• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Certified pistol training

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Lammie wrote:
Lammie wrote:
Anyone born after January 1, 1973 already has safe firearm training if he or she does any kind of hunting. They can't purchase a hunting license unless they show evidence that they completed the DNR firearms safety course. I know some of you will jump all over my comment with arguments that that training is too fundamental and doesn't cover enough bases. We could discuss for months on this forum as to what are the minimum requirements and never come to a conclusion.
I think the only minimum requirement to OC is that you can legally possess a firearm.

My point is to question why anyone would be personally satisfied with the bare minimum when going out into the world armed?

In my opinion the only standards to be set are the ones that you set for yourself personally, and the higher and more rigorous those standards, the better.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Two most important things to know about safe handling of firearms. They apply to both hunting and self-defense.

1. Once a bullet leaves the barrel of a firearm no power on earth can bring it back. Think before you pull the trigger.

2. Life is not a video game. Dead is dead. There is no reset button.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
I think the only minimum requirement to OC is that you can legally possess a firearm.

My point is to question why anyone would be personally satisfied with the bare minimum when going out into the world armed?

In my opinion the only standards to be set are the ones that you set for yourself personally, and the higher and more rigorous those standards, the better.
To the general point, the need for excellence, I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately excellence in life can only be applied to certain aspects determined by the individual and his interests. Folks here need to attend to the fundamentals before engaging in CQB.

Welcome to the banana republic of Obamination.

proneblocked

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.
"I believe in Jesus Christ,
and I believe in poltergeists.
When I feel the urge to swear
then I drown my blaspheme in prayer."

Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).

When I used the word, "believe" I basically meant that it's my opinion. Now whether or not my opinion is right or wrong doesn't matter. Without peoples opinions, forums such as this one which cover alot of pertinent facts as well as opinionated discussion would be pointless.

Jeez, ask a simple question and get hit with semantics.

Lurchiron

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications.

Put another way, "Normative and prescriptive statements, often characterized by would, should or could, have no truth value, are not falsifiable and so are not 'scientific' (after sir Karl Popper and professor Walter E. Williams).

When I used the word, "believe" I basically meant that it's my opinion. Now whether or not my opinion is right or wrong doesn't matter. Without peoples opinions, forums such as this one which cover alot of pertinent facts as well as opinionated discussion would be pointless.

Ahh...but without semantics; all would be gibberish. :what:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberish

imported post

In re semantics and gibberish.

Karl Popper 'The Logic of Scientific Discovery', line 320
The problem of epistemology may be approached from two sides: (1) as the problem of ordinary or common-sense knowledge, or (2) as the problem of scientific knowledge. Those philosophers who favour the first approach think, rightly, that scientific knowledge can only be an extension of common-sense knowledge, and they also think, wrongly, that common-sense knowledge is the easier of the two to analyse. In this way these philosophers come to replace the 'new way of ideas' by an analysis of ordinary knowledge -- the language in which common-sense knowledge is formulated. They replace the analysis of vision or perception or knowledge or belief by the analysis of the phrases 'I see' or 'I perceive', or 'I know', 'I believe'[emphasis mine], 'I hold that it is probable'; or perhaps by that of the word 'perhaps'.
The next paragraph concludes, "I contend that the most important and most exciting problems of epistemology must remain completely invisible to those who confine themselves to analysing ordinary or common-sense knowledge or its formulation in ordinary language."

Summary from my notes, "Scientific knowledge is a development of common-sense knowledge is a formulation in ordinary language and invisible to those confining themselves to the ordinary and common-sensical."

Lurchiron

imported post

In re semantics and gibberish.

Karl Popper 'The Logic of Scientific Discovery', line 320
The problem of epistemology may be approached from two sides: (1) as the problem of ordinary or common-sense knowledge, or (2) as the problem of scientific knowledge. Those philosophers who favour the first approach think, rightly, that scientific knowledge can only be an extension of common-sense knowledge, and they also think, wrongly, that common-sense knowledge is the easier of the two to analyse. In this way these philosophers come to replace the 'new way of ideas' by an analysis of ordinary knowledge -- the language in which common-sense knowledge is formulated. They replace the analysis of vision or perception or knowledge or belief by the analysis of the phrases 'I see' or 'I perceive', or 'I know', 'I believe'[emphasis mine], 'I hold that it is probable'; or perhaps by that of the word 'perhaps'.
The next paragraph concludes, "I contend that the most important and most exciting problems of epistemology must remain completely invisible to those who confine themselves to analysing ordinary or common-sense knowledge or its formulation in ordinary language."

Summary from my notes, "Scientific knowledge is a development of common-sense knowledge is a formulation in ordinary language and invisible to those confining themselves to the ordinary and common-sensical."
Master, oh master; where do you find your wisdom?

imported post

Not television, no television.

The Logic of Scientific Discovery is my second 'e-book' for my Kindle for PC, after Bob Baer's See No Evil from which the movie Syriana was fictionalized. But I can't see the PC's display through the glare poolside (vacationing at my daughter's in Kihei, Maui) so yesterday I bought and have started Timothy Ferris' The Science of Liberty.

A hardback 'Logic' is ~$100!

Later today we'll drive to Haleakala. The ship named USS Haleakala was in the same squadron as my USS Paricutin AE-18. Ammunition ships are named after volcanoes.

Lurchiron

imported post

Not television, no television.

The Logic of Scientific Discovery is my second 'e-book' for my Kindle for PC, after Bob Baer's See No Evil from which the movie Syriana was fictionalized. But I can't see the PC's display through the glare poolside (vacationing at my daughter's in Kihei, Maui) so yesterday I bought and have started Timothy Ferris' The Science of Liberty.

A hardback 'Logic' is ~$100!

Later today we'll drive to Haleakala. The ship named USS Haleakala was in the same squadron as my USS Paricutin AE-18. Ammunition ships are named after volcanoes.

"Ammunition ships are named after volcanoes."

And well they should be.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
There are 2 facets to the issue which need to be addressed seperately.

The first is a legal requirement. Obvious to the most casual observer of the threads here is the strongbelief that there should be no legal requirements or barriers toindividuals carrying handguns either openly or concealed. Theroots of this belief are deep in the principle that the 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to to so uninhibited.

The other is from a not so common sense perspective that if you are going to carry,itnaturally follows that you firstbe prepared to actually use the firearm in a defensive manor and possess some essential level of skillbefore doing so. Your odds of defending yourself and your loved ones successfully should begreater thanthose of you merely becoming an organ donor after you were unable to deploy the weaponeffectively and your weapon being taken from you and used against yourself and others including possibly your other family members.

Many people considering the carrying of a handgun have not even experienced the "stress" of hunting wild animals which are normally not armed and have little chance of harming you before you shoot them.

GreenCountyPete

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..

You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!:lol:...

-Landose-
Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
I am sure many here had weapons training in themilitary, i don't thinkthat it makes any differance , you don't have a badge there for your training must have been insufficient. never mind your country saw you fit to carry in the most hostile enviroments possable , to make arrestes , to hold detain or question prisoners , no you are not addiquate to carry your own firearm in your own country , in your own state for the defence of youself and loved ones.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For the people that have never fired a gun before & don't know the muzzle from the trigger, then yes, by all means I think they need some training , just basic training & spend a few hours on the range getting to know the gun they just bought. but I am against mandated training.

I have taken a - basic pistol concepts class, the Advanced action pistol concepts class, a Carbine class & the MN Concealed carry permit class....Training is knowledge, knowledge is education...and that's all good. but mandated training , no.

JJC

imported post

protias wrote:
I agree. I believe people should be trained how to use their firearm, but I also firmly believe it should not be required to carry. I am not familiar with the SW side of WI, but in the SE, Bob Llanas teaches at Fletcher Arms in Waukesha. He is a good teacher, will teach you how to correct what you are doing, and is very patient at doing it.
I just happen to be a certified firearm trainer. I'm located in La Crosse Wisconsin.

I have a class starting April 10, 2010

JJC

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

proneblocked wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..

You don't need to pay anyone to get to know your firearm man, my advice would be to first start practicing with your gun (unloadedofcourse) getused tothe trigger pull of your gun, get used to changing your mags, andALWAYS remember to NEVER aim at anything youdon't intend on killing, and then head to your localrange andpractice,practice,practice with your gun. Trust me, I started out a newbie with my Ruger SR-9 and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if my life depended on it, after about 1-2 weeks you'll be surprised how much improvment you'll make, not to mention how much fun and stress relieving it is to unload 100+ rounds on a bunch ofpaper Bad guys!:lol:...

-Landose-
Oh, Ive been to the range numerous times. I guess I'm looking for "official" certification from a certified instructor. Seems to me that if LEO's know you have had some formal training they may be more apt to take it easy on you when OC'ing.
WRONG!
I have went through the LESB reiquired firearms course for LEO. I Have went through the Corrections Firearms training and a few other firearms courses. I qualify every year. I am a former U.S. Army Ranger and during my time in service have had more firearms training then most Police Officers will have in their entire career. I qualify for protection under HR 218, the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act, which is a federal law. And I still get harassed by cops. It doesn't matter how much training you have. It will never be enough for them because you are messing with their power trip. Their ego fed boys club where the rules are made by them, for them and to harass anyone who isn't one of them.

I am not bashing, I am telling the truth and everyone on here knows it.

Don't fall into that trap of thinking everyone needs training. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to aim, breath, relax and squeeze.

hunter9mm

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
proneblocked wrote:

Prone...

Welcome to Douggy's world! :what: