• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many do you keep loaded?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I have less than 5 guns but I keep two of them loaded.

My handgun, a .40 S&W, and a shotgun, 12 gauage.

The handgun always stays loaded, the shotgun I unload and lock up when I leave home.

t33j

imported post

Shotgun under the mattress loaded 100% of the time.
HK USPc - carry piece - loaded 100%
Sig in the safe loaded 50% of the time, otherwise unloaded with one full mag right next to it
1911 in the safe loaded 0% of the time, 2 full mags and a round for the chamber right next to it.
.22 rifle in the closet, loaded 0%, empty mag

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Unless I'm working on it, it's loaded. Even the ones in the safe.

That way there is no questioin in my mind about the status of the weapon. Yes, I know the 4 Rules say treat every one as if it was loaded, but that allows the presumption it might not actually be loaded. No need to do an action/chamber check.

stay safe.

skidmark

Pace

imported post

All my guns are loaded in gun safes, some of them single pistol safes with coded locks. The only guns that aren't loaded are my long guns.

buster81

imported post

Well, I've lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident, but before that, there were three loaded guns in the house. One on my hip, one on the first floor and one on the second. The other 9 were unloaded in the safe. I miss those guns :(

jeeper1

imported post

At least 10 of my 2 dozen or so handguns are loaded including the 5 within easy reach of me. Also except for the revolver, there are extra loaded mags for most of the others within reach of me.

Peace through superior fire power or at least volume of outgoing fire. :D

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Well, I've lost all my guns in a tragic boating accident, but before that, there were three loaded guns in the house. One on my hip, one on the first floor and one on the second. The other 9 were unloaded in the safe. I miss those guns :(

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear for your loss. ALL your guns were on a boat at one time? Were you living on this boat?

Poor you, and I mean that with a high degree of sincerity.

buster81

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear for your loss. ALL your guns were on a boat at one time? Were you living on this boat?

Poor you, and I mean that with a high degree of sincerity.
Yup. All my guns...and ammo. We were just taking a leisurely cruise and wham, over they went. I'd dive down and get them, but I think it's about 150 fathoms deep.

Pace

imported post

You had ALL your guns on a boat?

Man, I'm definitely confused, are you smuggling illegal immigrants or something? ;-P

They were all on the deck and fell off? Isn't the a lesson about gun safety!

buster81

imported post

Pace wrote:
You had ALL your guns on a boat?

Man, I'm definitely confused, are you smuggling illegal immigrants or something? ;-P

They were all on the deck and fell off? Isn't the a lesson about gun safety!
No illegal immigrants straight east from Virginia Beach. Me and my guns were just taking a cruise. About 75 miles offshore or so. It gets darn rough out there.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Cummon. Think about the corniest WWII spy versus spy movie you know. Or Syriana, the dramatization of Bob Baer's career. They won't care or stop pulling off body parts just because you tell them that you lost your guns.

It is better to be killed once while standing on your feet than many times while lying like a coward.

Pace

imported post

You and your guns were taking a cruise? Man, some people love guns, some people LOOOVE their guns. How romantic...

What's the legality of that, 75 miles out of the state juristiction?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When it comes to maritime operation, guns on boats are a free for all but up to whatever restriction of the flag your vessel flies under and in what territorial waters you are in. So in open seas or Federal waters, you're subject to Federal law. In waters governed by a state or local municipality, watch out. Sailing in to New York City with a cache of weapons will land you in prison for sure.

buster81

imported post

Pace wrote:
You and your guns were taking a cruise? Man, some people love guns, some people LOOOVE their guns. How romantic...

What's the legality of that, 75 miles out of the state juristiction?
I did love them. I'm not sure about the state jurisdiction thing. They have accompanied my on road trips out of state before. I assume that's ok.

Broondog

imported post

i was deep sea diving once, coincidentally off the coast of Virginia, and i found a bunch of guns! :lol: they were in real good shape so i don't think they were down there very long.

now that they have a good home, some of them can lay around loaded.

4 in the computer/gun room - 9mm, .38spl, Mdl 94 in .32 Win Spl and a .22 Mosquito
1 in the kitchen/living room/great room - .357
5 in the bedroom - 9mm Mak, 2 12 gauges, an AK and an .06
1 in the truck - .40 S&W
and at least one handgun in each of my three safes at all times just on the off chance that Mr. Badguy gets past all that hardware and talks me into opening any safe. ;) but that's not to say that nothing else in the safes are not loaded, just not everything.

Brad Cowin

imported post

XD .45 is loaded
Kimber 1911 is loaded
Kel-Tec PF-9 is loaded
Mossberg 500 is loaded
AK has a loaded mag leaning on it
Saiga 12 has a loaded mag leaning on it

CZ VZ-52, Browning Buckmark .22, Mosin Nagant, Ruger 10/22 are all stored unloaded.