• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma News 9 TV quotes OpenCarry.org's John Pierce

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

News video at http://www.newson6.com/Global/category.asp?C=121535&clipId=4546774&autostart=true

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=11988652

State Lawmaker Pushes for Open Carry Law for Gun OwnersPosted:

wnRenderDate('Monday, February 15, 2010 5:45 PM EST', '', true);

Feb 15, 2010 5:45 PM EST [/i]Updated:

wnRenderDate('Monday, February 15, 2010 11:33 PM EST', '', true);

Feb 15, 2010 11:33 PM EST [/i]

Enlarge this picture
Owasso Representative David Derby said protection is exactly why citizens should arm themselves, but he wants to take it a step further with the right to carry a gun in public view.

Enlarge this picture
According to OpenCarry.org, Oklahoma is one of 7 states where open carry laws are completely restricted or banned.
if (PLATFORM.EventMan) PLATFORM.EventMan.triggerEvent('WNStoryRelatedBoxdone');

By Rusty Surette, NEWS 9

OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma lawmaker is pushing for an open carry law for gun owners.

Representative David Derby (R- Owasso) has attached an amendment to House Bill 3239 which would allow citizens with concealed-carry licenses the right to carry a gun in public view.

Just last year, a man armed with a concealed weapon successfully and peacefully disarmed a violent man at this Oklahoma City apartment complex.

Owasso Representative David Derby said protection is exactly why citizens should arm themselves, but he wants to take it a step further.

"Gun laws are important in our country," Derby said. "At the same time, the truly dangerous criminals are breaking laws already and ignore gun controls. They realize that good people will be unarmed and not threaten their nefarious pursuits. With my amendment, it would allow Oklahomans the freedom to carry a firearm if they already hold a concealed-carry license. This would make criminals think twice before trying to rob a bank or knock off a convenience store."

The "Firearms Freedom Act" has been referred to the Public Safety committee for further consideration.

Read House Bill 3239 and the Firearms Freedom Act.

The Virginia-based group, OpenCarry.org, supports Representative David Derby's push for an open-carry law.

"It's a right. We have a right to open carry," said the group's co-founder John Pierce. "Open carry is the Second Amendment, and it's the most important thing to remember."

According to OpenCarry.org, Oklahoma is one of 7 states where open carry laws are completely restricted or banned.

Most gun owners NEWS 9 spoke to favor having an option of concealing versus open-carry, but even if the law is changed, some say they won't.

"I like the fact that nobody really knows if I'm carrying or not. There's an advantage to that in my mind, but this is really a decision up to the individual to try and do," said Miles Hall, H&H Gun Range.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

When those opposed to open carry are asked why, they are never able to articulate facts - only feelings and imaginative flights of fancy.

Would very much like to see Oklahoma join the ranks of OC friendly states. It is after all, the Right thing to do.

Yata hey