Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: Certified pistol training

  1. #1
    Regular Member proneblocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa County, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322

    Post imported post

    I agree. I believe people should be trained how to use their firearm, but I also firmly believe it should not be required to carry. I am not familiar with the SW side of WI, but in the SE, Bob Llanas teaches at Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. He is a good teacher, will teach you how to correct what you are doing, and is very patient at doing it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!...

    -Landose-
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  4. #4
    Regular Member proneblocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa County, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Landose_theghost wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!...

    -Landose-
    Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    512

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    Landose_theghost wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!...

    -Landose-
    Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
    Then to hell with what LE thinks, it is not up to them to decide who carries and who doesn't carry regardless of advanced training. Carry on is what I say!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    Landose_theghost wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!...

    -Landose-
    Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
    Most of us here know more about weapons , safe handling, retention, stance, etc. than Most certified NRA instructors, not saying anything to put them down, I know a bunch of very smart NRA instructors. BUT Beginners take these NRA classes, I am talking the Ladies, people than know nothing about guns. Cops could care less about you being NRA certified.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  7. #7
    Regular Member comp45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Watertown, WI, ,
    Posts
    383

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    Very wise move in spite of what may say on this forum. There is much to learn about carrying lethal force in public. Not only safe gun handling but how to keep yourself out of prison. AACFI has several instructors in the area. There training now includes Wisconsin specific training that is very comprehensive and will also qualify you for the MN and FL permits. You can find an instructor here http://www.aacfi.com/
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    132

    Post imported post

    See this thread/post: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...656937#p656937

    comp wants your money but won't stand with his fellow OCDO members, go figure....

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    22

    Post imported post

    Prone,

    I think you are out of luck in SW Wisconsin. I wasn't able to find any NRA instruction in this area. Sometimes there are some classes at the Deerfield range... that would be the nearest at this point. It sure would be nice to have more "organized" shooting options around here other than trap or sporting clays. I was signed up to take a NRA basic pistol instructor class this month, but it was cancelled because only two people signed up. :X

    Carry On...

  11. #11
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    Landose_theghost wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

    Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
    You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!...

    -Landose-
    Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
    And do you propose that we wear a sign proclaiming our accomplishments, much akin to the slow-moving vehicles sign that farmers put on their tractors?

    As stated elsewhere, LEO don't care; to him we're just trying to "muscle in" on their turf.
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    I'm sure that these guys will be glad to take your money and they're certified instructors.

    http://www.wisconsinwheelmen.com/

    Or you could go to their 'certification' club and give them some money.

    "A fool and his money are soon parted."

  13. #13
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    If you want to improve your shooting skills, get instruction.

    If you need to take a particular course for a CCW permit that you want, take the course.

    But don't expect the police to have any particular respect or to look more fondly on you because you have some sort of certificate. They may-- or may not-- care about whatever certifications you hold. They may not be impressed if you have skills or formal training that are equal or superior to their own. Most likely they will simply view you as somebody with a gun who isn't LEO.

    So get what you want for a reason other than whatever impression you think it will make on the police.

    Lammie, as far as gun handling goes, the Hunter's Safety course only provides instruction on how NOT to accidentally shoot yourself or another person. Of course, that's an important safety tip, but beyond that it doesn't have relevance to carrying and using a gun for defensive purposes. There's a a whole lot more involved in prevailing during a violent attack than simply not shooting yourself or an innocent person. Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions, finding cover (I've had squirrels drop acorns around me but they've never shot back with a gun), quickly clearing a malfunction, shooting and reloading on the move, protecting your firearm from a disarm, drawing and shooting while being punched. Hunting safety class does not include information on setting up a safe room in your house, how to exit a vehicle and return fire, shoot weak-handed, perform a one-handed reload, how to use a flashlight properly while shooting, engage multiple hostile targets, clear a room or countless other things that distinguish a combat shooter from a hunter or target shooter. As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street.


    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  14. #14
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    If you want to improve your shooting skills, get instruction.

    If you need to take a particular course for a CCW permit that you want, take the course.

    But don't expect the police to have any particular respect or to look more fondly on you because you have some sort of certificate. They may-- or may not-- care about whatever certifications you hold. They may not be impressed if you have skills or formal training that are equal or superior to their own. Most likely they will simply view you as somebody with a gun who isn't LEO.

    So get what you want for a reason other than whatever impression you think it will make on the police.

    Lammie, as far as gun handling goes, the Hunter's Safety course only provides instruction on how NOT to accidentally shoot yourself or another person. Of course, that's an important safety tip, but beyond that it doesn't have relevance to carrying and using a gun for defensive purposes. There's a a whole lot more involved in prevailing during a violent attack than simply not shooting yourself or an innocent person. Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions, finding cover (I've had squirrels drop acorns around me but they've never shot back with a gun), quickly clearing a malfunction, shooting and reloading on the move, protecting your firearm from a disarm, drawing and shooting while being punched. Hunting safety class does not include information on setting up a safe room in your house, how to exit a vehicle and return fire, shoot weak-handed, perform a one-handed reload, how to use a flashlight properly while shooting, engage multiple hostile targets, clear a room or countless other things that distinguish a combat shooter from a hunter or target shooter. As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street.

    "Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

    I don't know Shotgun, there was that year that a bear decided to use my ground-blind as its rally-point. You can be damn sure that I kept that huge boulder inbetween his trail & my person.

    "As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street".

    Well...itis kinda rural 'round here; and them thar critters are mighty tastee .

    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    Lammie wrote:
    Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.

  16. #16
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Lurchiron wrote:
    Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

    I don't know Shotgun, there was that year that a bear decided to use my ground-blind as its rally-point. You can be damn sure that I kept that huge boulder inbetween his trail & my person.

    "As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street".

    Well...itis kinda rural 'round here; and them thar critters are mighty tastee .
    :P ha! See with the bear you transitioned from hunting to a defensive shooting situation.

    Yes, in a rural area you might stumble across dinner... but in town we stumble across dinner at Culvers, A&W, Micky D's, etc. Drawing your gun doesn't become part of the transaction.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  17. #17
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    Lurchiron wrote:
    Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

    I don't know Shotgun, there was that year that a bear decided to use my ground-blind as its rally-point. You can be damn sure that I kept that huge boulder inbetween his trail & my person.

    "As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street".

    Well...itis kinda rural 'round here; and them thar critters are mighty tastee .
    :P ha! See with the bear you transitioned from hunting to a defensive shooting situation.

    Yes, in a rural area you might stumble across dinner... but in town we stumble across dinner at Culvers, A&W, Micky D's, etc. Drawing your gun doesn't become part of the transaction.
    I'm just glad that my drawers didn't transition from clean...to dirty. :what:
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.
    "I believe in Jesus Christ,
    and I believe in poltergeists.
    When I feel the urge to swear
    then I drown my blaspheme in prayer."

    Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).


  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Lurchiron wrote:
    I'm just glad that my drawers didn't transition from clean...to dirty. :what:
    Just turn 'em 'cammy' side out.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    EWwww...
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  21. #21
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668

    Post imported post

    Lammie wrote:
    Lammie wrote:
    Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.
    I think the only minimum requirement to OC is that you can legally possess a firearm.

    My point is to question why anyone would be personally satisfied with the bare minimum when going out into the world armed?

    In my opinion the only standards to be set are the ones that you set for yourself personally, and the higher and more rigorous those standards, the better.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    908

    Post imported post

    Two most important things to know about safe handling of firearms. They apply to both hunting and self-defense.

    1. Once a bullet leaves the barrel of a firearm no power on earth can bring it back. Think before you pull the trigger.

    2. Life is not a video game. Dead is dead. There is no reset button.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,382

    Post imported post

    Shotgun wrote:
    I think the only minimum requirement to OC is that you can legally possess a firearm.

    My point is to question why anyone would be personally satisfied with the bare minimum when going out into the world armed?

    In my opinion the only standards to be set are the ones that you set for yourself personally, and the higher and more rigorous those standards, the better.
    To the general point, the need for excellence, I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately excellence in life can only be applied to certain aspects determined by the individual and his interests. Folks here need to attend to the fundamentals before engaging in CQB.

    Welcome to the banana republic of Obamination.

  24. #24
    Regular Member proneblocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa County, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    52

    Post imported post

    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.
    "I believe in Jesus Christ,
    and I believe in poltergeists.
    When I feel the urge to swear
    then I drown my blaspheme in prayer."

    Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).
    When I used the word, "believe" I basically meant that it's my opinion. Now whether or not my opinion is right or wrong doesn't matter. Without peoples opinions, forums such as this one which cover alot of pertinent facts as well as opinionated discussion would be pointless.

    Jeez, ask a simple question and get hit with semantics.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011

    Post imported post

    proneblocked wrote:
    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    proneblocked wrote:
    I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.
    "I believe in Jesus Christ,
    and I believe in poltergeists.
    When I feel the urge to swear
    then I drown my blaspheme in prayer."

    Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).
    When I used the word, "believe" I basically meant that it's my opinion. Now whether or not my opinion is right or wrong doesn't matter. Without peoples opinions, forums such as this one which cover alot of pertinent facts as well as opinionated discussion would be pointless.

    Jeez, ask a simple question and get hit with semantics.
    Ahh...but without semantics; all would be gibberish. :what:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberish
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •