• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wives and Girlfriends

jensen_lover

imported post

Sorry about the title.

How do you deal with a spouse that is against carrying?

I open carry sometimes and when I do my girlfriend will stay in the car. She is convinced I do it for my machismo. No matter how many times I explain to her why I carry, she just calls me an idiot. She thinks she will never get mugged because she does not go into dark alleys. According to her bad guys do not ever, under any circumstances, in any way shape or form go into the grocery strore, Wal-Mart, restaurants, the mall, the park, etc. The only place to find a bad guy is in a dark alley.

She has no problem with me bringing my gun in the car, even in her car. I told her the best I can do is not open carry when she is around. I sent in my CHP packet yesterday so in five months or so I can conceal. I told her when I getmy permitshe will not know I am carrying so she can forget about it. No matter what I say she will not listen. Did anyone here deal with this and how did you get past it if you did?

Few more things.

My girlfriend's friends' husband is a gun owner and avid hunter. My GF was asking them what they thought about me open carrying. The husband isiffy about it but said the same thing my CHP instructor said, "It is ok as long as it does not disturb other people." My GF agreed with that and I said the blue shirt example that somone mentioned. She said that is completely different. It seemsthat tothe opposition of open carrying, disturbing the peace is a common thread. How is this lie spread or is it just something that seems to make sense until you probe further?

Can I open carry in Orleans Parish? I was told by my instuctor that is not allowed and is why there are very few gun stores in New Orleans proper.

If I get stopped without my driver's license while open carrying, what repercussions should I expect? I forgot my license the other day (while open carrying) when I went to Winn Dixie. I felt like throwing up.

imported post

Sounds as if your wife needs to join LOCAL !!!!

Your instructor is an idiot, tell him I said so, be sure to spell my name correctly, hand it to him in writing. Don't tell me, let me guess: he's a lifetime NRA member, yes?

Yes, you CAN OC in Orleans parish. Don't take my word for it, read the state constitution, article 1 sec 11. NOTHING trumps it.

Why, why, why do you even think you need a license to OC ? Inquiring minds want to know.:question:

geez...........................

4angrybadgers

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Why, why, why do you even think you need a license to OC ? Inquiring minds want to know.:question:

geez...........................
I read jensen's post as he has a CCL and is under the impression that since he has one, he has to have the license no matter how he is carrying.

jensen, to the best of my knowledge you do not need to have your concealed carry license with you unless you are actually carrying a concealed weapon covered by that license.

jensen_lover

imported post

I know I do not need a liscence to open carry. I did not have my driver's license when I was in Winn Dixi. I changed it in the original post- I can see how that is confusing. I am getting my concealed license to carry concealed so my mom will be at ease. She is convinced someone will mug me without a gun, take mine, and then kill me with it.

Lurchiron

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
I know I do not need a liscence to open carry. I did not have my driver's license when I was in Winn Dixie. I am getting my concealed license to carry concealed so my mom will be at ease. She is convinced someone will mug me without a gun, take mine, and then kill me with it.
I like how people can always see the dark-side of things, but for the life of them; can't figure out how someone could actually protect themselves.

barf

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
If I get stopped without my driver's license while open carrying, what repercussions should I expect? I forgot my license the other day (while open carrying) when I went to Winn Dixie. I felt like throwing up.
If you get stopped without your driver's license while walking your dog, what repercussions should you expect? Apply that logic to the question you asked.

This is not a Gestapo state (yet) where the police can detain you and ask for your papers when you've done nothing wrong.

I purposely OC without any identification. If asked, I will verbally give basic personal information to a police officer (you never know what they're investigating or responding to). If detained and not allowed to go on my way, I will ask for my attorney and not say a damn thing.

PM me if you have other questions. Some here have hidden agendas and use OC as a convenient way to promote them - BEWARE! Remember, some of the most screwed up individuals are known by their first, middle, and last name.

Slidell Jim

imported post

barf wrote:
Remember, some of the most screwed up individuals are known by their first, middle, and last name.
who are you talking about:question:.. .. I only go by 2 names, Slidell and Jim.

barf

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
As my wife's youngest daughter says, "there's no pleasing my mother."

Maybe you and she have the same mom.
So you're saying that your wife gets around? Just sayin. You brought it up.

4angrybadgers

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
I know I do not need a liscence to open carry. I did not have my driver's license when I was in Winn Dixi. I changed it in the original post- I can see how that is confusing.
Barf got it. Louisiana does not have a requirement to carry ID specifically when carrying, so it's the same as if you were just walking around on your daily business, sans firearm.

jensen_lover wrote:
I am getting my concealed license to carry concealed so my mom will be at ease. She is convinced someone will mug me without a gun, take mine, and then kill me with it.
So? Are you living with your parents? If not, then defend yourself as you see fit and let your mother think what she will. If you truly want to OC for whatever reason (safety, political statement, etc.) then just do it. Trust me, there will always be at least one family member or friend that will freak out and not understand. Too bad for them.

As a corollary, my mother-in-law was aghast at the idea that I left a fully loaded shotgun at home with my wife while I'm at work during the day. I explained to her that her daughter knew how to operate the shotgun, and that leaving it unloaded meant that it would be less than useless if someone did break in. She couldn't understand, but that hasn't changed my actions at all. (I can only imagine what her reaction will be when she finds out I regularly open carry when I'm in Louisiana... :D)

georg jetson

imported post

jensen_lover wrote:
I know I do not need a liscence to open carry. I did not have my driver's license when I was in Winn Dixi. I changed it in the original post- I can see how that is confusing. I am getting my concealed license to carry concealed so my mom will be at ease. She is convinced someone will mug me without a gun, take mine, and then kill me with it.
By law, you cannot be forced to produce anything that is not required by law. If you are not "driving" then you cannot be required to produce a DL and there isno law requiring one to get a state ID. You are however, required to identify yourself to a LEO who is conducting an investigation based on reasonable suspicion.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can OC in Orleans Parish - I've done it often.

There are many reasons that there aren't gun stores in New Orleans, but OC has nothing to do with it. Among them: the city has an ordinance which, I think,pre-dates the state preemption law and requires extensive record-keeping and reporting of gun and ammunition sales to the city and parish law enforcement agencies (City Charter, Part II, Chapter 54, Sec. 54-348 and 54-349 http://library3.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=10040&doc_action=whatsnew). New Orleans sales tax has also been the highest in the state, making suburban areas more attractive to purchasers who wanted lower taxes.

Incidentally, the law on motor vehicle sales taxes was changed because of this issue - people were buyingoutside their home parish inparishes with a low tax; now you are charged sales tax based on your residential address when buying a vehicle.

Courrèges

imported post

XD-GEM,

I don't think the documentation requirements are really that onerous compared with the basic FFL requirements (although shooting galleries must get the consent of the City Council and two-thirds of nearby residents just to open). The real reason for the lack of gun shops is more likely NIMBY, security issues, lack of ability to open up a shooting range, etc. That said, I think there are some pawn shops that still sell handguns around the city.

As for the sales tax, it's the same as in Jefferson Parish, which has a few gun shops.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I should have been clearer about the tax isssue. It used to be significantly different enough that many businesses relocated to Jefferson Parish away from New Orleans, gun stores included. Today the taxes are a wash.