• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post-Feb 13 OC meet-up range event--date/location?

S

scubabeme

imported post

At our Feb 13th meet at the Village Inn, we all had a great time. It's been suggested that our next get-together should be at an outdoor range. That idea seems to have been happily greeted with "open arms."

It seems like such a good idea that, rather than merely extending that thread for that last meeting, I'm starting a new thread for folks that didn't attend so theymight chime in on a thread that's not as obscure.

Obviously free is best,but relative safety is mandatory (meaning it probably shouldn't be an area with a reputation such as Rampart's--please confine commentsregardingall things "Rampart"to other threads) for obvious reasons, nevermind thatthis may be attended by non-shooting family members, and will almost certainly need to be outdoors due to potential attendance. Also location should as centralized as practical for all attendees. Itwould also be good if anyone who has experience as a range officerwould offer services in that capacity!

As I expect thiswould be aGIANT "cluster" trying to organize for such a potentially large number of attendeesand geographic area, how about first posting interest, your location, and possible range areas. After that "we" can see if enough interest exists in multiple areas to accommodate multiple sites, and start new threads accordingly.

Wow, does this sound like a horrible coordination effort, or what? Ok, just looking for thoughts on this, no formal coordination effort yet--at least not by me.

MF380LCP

imported post

It's really difficult to find a facility that isn't outrageous, is centrally located, and can host a large crowd. I'd love to attend if the timing is right. I'd also like to attend one of the open carry events. I would hope we could schedule one on the south end of Denver or even is Castle Rock in the future. It sounds like a hoot!

Beau

imported post

I think a group shoot is a good idea. If attending an outdoor range we should wait until the weather warms up a bit. Make it a shoot + BBQ.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

It would be great if we had a Public Lands Shooting area available, There is Cherry Creek State Park, but the pricing is extraordinary in addition the requirement to pay to get into the park, so I would say no to that. The other indoor firing ranges have enough traffic that they probably would not give a group of 10 or more any type of discount or confirmed range time, especially on a Sat or Sun. I am open to suggestions as well, as I believe I am the one that mentioned this type of event.

I swear I want to find a facility that would accomodate a new Indoor range for the South Part of town, I have investigated several locations but have meet with resistance from local gov'ts. I thought that the abandoned Pier 1 location here in Castle Rock would have been great, but I was a little slow in getting my research done. So Yes, count me in, and lets think of a good place for this to occur.

Beau

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While Rampart is close, many other areas in Pike National Forestare not.

And at 3 million acres, there's a lot of area.

From the USDA Forest Service Website:
Q40. Can I do recreational shooting on Mt. Herman Road?

[align=left]A. Although recreational shooting is generally permitted in the National Forest there are exceptions and conditions. The exceptions are normally outlined in Special Orders. In this case, Special Order 91-08 prohibits recreation/target shooting in all of El Paso County including the area west of Monument. You can obtain a map from us that shows you exactly where these restrictions apply. The best alternative area for recreation/target shooting west of Monument is off Mt. Herman Road and down Forest Development Road (FDR) 322A. This area is located in Teller County approximately six miles from Red Rocks Ranch Road. The other common sense conditions are as follows: (1) you cannot discharge a firearm in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area (2) you cannot discharge a firearm across or on a Forest Development road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge (3) you cannot discharge a firearm into or within any cave. I would also advise you to familiarize yourself with Colorado State law regarding possessing and transporting firearms.[/align]

Similarly, Arapaho National Forest also allows target shooting. See here for more information.

If I may, review these resources and let's come up with some place reasonably between Denver and Colorado Springs, since it appears the number of enthusiasts are relatively even between us.

cscitney87

imported post

Pike National Forest will be our best bet between Denver and Co Springs, eh? I see Highway 67 connecting the Denver metro and Co Springs metro. Similarly I see 105 doing the same, closer to I25. Could we find a connecting road to Pike National Forest off 67 or Highway 105? Hmm

I am still willing to carpool another 2 adults plus all their gear/food/supplies in the back of my SUV. I have to warn, though, the rear side window shattered in from the cold this morning- it's covered with 2 tarps! Not an awesome morning surprise to find.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I'm sure we could find a good shooting spot west of I-25 in Pike Nat'l Forest but there's a good chance that any of the roads will be rough. Rampart Range Rd, and Mt Herman road will probably be passable in an average car (not until the snow is gone though) but most of the forest roads deeper into the woods will require a high clearance vehicle and possibly a 4x4....

For a bit of reference, if anyone's shot at the Rampart Shooting area (prior to its closure), that part of Rampart Range Road is about the best anyone can expect the mountain roads to be.

I'm not worried, my truck will go anywhere, but just a heads up to anyone with a car....

ZackL

imported post

I'm up for it, depending on timing and such. I have an "extra-cab" Tacoma at my disposal so I can haul extra gear and people, if they don't mind being a little cramped. I do live about 45 minutes to an hour east of I-25 outside of the Springs so I like the Pike idea.

A side note: Would this be a pistols only event?

S

scubabeme

imported post

The only reasons I could see to exclude long guns is if the range selected simply couldn't safely accommodate them, or if some hunting regulation (I'm not a hunter so help me out here) might prohibit them.

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

Rampart Range Road intersects with Hwy 67 as you go west over to Sprucewood. This is a very popular ATV, Dirtbike riding area. There is no shooting permitted in this section of Pike National Forest and both Douglas County Sheriff and Forest service will issue a ticket and confiscate your firearams for discharge in this area, unless you are hunting with a valid license. The exception was he Shooting area closer to Garden of the Gods, but this has been closed, as already documented.

Any other suggestions?

Diocoles

imported post

Sure would be nice to find an outdoor range within at least an hour of Denver that doesn't cost $30 or more just to get into.

Outdoor shoot and BBQ sounds wonderful.

Wait for it to warm up though. Brrr.

cscitney87

imported post

We're so screwed... lol

No but in light of all these restricted areas I would also want to know if people are willing to follow me into Pike's National Forest via Private property access. This gains us immediate access to lawful areas to shoot- but its a rough hike as the terrain isn't leveled for a trail. No way around that part. It's a pack in-pack out situation- but I could most likely make it happen.

Cannot seem to make a link happen so just Google Maps
Ptarmigan Trail, Bailey, CO 80421

S

scubabeme

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
but its a rough hike as the terrain isn't leveled for a trail...It's a pack in-pack out situation
A very definite "wait until it warms up" locale, I'd say! When does the snow normally clear well enough to hike in--without snowshoes?!?!

S

scubabeme

imported post

Ok, so here we are--END of May. Man time flies! What's everyone think?