• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Certified pistol training

JJC

imported post

American Association Certified Firearms Instructors.

As such, my training qualifies you for a Minnesota, Florida CCW, just to name a few.

Part of the training also touches on Open Carry for Wisconsin.

Interested?

JJC

JJC

imported post

proneblocked wrote:
I believe that anyone who OC's should have at least some sort of basic pistol safety and handling certifications. I just looked on the NRA website and most classes are on the east/northeast part of the state.

Anyone here know if there are certified instructors in the SW area? Or do I suck it up and make the 100+ mile drive..
AACFI class starting April 10, in the La Crosse Area.

JJC

jwayne972

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
jwayne972 wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
JJC wrote:
I'm a certified Pistol trainer. JJC
Certified by whom?
Does it really matter?
What does certification mean, for what are you paying?
It is only worth the value you place upon it, priceless to some, worthless to others.

LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER, TARGET

Works for me.

jwayne972

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
You forgot, Aim, Breath, Relax and Squeeze.

Now your training is complete. And the Wisconsin Patriots AKA Gene german didn't make a dime.
Do you think Doug would print me a shiny card that I could show everyone?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

I do not see a post in this thread where anyone advocated mandatory training in order to carry.

An armed individual puts themselves in a position where they are no longer a mobile victim. However, if they lack the essential skills to use their weapon, they have a higher probability of becoming a Darwin award nominee or winner and an organ donor than someone who possess the necessary skills to use their firearm against an assailant who is determined to cause them harm.

This is no different than a fire extinguisher. We likely will never have to deploy them in our home but it is better to have and not need than need but not have. Unless you possess the essential skills to use said fire extinguisher, you can actually cause a fire to spread and inflict more damage than if you were to have used other more simple means to deal with the fire. The same can be said for dealing with an armed assailant orthief.

You do not need to have a wallet filled with certifications, but seeking some sort of training whether formal or informal prepares you more fully for a confrontation.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

jwayne972 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
You forgot, Aim, Breath, Relax and Squeeze.

Now your training is complete. And the Wisconsin Patriots AKA Gene german didn't make a dime.
Do you think Doug would print me a shiny card that I could show everyone?
LOL everytime I see your name in a post jwayne I think of the movie Full Metal Jacket.
Is that you John Wayne? It's me! LOL

MadisonRebel

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you're saying "should", I agree. If you're saying it ought to be law, which I'm assuming you're not, then I disagree.

I think one of the best options would be to get sufficient training for a Minnesota, Florida, or other CC license. Not only would this open up potential to CC when you're out of state, but the training is normally from highly skilled, certified trainers who know their stuff.

There are also a number of very good video training programs, if you don't have a lot of time to attend in person training. Clint Smith's Thunder Ranch videos are particularly good in both the training of the proper mindset while handling weapons and dicey situations, and the overall training of handling weapons, including proper draw techniques, proper stance and positioning, movement, and the clearing of malfunctions.

jwayne972

imported post

The essential skills to operate a firearm are the same no matter the situation, and do not require the instruction of a so called expert. A firearm is not a difficult tool to operate.

If you are able to possess a firearm, you should also be capable of making the decision of when to use it.

Playing make believe is fun, no doubt, just don't throw a guilt trip on everyone who doesn't feel the need to buy into your self defense heirarchy.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

jwayne972 wrote:
The essential skills to operate a firearm are the same no matter the situation, and do not require the instruction of a so called expert. A firearm is not a difficult tool to operate.

If you are able to possess a firearm, you should also be capable of making the decision of when to use it.

Playing make believe is fun, no doubt, just don't throw a guilt trip on everyone who doesn't feel the need to buy into your self defense heirarchy.

Utilizing a firearm effectively in a defensive situation is more than just pointing the barrel andjerking the trigger although sometimes people get lucky and that is enough. Isn'ta life worth a little extra time and effort spent on training? :?

This is no different than an open hand defensive class. Just because you can clench your fist and throw a punch does not make you skilled...;)

jwayne972

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
jwayne972 wrote:

Utilizing a firearm effectively in a defensive situation is more than just pointing the barrel andjerking the trigger although sometimes people get lucky and that is enough. Isn'ta life worth a little extra time and effort spent on training? :?

Really? How is it more than pointing the barrel and squeezing the trigger? "Sometimes people get lucky"? Of all the defensive shootings that occur in a year, do you really believe that the majority were accomplished by someone with any more training than the basic mechanical functions of their firearm?

This is no different than an open hand defensive class. Just because you can clench your fist and throw a punch does not make you skilled...;)

So would you advise someone to not even attempt to defend themselves just because they may not possess the equivalent or greater training than their opponent? I will never discourage someone from attempting to protect their own life as they see fit, it's their life.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

jwayne972 wrote:
So would you advise someone to not even attempt to defend themselves just because they may not possess the equivalent or greater training than their opponent? I will never discourage someone from attempting to protect their own life as they see fit, it's their life.

Not at all. Many successful defensive actions take place each year without any shots being fired. Just possessing a firearm saves lives. Having a firearm and being able to point it and squeeze the trigger without filling your drawers can be enough, especially in one's home. Our discussion on this board normally is regarding Openly Carrying in public.

What I am addressing is the conscious decision to not seek any training yet take the position thatyou arefully prepared for a violent armed confrontation. The attitude that you know all you need to know if you can hit a paper target on the range at 25 meters without shooting yourself orsomeone else is naive. A Basic skill levelshould not be considered "good enough". You should strive for more. Most people stick with Basic and get by. I don't want to just get by.

A holstered openly carried firearm should be thought of as more than just a fashion accessory and a more advanced weapon than a baseball bat which requires more skill to use effectively.

Taking a Spray and Pray approach saves lives each year, but it can also cost lives....

Here is a case where point and jerk the trigger just wasn't good enough.... http://images.ibsys.com/2004/1129/3955960.pdf

Not being prepared to shoot from cover can cost you dearly. If you never practice it, how do you expect to do it when it counts?

jwayne972

imported post

So what would you consider an accurate gauge of a person's ability in a defensive firearm situation, and how has your training enhanced it?

How do you determine your standard to aspire to? What if your goal is measured as being only half as ambitious as mine? Would it be acceptable for me to look down on you, and chastise you for exercising your Right at all, because to me your actions would be deemed irresponsible.