• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which restaurant carry bill do we want to pass?

hometheaterman

imported post

Which restaurant carry bill do we want to pass? I've read about the HB505 however, I saw that SB334 is also supposed to be a bill that's similar. If SB334 passes the senate does it go to the house? Do we want both to pass or just one? If so which one?

virginiatuck

imported post

Additionally, it doesn't matter to me which gets passed; hb505 and sb334 have the same effect on me, as a non-LEO. Honestly I think whichever bill passes should specify "while on official duty" or something to that effect. However, HB505's current form does not explicitly define the penalty for violating J3. So I guess it defaults to a Class 1 Misdemeanor??

SB334 explicitly sets the penalty as a Class 2 Misdemeanor for violation of J3.

So I guess SB334 is the better bill of the two, not that I plan to violate it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Realistically, none of these bills will have any great effect on me. :)

Still I think that having the option is a major step forward.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

ccunning wrote:
VCDL President wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
DOA
Why is this bill DOA? Did I miss something? The VCDL Legislature Tracking tool still shows it in comittee.
It never got assigned to a subcommittee. Basically, the chairman decided he didn't want it to go any farther, so it didn't. I think I saw PVC refer to this as a pocket veto by the Speaker, but I'm not sure if it is the Speaker or the chair of the committee who makes that call.

ETA: Today (Tuesday) is the last day before "crossover day". Any bill that is not passed out of the House or Senate by the end of today is dead (so the calendars are rather full, and it's a good day to keep an eye on the sessions via the live feed). Tomorrow, those bills that have been passed out of their originating bodies are transferred over to the other side where they start the process all over again, being assigned to appropriate committees and sub-committees. Then, if reported out of there, back to that full body for voting.

TFred

nova

imported post

TFred wrote:
ETA: Today (Tuesday) is the last day before "crossover day". Any bill that is not passed out of the House or Senate by the end of today is dead (so the calendars are rather full, and it's a good day to keep an eye on the sessions via the live feed). Tomorrow, those bills that have been passed out of their originating bodies are transferred over to the other side where they start the process all over again, being assigned to appropriate committees and sub-committees. Then, if reported out of there, back to that full body for voting.

TFred
I'm disappointed I never heard about any college carry (for everyone not just faculty) bill.

What happened, vtsccc?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:
TFred wrote:
I'm disappointed I never heard about any college carry (for everyone not just faculty) bill.

What happened, vtsccc?
No sponsor - someone to place such a bill in the hopper.

Suspect that it was considered too controversial - this more than any other pro gun legislation likely would have galvanized the antis and other good bills might have suffered thereby. It isn't too difficult to ascertain the probability/support a bill might have before the GA - why submit a bill doomed from the start?

No one should be mislead into thinking that this is "our year" because the executive branch and House is conservative. The Senate is still populated with those that see government, rights and freedoms very differently than you and I.

Perhaps our greatest opportunity hinges on the next election.

Yata hey