• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

advice on certain models for the wife

45acpForMe

imported post

Very nice looking gun. Has she shot that model before? I would be curious as to your/her thoughts on it. It seems to be about the same size as my Taurus PT145.

scorpio_vette

imported post

No. unfortunately we didn't get to shoot that one. none of the ranges had that model to try (at least the ones i asked), and as i said, only 1 store had it in stock.

BUT.......she did fire about 10different guns at the range couple days ago, and she decided she was very comfortable with 9mm guns, and while she was also comfortable with 40cal, it made her hand tire to much. as far as the controls/features, she did get to try those through some of the various guns she tried at the range. so between test firing 9mm and trying the controls, that helped understand and narrow it down as to whether or not she like the features. and then we went back to cabelas and she tried holding some of the various guns from her list again and between size and what she experienced at the range she went with that one.

that was honestly her gun of choice from the start, but at the beginning all she had to go by was "that it looked cool". LOL

so can she comfortable handle 9mm----check
does she like and can handle the controls----check
is it large enough for open carry----check
is it small enough for conceal carry----check (when/where permitted)
does it "look cool"----check
was it "affordable"----check
ambidextrous controls----check
holster options----check
size customizable grip----check
size customizable mag release----check

LOL so overall it seems to fit the bill.

she did complain that where the grip/magazine ended was just between sizes for a comfortable grip. it's to big for her pinky to wrap underneath, but to small for her pinky to fit comfortable on the grip. we did however already find a solution to that.
here is a video with a little review and field stripping. and at 6:13 into the video it shows how there is a build in "extender" in the magazine that can be flipped down for "extra grip". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UobhFvrDc

architect

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
do you have any idea how stupid and annoying this 48hour hold law is??? so we're on our way home last night after buying the gun, and my wife is just sitting there all slumped in her seat and looking all bummed out. so i ask her what's wrong, and she says: "I just bought all this stuff, and I don't have anything to play with here in the car (accessories not the firearm), and when we get home i won't even be able to check out my new gun".
The waiting period is to give you the time and motivation to compose a gentle note to your elected state representatives explaining how happy you are that you have to wait a couple of days to enjoy your legally-purchased possession. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

posseman75 wrote:
have her look at a 380 kel-tec...........great little gun
Welcome to OCDO Posseman.

Best to read thread first - she already made a selection and a purchase.

Yata hey