaurant and ask the owner if they will post the sign at the door. This should make things clear. Either the owner does support 2A Rights or he doesn't. If he doesn't then I suggest spending your money elsewhere.

Don't wait. Do this right away before the owner and the employees forget about the incident.

Any thoughts?
Why force them to make a public decision/statement? Be careful what you ask for - you just might not get what you want.

Drawing a line in the sand does not make friends or convert fence sitters - it does promote separation and intolerance.

The very fact that they have a history of being OC friendly speaks volumes. Would I have a nice polite talk with the owner and even apologize for the rude and misinformed officer? Of course.

Yata hey

protias

imported post

I just spoke with both Starbucks and China Wok to let them know there will be a bunch of people coming to both of them.

protias

imported post

I also spoke with the Lieutenant in Sussex and agreed that after 10 PM is a little late to do an "investigation" on the complaint my car had "police type equipment" in it. He will discuss the matter with his officers and he is going to follow up on my open records request.

protias

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
So, what of your complaint, separate from the FOIA?

The FOIA is prelude and foundation for a civil action. The complaint is another thing.
Of the officers showing up at my house so late? I don't know the exact question you are asking.

anmut

imported post

I still cannot believe that they came to your house and tried to intimidate you like that. That is some really slippery-slope law enforcement. Next time I wonder if they'll wear their red arm bands on the outside of the uniform.

lowdog

imported post

logan wrote:
anmut wrote:
lowdog wrote:
Grew up in Meno. Falls and now reside in Iowa. I will be in Stevens Point on fri. nite and sat. and should be heading back to Iowa on sun. Looks like I will have to make a stop out to see you folks for a hour or so before making it back. Where is the starbucks in sussex? I am assuming its on main but its been a while. One other thing out of state people like myself can open carry in wi correct???
Don't OC in Stevens Point as there's an illegal ordinance on the books right now that would subject you to a $300 fine if you are caught with a "firearm in a public place"
Looks like somebody needs to go get that $300 fine and fight it in court!

I hope you were not talking about me. I am all for helping out my former wisconsinites on this but SP to Waterloo Iowa is a cruise my friend.
I am getting a little tired of pulling over and taking my gun off when I come back home though, but not that tired. lol

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

protias wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:
I just spoke with both Starbucks and China Wok to let them know there will be a bunch of people coming to both of them.
Did you mention to them "armed people?"
I did not. Should I?
Well, I don't know. What was the last word you got from them regarding a policy on firearms? Have you received word that it is different than it was when you were told to leave by the state patrol? If not, could you be risking a trespass citation if you return while armed? The rest of us have not been told to leave or not to bring a gun into the restaurant. Any alleged "no gun" policy is mere hearsay for us, but you have first-hand knowledge of their policy.

As for being told there is no official record of the incident, since you were visited later that evening by the county boys, obviously they had to find out your identification and address through some means-- most likely by running your plate number. There is no record that they ran your plates? I find that somewhat implausible.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Are you filing a complaint or two? Are you pursuing FOIA requests against the state and/or the county?
Protias, speaking as one who has been dragged through the legal system more than once, think twice before opening that can of worms. It will be an uphill battle and at the best a Phyrric victory.

I'm thinking that the best you can walk away with here is the satisfaction you will receive from rallying the troops and possibly an apology from the staties (doubtful but possible).

Don't let anyone push you into anything that will become uncomfortable to you later.

WIfreeman

imported post

There a big debate heating up over at arfcom about this case, here is a quote from someone claiming to be a cop there

"There is so much BS on this thread I can't believe it. You people with your OC'ing are the extemeists that give normal every day gun owners the bad name. People think your nutz and then when I stick up for OC'ers at work or anywhere else I look like the moron. And you don't help mattters by protecting "your rights" blah blah blah. You remind me of those people who like to cry to the ACLU wah wah wah. My safety comes before your rights. Let us not forget about the myltiple law enforcement officers killed in the state of washington just a few months ago. Guess what they were in a sit down joint and some guy bounced in with a gun and lit the place up like christmas. Huh yeah as a cop i'm just gonna sit down for a lunch by the guy I don't know with a gun on his hip and just casually eat my food. You guys want to open carry. Fine. I no longer agree with it after reading this thread even though I have been a supporter for a long time. You guys are cry baby's who go out looking to get in a confrontation with a cop about "your rights". Well I take offense to that and because of that I no longer support "your right". Congratz you just made one more enemy in the LEO field. But back to my main point. You guys want to open carry ok fine do it. But with your "right" comes some stipulations. Any street cop worth his salt is gonna see a guy walking around with a gun and ask questions. Be it to the person carrying or to the person who owns the business. And if he doesn't then he is doing a dis-service to the public who he is charged to protect. And to be honest you got lucky. That trooper was EXTREMLY polite and professional. I do not believe I would have handled that situation as nicely as he did. He saw a man with a gun, investigated if the business allowed them, and then took action. No problems with anything he did. He did his job. Also there is no prohibition against a LEO coming up to a citizen and having a conversation.

I do not know if this is true but have heard it on other threads is that the "victim"(if you can go as far as calling spielberg the victim) pulled his vehicle into the lot next to the troopers vehicle and pulled his gun out of the trunk loaded and cycled the action. Stuffed the gun in the holser and bounced inside the store. Yes questionsare going to be asked when your going looking for a confrontation. And you posters in this thread saying the car does not have some appearance of a squad car are either blind or you know it does but don't want to admit the truth. The car is decked out to look like a squad car. Bottom line. Scanners antennas and I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had a computer hook up or a red light. It looks enough like a cop car to raise some eyebrows. Oh and you tint is pretty dark there. Might even be illegal but I can't tell 100% from the picture. You know,since your so law abiding just make sure to get it checked out. I would also like to know what kind of clothing you had on during this altercation. If it is police'ish or not. If you ask me the guy with the camera deep down is a wannabe cop who never made it into the field for whatever reason and now runs around with his antenna'ed up car and his scanners and now with his gun on his hip.

But really you guys are as bad as all these civil rights/Free speech rights people. You take a law that has a valid purpose or intent and take this hardline stance that you just end up looking like a dope. I can go around to every person I see every day and say "f_ck you" and as long as I don't go about it in a disorderly manner its legal. I could think of a dozen other things that I could do because its legal but I don't because then i'de be an a$$hole. So enjoy your OC'ing, your protest, and your "rights". But in the end your doing more harm than good the the larger cause."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=21&t=397843&page=3

protias

imported post

Are you filing a complaint or two? Are you pursuing FOIA requests against the state and/or the county?
I filed open records requests for both the state troopers and the county, as well as filed complaints against how each of the officers acted and my recommendations on how things could have been handled better. Both supervisors I spoke with agreed with my points.