• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under Age OC

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I believe it would be legal, but my concern is this:

The reason, the real reason we carry, is self defense.

I have met you and your kid, and I know he would be safe and follow all the rules and things, but what if, and this is unlikely, but what if it comes down to a situation where he is feeling threatened.

Would you trust his judgement? Would his judgement fall, legally, on you, the parent? What ramifications could it have if so? How would it affect him mentally?

If he is going to carry, you have to bear in mind that he could end up in a situation like this. If you don't want him to have to make this decision [since you have to be supervising him anyway], I would recommend that he doesn't.

Don't carry unless you are ready, prepared, and understand the consequences of, using it if you have to.

Even if you are 12.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

Very good responses, this is what I was looking for. As a parent I would not want to force him into anything he did not want to do. We would if at all try this at an OC event.

As far as trauma, stress well I know first hand what can happen, as I have been thru a real life trauma at age 9. All in all though I still don't fall for all that Psycho babble bull crap, when it comes to all these Attention disorders, depression syndromes etc. I think they have been around long before the fancy titles, and Acronyms came along, the only differences is that then we dealt with them for the most part with out drugs, and we considered most of them to be behavior traits that usually are age related, and some because of trauma.

The worse case scenario is something we go over a lot, he knows the 4th & 5th, and as I said this is something Justice has been thinking about. This was his first year Small game hunting, and he did well when it came to shooting, & gun Discipline.

If we did this we would let every one know when we were going to be carrying.

Keep the ideas & suggestions coming.

Michigan_Man

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I believe it would be legal, but my concern is this:

The reason, the real reason we carry, is self defense.
Well the issue of course is not just the second amendment, it is also the first. Open Carry while very much is about self defense is also about raising awareness.

As a matter of taste I'm not much in favor of kids carrying anything apart from toys in terms of guns, but I'm a believer in liability rather than regulation. I don't know if it is illegal, but in terms of safety it might be better if the adults are the only ones armed.

Michigan_Man

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

CrossPistols wrote:
Very good responses, this is what I was looking for. As a parent I would not want to force him into anything he did not want to do. We would if at all try this at an OC event.

As far as trauma, stress well I know first hand what can happen, as I have been thru a real life trauma at age 9. All in all though I still don't fall for all that Psycho babble bull crap, when it comes to all these Attention disorders, depression syndromes etc. I think they have been around long before the fancy titles, and Acronyms came along, the only differences is that then we dealt with them for the most part with out drugs, and we considered most of them to be behavior traits that usually are age related, and some because of trauma.

The worse case scenario is something we go over a lot, he knows the 4th & 5th, and as I said this is something Justice has been thinking about. This was his first year Small game hunting, and he did well when it came to shooting, & gun Discipline.

If we did this we would let every one know when we were going to be carrying.

Keep the ideas & suggestions coming.
...well, I was just saying... food for thought.

Go for it though, if we educate the next generation now we won't have to fight them in court when they become cops later

PT111

imported post

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), an individual less than 18 years of age shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older
One thing to watch out for. Father-Son eating lunch together while OC. Perfectly legal until son says I have to go to the Big Boys room.:shock: Uh-oh you gonna go with him?:what: Just remember that direct supervision clause and don't leave him alone. :lol:

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

PT111 wrote:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), an individual less than 18 years of age shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older
One thing to watch out for. Father-Son eating lunch together while OC. Perfectly legal until son says I have to go to the Big Boys room.:shock: Uh-oh you gonna go with him?:what: Just remember that direct supervision clause and don't leave him alone. :lol:
Yeah I am former Military, Believe me I know attention to detail

SpringerXDacp

imported post

PT111 wrote:

Under Michigan law part of 750.234f you provided does not apply for under 18 while carrying a pistol. (See 28.422) In Michigan you must be at least 18 years of age or older to carry, possess, etc, a pistol in public unless....

(11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing that pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(e) The owner of the pistol is physically present.

(3)(b):

(b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(us3psw454emcit55apowxpmv))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-422

Haman J.T.

imported post

What about the many child abuse laws on the books.There could possibly be something in those laws that would screw things up.Thats one big grey area until you know those laws.IMO.

jeremiahJohnson

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
What about the many child abuse laws on the books.There could possibly be something in those laws that would screw things up.Thats one big grey area until you know those laws.IMO.
Contrary to popular believe, what the Gov. say they can do and what they can physically do are two different things. Child abuse? Hardly, My son Knows Constitutionally he is a fee citizen, & has the right to make choices, & his own decisions.
All else fails he wouldn't talk if the police showed up, and IF the Child Incarceration Agency showed up, and IF they were able to get him out of MY house He wouldn't talk to them either.

Don't get me wrong he is a kid, he likes to climb trees, ride bikes & he knows cars, but he can hold a conversation with any one of us. I don't worry too much about his abilities, I worry more of how much of an outsider the mass's will concider him to be when he gets to my age. Kids today just aren't taught freedom, and Responsibility like they used to be.