• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you Want/Need.....

STOGIE

imported post

I've been givin a kind of assignment and I'm turning to you guys for your opinions... in a kind of brainstorming kinda thread....

What would you like to see offered by your local Gun Shop that they don't offer already?
...and/or...
What kind of things does your favorite gun shop offer that you haven't seen at any other shops around?

and any other ideas that you think would help in boosting business?

Thanks in advance!

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

I just asked a friend to transport highly specified ammo 1700 miles to me. The clerk at the gun shop had never heard of Federal EFMJ and wasn't interested in ordering it. The price of this pistol ammo is up to where .308 used to be - $1 per cartridge. Ammoman has been OOS every time I look for a long time now.

I feel the urge to splurge.

Clerks in general must learn that the customer is always right.

STOGIE

imported post

I'd like to see of course more products; accessories, ammo, guns of all kinds (but that goes without saying), Basic gunsmith classes for the beginners, IDPA, IPSC & USPSA training sessions, self defense scenario lessons, maybe an outreach and education classes for children and parents together and promoting the NRA in a family atmosphere, Question & answer sessions with local, state, and National representatives, an intranet keyosk for customers to surf the shop's website for orders/ideas to free up some of the staff for face to face service.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As far as guns go, that I can legally buy as any other normal law-abiding citizen can, are either available or can be purchased through a local dealer or transfered through one, so that isn't a problem.

Like the others have said, classes on more than just safety, handling, combat training, etc. Gunsmithing and similar things. Hell, even a firearms identification and familiarization course would be nice. There are all kinds of pistols out there with their own quirks, benefits, problems and it would be good to get a high level overview of different guns out there and how they have been perceived to work in the field. For example, Taurus revolvers seem to be a hot topic. There are people that like love them and those that loathe them. I have heard many stories about their built quality (or lack there of) and such. I want information like that, kind of like a Consumer Reports but more hands on or more personal than finding a website or having to subscribe to a magazine and wait for them to review this gun or that gun because they won't get to them all and often don't revisit older weapons. Same for different types of ammunition too.

Sound reasonable?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What I'd like to see is the few gun shops that seem to feel that the customers are a major pain disappear. I'd also like to see those who do not want to bother with transfers just stop doing them instead of charging 2 to 5 times the local going rate.

I've got a small shop associated with a range that will order anything I can legally receive - no matter how strange, oddball, or rediculous. They understand the fact that my business means the ability to meet payroll and see a profit. On top of that, if an item is not "carried" by their distributors they will help me find where I can get it as an individual and if it needs to go through an FFL they have no problem providing that service.

Maybe more days/more convenient hours when I can step in front of the bay barriers and practice draw&shoot, move&shoot/shoot&move and all that fun stuff.

Heck! Generally speaking my life is good compared to what I hear others have to put up with.

stay safe.

skidmark

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark, you bring up an interesting point,

What I and most other enthusiasts and owners in my area need, are not more gun stores or services at these stores, we need more ranges, indoor and outdoor. There is one, count it, one gun range in my county, and it is in city limits, it is open no later than 7pm on any day, it is nice, but is the only one. They only allow pistol calibers from .22LR up to .44mag and 45 ACP/LC and they have two sides, one to 15 yards and another to 25 yards. We need outdoor and indoor ranges that allows rifles and shotguns and with longer ranges. It gets PACKED on some days and sometimes a waiting list must be implemented.

Sure, liability, noise ordinances, public opinion, blah blah blah. I'm told of another range(s) in my county but I can't seem to get information on them except heresay and at least one of them that supposedly is still in operation is very private. I have to go to another adjacent county to find a range with another set of memberships and that can get pricey on gas because both ways, it is an hour and a half trip. Uwharrie National Forest has a sort of "police yourself" cheap pay per day or per year range but it isn't exactly close by.

shad0wfax

imported post

STOGIE wrote:
What would you like to see offered by your local Gun Shop that they don't offer already?
40mm grenades for M203 launchers other than the silly training smokes and flares. They're an SOT that can sell Destructive Devices lawfully, but they simply can't get the HE or HEDP 40mm munitions that would make owning the tube worthwhile.

Are you listening Rheinmetall Defence? Start supplying my local SOT with the good stuff!

Pace

imported post

Combine Starbucks, Firing Range, Gun-Shop, and Roberto's Italian Restaurant in the Bronx.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

OC freindly

Most of all, I have a problem with ranges not letting us train for actual defense. There is only one range I know of, (and only one range I use) or recommend, who allows this. Most ranges only let you shoot one every 2 or 3 seconds, no holster draw, rapid fire, double taps, and all from a standing position.

Someone posted already about digital voice or video recorders, thats a great idea!

Dreamer

imported post

Good advice and a comprenehsive understanding of state and local gun laws. I find that VERY few gun store employees have a clue as to what the laws actually are when it comes to things lie CC, OC, transfers and NFA...

And training classes or workshops on IPSC/USPSA or IDPA would be nice too.

And some freaking amo would be nice, particularly bulk .45acp ball ammo and some CCI MiniMags in .22LR. I haven't been able to find EITHER of those types of ammo within 2 hours of my house for about 2 months...

Statesman

imported post

1) PLEASE be Open Carry friendly. Nothing makes open carriers do business elsewhere faster than gun stores that are anti-OC.

and any other ideas that you think would help in boosting business?

2) If you need an idea to promote business locally, look no further than http://www.innocentsbetrayed.com/. This single DVD has turned me into a gun rights activist, and it has that effect on many people who watch it. Those who are anti-gun, either become less so, or change sides after being properly educated with historical facts regarding gun control.

Innocents Betrayed is a gun stores best friend.

All gun stores need to be selling this DVD to the public, and they should have it on the front counter where it is visible during checkout. First time customers will find the historical reasons why they need to:

1) Stock up on ammo
2) Buy more guns
3) Sign up for NRA and GOA memberships, and get involved in gun rights.

Do not underestimate a DVD that historically shows your customers WHY they should be armed. This DVD will turn your customers into repeat customers.

Please watch this on youtube also. Just search for "Innocents Betrayed"

Pace

imported post

Train for actual defense: Some do, and they require you to prove your ability through their Range master. I've never been to a range that wont allow me, because of my credentials in shooting.

OpenCarry Issues: Much of it has nothing to do with the store, but instead their insurance unfortunately. It's hard to get insurance running a gun store, and many insurance companies will only allow carry in the range, and that insurance is very, very costly. Gun stores have decided instead of going out of business, they have to prohibit carried, loaded weapons.

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Boy, some of you folks that have range problems need to move to the SF Bay area. I won't take this thread any more off topic by including links, but this area has awesome ranges.

For the store, I'd like to see big, bright and family shopper friendly. Most shops around here are great for outdoor enthusiasts with a liking for hardware store ambiance. Need something that will make women and kids feel invited.

The idea of having a coffee bar or such is not a bad idea as it could bring in extra revenue. There's money to be made with SASS clothing and gear, but I never see that in any shops.

I can't expect any shop to have everything so perhaps an online ordering method for store pickup or in store catalog sale?

Guy B. Meredith

imported post

Lose some, gain some I guess. Three outdoor ranges within 30 miles that have PPC, IPSC, IDPA, etc., etc., etc. Three more indoors or outdoors for marksmanship. Amazing for this area. More ranges here than we ever had in Orange County when I lived there in its highly conservative and rural days up into the 1960s.

http://www.chabotgunclub.com for one.