• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a bank ?

dirtykoala

imported post

No law against it. Some people do it regularly, some advise against it. Nothing to prohibit it though

brad9point0

imported post

Just be careful going in to a bank with an armed guard. They are almost will certainly not not be aware of the legality of open carry. They may want to challenge/try to make an arrest. So just be prepared.

Not that its right, just my thoughts.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
Just be careful going in to a bank with an armed guard. They are almost will certainly not not be aware of the legality of open carry. They may want to challenge/try to make an arrest. So just be prepared.

Not that its right, just my thoughts.
Not necessarily true. I have been in several banks with armed guards and not one gave me an ill look. One even asked if that was one of those "XD's they have been hearing so much about".

I have withdrawn money, made deposits, even took money out at the ATM. I don't think banks are nearly as uptight about it as one might believe. Now, take it out of the holster and I am sure that you would have a problem.

PincheOgro1

imported post

I went to a Chase bank a litle while ago. Just out of curiosity I asked the "greeter" at the door/ not the Police or FBI agent that they usually have there/ if they had ever heard of OC. They were oblivious to it. The man of the group did take interest though. They had never seen it or heard of it before. I have gone to this bank, to the ATM outside OCing. This is the 1st time I have been there when it was open, and I wasn't OCing. I answered his questions the best I could. Maybe we'll have another participant in the movement, in the near future.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

When I go to make deposits the only time I've ever gotten odd looks or questions from the security there is when I had my kabar on my belt.

Go figure.

demnogis

imported post

Armored car drivers regularly enter banks while OCing.

As do police.

Why would it seem terribly uncommon for a Law Abiding Citizen to walk up and speak to a teller?

Now, should you unholster and make threats and/or demands, thats a big no-no.

I've OCed in Wachovia and Wells Fargo banks without issue.

Just like any other interaction with someone rendering a service - be courteous and keep your hands off your holster (unless an emergency which calls for its use arises).

OPS MARINE

imported post

I OC regularly in banks...I have no problems. Walk in, wait patiently in line, complete the transaction, smile at others. Walk out...with cash. Or without. Just sayin'.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
Wow well you are all much braver than I, I am too scared to even OC in a bank in UT!
Well, as far as I see it, if I am "crazy" enough to open carry in California I might as well be crazy enough to do it in a bank.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Most states allow open carry in banks - in fact Michigan and North carolina require open carry in banks even if you hold a concealed handgun permit.

California appears to allow open carry in banks, including loaded open carry in banks in unincorporated areas where the County has not banned shooting. See People v.Aubertin, 2005 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8987, 12-13 (Cal. App. 3d Dist. Sept. 30, 2005) ("The evidence at trial showed defendant carried a loaded handgun in his duffel bag (1) while inside the Tri-Counties Bank in Bieber; and (2) while walking along Highway 299. . . . On appeal, the People insist "no proof was required of the fact that Bieber is an incorporated city" because the trial court was obligated to take judicial notice of Bieber's incorporated status, and its failure to do so was judicial error we evaluate for prejudice. We disagree. . . . The Attorney General has opined, for example, that not every public road or highway is a prohibited area within the meaning of section 12031 (51 Ops.Atty.Gen. 197, 199-200) and that the "prohibited" nature of a particular unincorporated area may turn on whether there are local ordinances or other laws or regulations prohibiting the discharge of firearms (id. at p. 197). And while former section 415 once made it illegal to fire a gun in an incorporated area - - and thereby brought all of an unincorporated town into the definition of "prohibited area" under section 12031 -- that section has been repealed. . . . We must conclude the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof on all elements of this count, and therefore substantial evidence did not establish that defendant violated section 12031.") (emphasis added).

PincheOgro1

imported post

I OC'd to a bank ATM last night. Made my deposit, and then went next door to the Chevron station, bought myself a cup o java, and talked with the clerk that was there. Nothing happened. Nothing was said. He didn't mention it, even though I know he saw it.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Theseus wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
Wow well you are all much braver than I, I am too scared to even OC in a bank in UT!
Well, as far as I see it, if I am "crazy" enough to open carry in California I might as well be crazy enough to do it in a bank.
The women I talked to at the bank today, would probably urinate all over themselves if they saw a gun.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Theseus wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
The women I talked to at the bank today, would probably urinate all over themselves if they saw a gun.
Maybe, but I have yet to have anyone in my proximity urinate on themselves, that I know of. When I can open carry again I will see if that has changed.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Never carried in a bank here in CA, but only because it's about 150 feet away from a K-6.

Carried into a B of A in Apache Junction, AZ once. The "snow bird" standing in line in front of me was agitated at my liberty. She even mumbled under her breath to the teller and motioned back toward me. The teller smiled and whispered back, and then the snow bird stormed out of the bank.

Keep in mind that was one person out of at least 50 in the bank that busy Friday evening, over a period of at least 45 minutes.

I can't imagine why anybody living in a "free state" would refrain from carrying in a bank so long as it is not prohibited by law...

I still find it ironic that while we're restricted to "unloaded" in most places,some of the "free" states prohibit firearms in strange places, like banks and bars... and CA does NOT...baffles me...

heliopolissolutions

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Never carried in a bank here in CA, but only because it's about 150 feet away from a K-6.

Carried into a B of A in Apache Junction, AZ once. The "snow bird" standing in line in front of me was agitated at my liberty. She even mumbled under her breath to the teller and motioned back toward me. The teller smiled and whispered back, and then the snow bird stormed out of the bank.

Keep in mind that was one person out of at least 50 in the bank that busy Friday evening, over a period of at least 45 minutes.

I can't imagine why anybody living in a "free state" would refrain from carrying in a bank so long as it is not prohibited by law...

I still find it ironic that while we're restricted to "unloaded" in most places,some of the "free" states prohibit firearms in strange places, like banks and bars... and CA does NOT...baffles me...

It doesn't have to make sense. You just have to take it.

Welcome to CA.