• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a bank ?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Never carried in a bank here in CA, but only because it's about 150 feet away from a K-6.

Carried into a B of A in Apache Junction, AZ once. The "snow bird" standing in line in front of me was agitated at my liberty. She even mumbled under her breath to the teller and motioned back toward me. The teller smiled and whispered back, and then the snow bird stormed out of the bank.

Keep in mind that was one person out of at least 50 in the bank that busy Friday evening, over a period of at least 45 minutes.

I can't imagine why anybody living in a "free state" would refrain from carrying in a bank so long as it is not prohibited by law...

I still find it ironic that while we're restricted to "unloaded" in most places,some of the "free" states prohibit firearms in strange places, like banks and bars... and CA does NOT...baffles me...
In a state where being convicted of a DUI is more acceptable then gun ownership you wonder why?

They have worked way too hard to try and keep people from carrying to a point they likely thought it would be overkill.

papa Romeo

imported post

I just open carried in a bank for the first time the 27th. It was a surprisingly normal experience. I went in filled out a withdrawl form and was met with the usual polite service. My movements were just as ordinary as if I weren't carrying a gun and I was just as polite. No one mentioned the gun or seemed bothered but I heard that apparently police showed up long after I had completed my transaction and left.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

I've UOC'd countless times in Banks of many cities... Los Gatos, Santa Clara, Capitola, Modesto, Turlock, Atwater. Not once did anyone say anything. In fact, they seemed more at ease. I used to work as a bouncer and you could tell when someone was up to no-good. Just be confident and act yourself.

If you're concerned about getting into trouble for OC'ing in a bank then you will appear agitated and draw suspicion.

PincheOgro1

imported post

I have talked to a couple of rent a cops in front of banks.They no nothing of OC, and stated that if someone tried to enter the bank with a gun there would be problems.

Iopencarry

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
I have talked to a couple of rent a cops in front of banks.They no nothing of OC, and stated that if someone tried to enter the bank with a gun there would be problems.

come on, their 'rent a cops', do you honestly think they know the laws? They only know what their boss tells to to enforce.

most dont know their last name w/o looking at an ID tag.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Iopencarry wrote:
PincheOgro1 wrote:

come on, their 'rent a cops', do you honestly think they know the laws? They only know what their boss tells to to enforce.

most dont know their last name w/o looking at an ID tag.

I didn't want to sound like I was bashing rentacops. BUT you are correct. I'm just leary that if I get "stopped"/attacked by a rentacop, I'd hurt him and then I WOULD get in trouble. LOL

Iopencarry

imported post

they can stop you, and ask for you to leave. THAT is all. If you refuse to leave, then they can detain you, and do a CA, and call in the LEO's. for traspass only. (if you have broken no other law, ie cc)

as to if they attack you, they leave themselves open for all kinds of suits.

if anyone comes up from behind you, be it guards, cops, or anyone, and tries to take the gun, do what ever needs to be done to stop them. Their actions, dictate what actions you take.

A LEO should not come up from behind. They know better. Or as they do, they anouse them self

pullnshoot25

imported post

Banks are not prohibited and my bro and I have quite a few good stories from our adventures of carrying in banks.

Call me cynical, but I still can't believe that these questions are still coming up.

Army

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Banks are not prohibited and my bro and I have quite a few good stories from our adventures of carrying in banks.

Call me cynical, but I still can't believe that these questions are still coming up.

Hey, cynical.

As long as people still believe that California is the only state with anti-gun laws, these questions will still come up.

wewd

imported post

Ask the security guard with the broken nose and torn meniscus in Georgia what happens when you come up behind an open carrier unannounced and try to disarm him. I would post a link but I'm at work posting from my phone. Suffice it to say that he won't try that one again.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Army wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

Hey, cynical.

As long as people still believe that California is the only state with anti-gun laws, these questions will still come up.

Fair enough :)

Iopencarry

imported post

that is why I didnt say ALL rentacops, I said most.:lol:

I used to be one, then I got out of college, moved away fromhome andneeded real money.

No offence mentto anyone, but there is no way one can be self supporting on a SG payroll.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Iopencarry wrote:
that is why I didnt say ALL rentacops, I said most.:lol:

I used to be one, then I got out of college, moved away fromhome andneeded real money.

No offence mentto anyone, but there is no way one can be self supporting on a SG payroll.
At least they are working, and NOT living off the government.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Iopencarry wrote:
they can stop you, and ask for you to leave. THAT is all. If you refuse to leave, then they can detain you, and do a CA, and call in the LEO's. for traspass only. (if you have broken no other law, ie cc)
Almost right. Except that they don't have any right to "detain" you. Guards are civilians like anybody else. They can make a citizen's arrest, but beyond that all they can do is ask you to talk to them and hope you're dumb (or nice) enough to comply. Of course, if you don't comply, they can demand that you leave the private property they're guarding, and then arrest you for trespassing if you don't leave.

Of course if you're refusing to leave, that means you're not going anywhere, so it makes more sense to just call the cops rather than make an arrest... a lot less paperwork that way.

Paladin4CA

imported post

I go to a (major bank's) branch in the East Bay and ever since the security guard (a woman in her 20s or 30s, about 5'3" and 110 lbs) saw I carry a sub-3" folder IWB, she follows me around about 10' behind me, just like a little puppy dog. When I'm at the teller's window, she'll stand 10' behind me watching me the entire time. Gosh, she's intimidating. :quirky

When I went in last time and there wasn't a security guard on duty, 3 men who worked there got up and did the same thing. LOL! (I previously saw her point me out to some of those guys.) That time I was also IWBing a black 5"x1" Fenix flashlight, so they must have thought I was loaded for bear. I joked w/the teller about the bank not doing too well if business is so slow that three guys can stand behind me doing nothing while I transact my business. She laughed. Too funny. I think they'll have heart attacks if I ever UOC there. :what: They'd call LE and insist on a full SWAT team response.

Perhaps that bank's branch would make a good location post-McDonald to (U/L) OC. . . ;)