• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hiking W/ oc

mcdowellkm

imported post

Hey guys,

New here, but been with illinois carry for quite a while now praying to someday get a ccw in illinois. anyways my question is this...In late march some friends of mine and i are taking a hiking trip in southern missouri along the ozark trail current river section...I know that missouri is an open carry state but i had heard at one time that OC wasn't allowed inside of national parks and riverways, i have also heard that a law was recently past allowing OC in national parks as long as it coincides with state laws. would i be allowed to OC while on our hiking trip??? and if so could someone point me to the exact literature that states so. Like here in illinois...a person is allowed to carry a pistol in a glove box or console uncased being as how the glove box or console is technically considered a case and there is no restriction on magazines loaded or not providing they are not in the pistol. Now not every cop in illinois knows that soalong with my pistol i carry a copy on the bill that allows me this right. When i go to missouri if i can carry i would also find in beneficial to keep my right in writing on my person just in case.

thanks guys Kyle

Article1section23

imported post

mcdowellkm wrote:
Hey guys,

New here, but been with illinois carry for quite a while now praying to someday get a ccw in illinois. anyways my question is this...In late march some friends of mine and i are taking a hiking trip in southern missouri along the ozark trail current river section...I know that missouri is an open carry state but i had heard at one time that OC wasn't allowed inside of national parks and riverways, i have also heard that a law was recently past allowing OC in national parks as long as it coincides with state laws. would i be allowed to OC while on our hiking trip??? and if so could someone point me to the exact literature that states so. Like here in illinois...a person is allowed to carry a pistol in a glove box or console uncased being as how the glove box or console is technically considered a case and there is no restriction on magazines loaded or not providing they are not in the pistol. Now not every cop in illinois knows that soalong with my pistol i carry a copy on the bill that allows me this right. When i go to missouri if i can carry i would also find in beneficial to keep my right in writing on my person just in case.

thanks guys Kyle

Kyle,

You can find our weapon offenses here. I think its 2/22, that the fed law goes into effect. I don't see any issues with it, do not carry in any buildings owned by state or federal gov.

Section 1. Subdivision (8) "into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government...)

unless you have a ccw, then

Subsection #4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Also, let us know what cities you will be in and we can try to research those for you also.

Just my opinion, but that's the way I read it. Just to make sure, your talking about Van Buren, Mo correct? That is very nice part of the state...make sure you carry at least a .40 or they might laugh at you. :lol:

Lets see if others have a different opinion or live down that way and know for sure.

brolin_1911a1

imported post

Shawn wrot
Kyle,

You can find our weapon offenses here. I think its 2/22, that the fed law goes into effect. I don't see any issues with it, do not carry in any buildings owned by state or federal gov.

Section 1. Subdivision (8) "into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government...)

Subsection #4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state. ...

:lol:

Lets see if others have a different opinion or live down that way and know for sure.
Shawn, the section you quoted from was RSMo. 571.030. But the ban on any building owned or occupied by any agency of a federal government is restated for CCW holders in RSMo. 571.107 (9). It's easier to post the link to the entire section than selectively quote that subsection. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM. In any case, since Kyle's from Illinois he probably won't have a CCW permit and he'll be just fine legally OC'ing as long as he doesn't enter any state or federally owned buildings while packing once the new federal law goes into effect on Feb. 22, 2010.

Article1section23

imported post

brolin_1911a1 wrote:
Shawn wrot
Kyle,

Subsection #4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state. ...

:lol:

Shawn, the section you quoted from was RSMo. 571.030. But the ban on any building owned or occupied by any agency of a federal government is restated for CCW holders in RSMo. 571.107 (9). It's easier to post the link to the entire section than selectively quote that subsection. http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM. In any case, since Kyle's from Illinois he probably won't have a CCW permit and he'll be just fine legally OC'ing as long as he doesn't enter any state or federally owned buildings while packing once the new federal law goes into effect on Feb. 22, 2010.
Brolin,

The original question was about OCin a "National Park" and riverway.571.030 is the correct statue to look at and here is my explanation.

Today, there is no state law that prohibits OC in any "National Park" withinMissouri, just "intoany building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government".

Now, 571.107 (9) does prohibit concealed carry "Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law" with a CCW. This means,today, state law does not allowCCW in a "National Park" with your ccw permit, because its prohibited by federal law, until 2/22/2010.

571.030 (8) makes no reference to CCW orOC and the offense is if the firearm is carried "intoany building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government"

The offense for OC "intoany building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government" is removed by571.030 subsection #4. if the person has a valid CCW. BUT it will still be an offense, under state law, to OC "intoany building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government" without a CCW, EVEN after 2/22/2010.

Respectfully submitted and this is not legal advice.