• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Certified pistol training

proneblocked

imported post

I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..

protias

imported post

I agree. I believe people should be trained how to use their firearm, but I also firmly believe it should not be required to carry. I am not familiar with the SW side of WI, but in the SE, Bob Llanas teaches at Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. He is a good teacher, will teach you how to correct what you are doing, and is very patient at doing it.

Landose_theghost

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..

You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!:lol:...

-Landose-

proneblocked

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:

You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!:lol:...

-Landose-
Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.

Landose_theghost

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:

-Landose-
Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
Then to hell with what LE thinks, it is not up to them to decide who carries and who doesn't carry regardless of advanced training. Carry on is what I say!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:

-Landose-
Most of us here know more about weapons , safe handling, retention, stance, etc. than Most certified NRA instructors, not saying anything to put them down, I know a bunch of very smart NRA instructors. BUT Beginners take these NRA classes, I am talking the Ladies, people than know nothing about guns. Cops could care less about you being NRA certified.

comp45acp

imported post

proneblocked wrote:

Very wise move in spite of what may say on this forum. There is much to learn about carrying lethal force in public. Not only safe gun handling but how to keep yourself out of prison. AACFI has several instructors in the area. There training now includes Wisconsin specific training that is very comprehensive and will also qualify you for the MN and FL permits. You can find an instructor here http://www.aacfi.com/

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.

mja1000

imported post

Prone,

I think you are out of luck in SW Wisconsin. I wasn't able to find any NRA instruction in this area. Sometimes there are some classes at the Deerfield range... that would be the nearest at this point. It sure would be nice to have more "organized" shooting options around here other than trap or sporting clays. I was signed up to take a NRA basic pistol instructor class this month, but it was cancelled because only two people signed up. :X

Carry On...

Lurchiron

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:

-Landose-

And do you propose that we wear a sign proclaiming our accomplishments, much akin to the slow-moving vehicles sign that farmers put on their tractors?

As stated elsewhere, LEO don't care; to him we're just trying to "muscle in" on their turf.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

If you want to improve your shooting skills, get instruction.

If you need to take a particular course for a CCW permit that you want, take the course.

But don't expect the police to have any particular respect or to look more fondly on you because you have some sort of certificate. They may-- or may not-- care about whatever certifications you hold. They may not be impressed if you have skills or formal training that are equal or superior to their own. Most likely they will simply view you as somebody with a gun who isn't LEO.

So get what you want for a reason other than whatever impression you think it will make on the police.

Lammie, as far as gun handling goes, the Hunter's Safety course only provides instruction on how NOT to accidentally shoot yourself or another person. Of course, that's an important safety tip, but beyond that it doesn't have relevance to carrying and using a gun for defensive purposes. There's a a whole lot more involved in prevailing during a violent attack than simply not shooting yourself or an innocent person. Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions, finding cover (I've had squirrels drop acorns around me but they've never shot back with a gun), quickly clearing a malfunction, shooting and reloading on the move, protecting your firearm from a disarm, drawing and shooting while being punched. Hunting safety class does not include information on setting up a safe room in your house, how to exit a vehicle and return fire, shoot weak-handed, perform a one-handed reload, how to use a flashlight properly while shooting, engage multiple hostile targets, clear a room or countless other things that distinguish a combat shooter from a hunter or target shooter. As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street.

Lurchiron

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
If you want to improve your shooting skills, get instruction.

If you need to take a particular course for a CCW permit that you want, take the course.

But don't expect the police to have any particular respect or to look more fondly on you because you have some sort of certificate. They may-- or may not-- care about whatever certifications you hold. They may not be impressed if you have skills or formal training that are equal or superior to their own. Most likely they will simply view you as somebody with a gun who isn't LEO.

So get what you want for a reason other than whatever impression you think it will make on the police.

Lammie, as far as gun handling goes, the Hunter's Safety course only provides instruction on how NOT to accidentally shoot yourself or another person. Of course, that's an important safety tip, but beyond that it doesn't have relevance to carrying and using a gun for defensive purposes. There's a a whole lot more involved in prevailing during a violent attack than simply not shooting yourself or an innocent person. Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions, finding cover (I've had squirrels drop acorns around me but they've never shot back with a gun), quickly clearing a malfunction, shooting and reloading on the move, protecting your firearm from a disarm, drawing and shooting while being punched. Hunting safety class does not include information on setting up a safe room in your house, how to exit a vehicle and return fire, shoot weak-handed, perform a one-handed reload, how to use a flashlight properly while shooting, engage multiple hostile targets, clear a room or countless other things that distinguish a combat shooter from a hunter or target shooter. As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street.

"Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

I don't know Shotgun, there was that year that a bear decided to use my ground-blind as its rally-point. You can be damn sure that I kept that huge boulder inbetween his trail & my person.

"As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street".

Well...itis kinda rural 'round here; and them thar critters are mighty tastee :dude:.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lammie wrote:
Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

I don't know Shotgun, there was that year that a bear decided to use my ground-blind as its rally-point. You can be damn sure that I kept that huge boulder inbetween his trail & my person.

"As far as I know, nobody here is carrying their weapon around town for the off-chance that they'll be invited to some impromptu target shooting or because they expect dinner to poke it's head up down the street".

Well...itis kinda rural 'round here; and them thar critters are mighty tastee :dude:.
:p ha! See with the bear you transitioned from hunting to a defensive shooting situation.

Yes, in a rural area you might stumble across dinner... but in town we stumble across dinner at Culvers, A&W, Micky D's, etc. Drawing your gun doesn't become part of the transaction.

Lurchiron

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Lurchiron wrote:
Hunting does not normally, if ever, include shooting from barricaded positions",

:p ha! See with the bear you transitioned from hunting to a defensive shooting situation.

Yes, in a rural area you might stumble across dinner... but in town we stumble across dinner at Culvers, A&W, Micky D's, etc. Drawing your gun doesn't become part of the transaction.
I'm just glad that my drawers didn't transition from clean...to dirty. :what:

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.
"I believe in Jesus Christ,
and I believe in poltergeists.
When I feel the urge to swear
then I drown my blaspheme in prayer."

Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).