• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Police interaction

Slidell Jim

imported post

I would have been very tempted to turn the tables on them....

Go secure your weapon in the vehicle then return to the resturant, ask for the OWNER and see if they allow guns in there... she replies NO, then you have a couple of options...

1. ask the owner to ask them to leave, say you dont feel safe in there with 3 armed men around, especially since you cant provide protection for yourself. The cops will say they are exempt or something..... but the owner has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, right?

2. an anonymous MWAG (times 3) to the local PD, "they are armed and have been intimidating the waitress, harassing the paying customers, and telling them they have to leave" - that will get their blood boiling, but probably wont fix anything

3. walk in and hit the deck, start screaming "dont taze me dude!"

4. walk in just carry your holster, or stick a bannana in it, al-la Kalifornia, and graciously Thank the officers for "providing security" during your lunch.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I hope the troopers all promptly left their firearms in their vehicles upon hearing the "no guns" policy.

I would have laughed hard if she said to the troopers, "Yes, he has to leave. And so do you!"

M

McX

imported post

simon sez; don't touch your firearm

simon sez; call us when your going to go out with your firearm

simon sez; lady behind the counter, no guns allowed..........RIGHT???!!!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Protias;

It's unfortunate that so many leos take up their professions with a thirst for power and fuel for their egoes. I noticed that of the three officers only one was proactive. Probably showing off in front of his buddies. Your video camera obviously changed the tune of the interaction. I noticed one officer in the background moved out of range of the camera. I think the one officer was playing "Tackleberry". If I remember correctly (it's risky but you'll have to trust my memory) but I seem to recall that the State Patrol was the only law enforcement agency that didn't protest the Personal Protection Act. I would be suprised if you don't find a sympathetic ear at headquarters. I hope you got the officer's name and badge number.

protias

imported post

Lammie wrote:
Protias;

It's unfortunate that so many leos take up their professions with a thirst for power and fuel for their egoes. I noticed that of the three officers only one was proactive. Probably showing off in front of his buddies. Your video camera obviously changed the tune of the interaction. I noticed one officer in the background moved out of range of the camera. I think the one officer was playing "Tackleberry". If I remember correctly (it's risky but you'll have to trust my memory) but I seem to recall that the State Patrol was the only law enforcement agency that didn't protest the Personal Protection Act. I would be suprised if you don't find a sympathetic ear at headquarters. I hope you got the officer's name and badge number.
Yes, that was Tackleberry who was very "assertive."

anmut

imported post

Congrats on handing it correctly. Boo to the LEO that probably would have walked all over your rights had that camera not been running.

protias

imported post

anmut wrote:
Congrats on handing it correctly. Boo to the LEO that probably would have walked all over your rights had that camera not been running.
Honestly, I don't think he saw the camera as it almost looks like a phone (Ultra Flip HD).

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Kudos to you Protias for handling the situation in a level headed manner and may I add a much more level head then the Officer who seemed panicked that you had a fire arm.

Now go after them through the system like a rabid dog. don't let up and don't forget to go back to the restaurant and ask them if they would post a sign stating they support 2A Rights.

protias

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Kudos to you Protius for handling the situation in a level headed manner and may I add a much more level head then the Officer who seemed panicked that you had a fire arm.

Now go after them through the system like a rabid dog. don't let up and don't forget to go back to the restaurant and ask them if they would post a sign stating they support 2A Rights.
Oh believe me, those LEOs lit a fire underneath me. I have already printed out the Wisconsin Case Laws and Statutes, Bill of Rights, and the quick reference guide for WI carry laws (made by Hubert). I will be go back to China Wok with these in hand and see if I can speak with the owner (I'm pretty sure it is owned by the family, so there may be more than one) tomorrow and if I cannot talk with someone then, I will schedule something to talk with them another time. As for the LEOs, I will be filing a complaint at the Waukesha station tomorrow morning. I have printed this thread of for my reference but will not give it to them. My biggest hurdle will be finding out the three officers' names, but I'm sure that can be found out quickly.

I will be making something for the restaurant to put up saying they support OC and if they do not, then I will politely tell them I will no longer be eating any food there (George Webbs is a couple hundred feet away and they never mind me carrying there).

M

McX

imported post

protias, could you pm (or email) me a copy of the quick reference carry laws guide?

bmtpbm

imported post

At what point do the actions of police officers rise to disorderly conduct? It's obvious that the intimidating coercion and harassment were meant to cause employees and patrons to feel bad at this business. Perhaps it was to punish the business for allowing lawful open carry. The message sent to the owners that there will be trouble if open carry is allowed here. Why were the officers only concerned about open carry at this establishment and not other things? It can only mean that a certain individual was targeted by the police.

protias

imported post

I just had three Waukesha County deputies (whose names I did get) stop by my house for concerns I may be impersonating a police officer because of how my car looks. I have a police scanner and CB radio in there.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I'm searching the statutes as I write. There may be a county ordinance and that is why it was SO rather than DoT visiting.

946.70 Impersonating peace officers.
(1) Except as provided in sub. (2), whoever impersonates a peace officer with intent to mislead others into believing that the person is actually a peace officer is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Any person violating sub. (1) with the intent to commit or aid or abet the commission of a crime other than the crime under this section is guilty of a Class H felony.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1985 a. 97, 332; 2001 a. 109.
Cross−reference: See s. 125.105 for the offense of impersonating an employee of the department of revenue or the department of justice.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

protias wrote:
I just had three Waukesha County deputies (whose names I did get) stop by my house for concerns I may be impersonating a police officer because of how my car looks. I have a police scanner and CB radio in there.
That's ridiculous. What does your car look like on the outside? Does it have red lights on top and a police logo on the side? Sheeshhh.... You are being messed with.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

protias wrote:
You have GOT to be kidding!

This is NOT an attack. We MUST ALWAYS get names and badge numbers of every officer we interact with. This is now harassment to the n'th degree.

I strongly suggest you start getting your friends to start contacting ALL media first thing tomorrow. Have then write, email, call and provide a very nice but clear message that you are being pursued by both the State Patrol and now the Sheriffs department for having broken no law, mere open carry is NOT A CRIME!

I would go down to the county seat as well tomorrow. Talk to the county clerk and request the necessary documents to lodge a harassment complaint against the Sheriff and the department.

Action is also required.

I suggest breakfast/coffee at Starbuks Saturday morning, while OC. Who is up for that?

Then a OC brunch at the same place you were at today.

And to finish off the day, an OC dinner at a local non-tavern/bar venue of your choosing. We need to bring as many OC participants into Waukesha as possible THIS Saturday. I had been planning an OC dinner here in La Crosse, but that looks like it will have to wait as we are once again "under attack."

protias

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:
That's ridiculous. What does your car look like on the outside? Does it have red lights on top and a police logo on the side? Sheeshhh.... You are being messed with.
He said they have undercover cars, but what undercover car looks like this? One of the officers said I should "think about my actions." On "how my car looks" and then "you're carrying a gun."

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg