• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Weapons sign posted .............. need help

Scrub

imported post

I started in to the Piggly Wiggly in Pinetops {Yes, we still have them here} and stopped abruptly when I was confronted with a new NO WEAPONS sign. It also contained some fine print about LEO's. I returned to my vehicle and secured my revolver, and proceeded in to talk with the manager.

I asked him about the new sign, and he told me it was something sent out from the central office. He asked if I had a concealed carry permit, and I told him not yet. His point being that he thought I could carry in the store with a permit, but that is not what it said. I asked if he thought it would actually stop criminals from carrying in the store, and he said no. Then I asked if he thought criminals would open carry in a holster, and again no. I then explained that he would likely be losing a fairly regular customer after tonight {I had no other options to make my purchases and be on time where I was going.} if they were going to stand by the policy, as I prefer to shop where my ability to carry for the protection of myself and others is not restricted. I also told him that the policy of most of the stores I frequent is to follow the laws of the state, that way any issues they might have could be addressed by law enforcement as something more than just a trespass charge.

He then told me one of the managers from central office was in the store and he would speak to him about it while I made my purchase. He met me at the register as I was checking out, and told me they were going to look into it and likely at least reword the sign if they did not get rid of it, since they do not want lose regular customers. He also mentioned that they both had a chuckle about the analogy I gave him about a no robberies sign.

The point of this diatribe, is can anyone point me to a template for a good letter to follow up with to their central office. I think I may have made some headway, but I do not want to let this thing die, because I frequently shop at this store and another PW in Elm City, and I do not want them to continue this policy. I also need to be sure I do not give any bad reflection on the store manager, because he was very professional, and was genuinely concerned about keeping my business.

Can anyone help me with this??

Edited for Spelling.

Dreamer

imported post

Piggly Wiggly is headquartered in Keene, N.H. In NH, if you are a resident, you don't need a permt for ANY sort of carry--CC or OC. They have some of the best carry laws in the nation up there, and actually believe in the Constitution and liberty.

You might contact Corporate, and see if this is coming from the top or is a local or regional thing. I'd find it hard to believe that it's coming from Corporate, since NH is one fo the last bastions of Constitution-believing Liberty-minded people in the Republic...

http://www.pigglywiggly.com/contact

http://www.pigglywiggly.com/stores/NC

If this is coming from Corporate, I think we need to contact the "Ridley Report" folks up in NH. The would be all over this, and I'm sure they would quickly stage some sort of action to bring Piggly Wiggly's action into the public eye.

Big companies usually sneak this sort of thing in, and hope people will just "go along". Since people tend to not want to draw attention to themselves in our current dumbed-down, passive, sheeple-trained society, anti-gun "sneak attacks" like this usually are successful unless we mobilize QUICKLY, with large numbers, and MAKE IT PUBLIC.

The recent Starbucks situation was a great example of this. The Bradys were trying to sneak a ban in on us, but the OC and CC community mobilized quickly and put the anti-liberty Bradys in their place...

wylde007

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
put the anti-liberty Bradys in their place...
Now, now. They're not anti "liberty"... they just don't believe that anyone should feel the need to defend themselves. Or have the ability. Or live to tell about it.:banghead:

Dreamer

imported post

I visited the Piggly Wiggly in Washington NC today, and they did NOT have a "no guns" sign posted. If this were a "corporate" thing, you' think that all the stores would have them displayed...

Just sayin'...

XD40BiTone

imported post

I'm all for open carry rights and conceal carry as long as you fully abide by the law. But not shopping at a store to get groceries because you cant carry seems just outright silly. How often does a place get robbed for you to NEED to carry in a grocery store? Is it that hard to repect other companys wishes, and rights for that matter? Dont mean to sound disrespectfull but being in a huff because of a no carry sign in your local store sounds absolutely selfish, and to threaten to not shop there because you cant have your tool for 20 to 30 minutes while you purchase household needs is completely snobby and assinign. Followed by other descriptive words.

"Well if I cant carry a deadly weapon in here then I guess they miss out on my money, and I'm going to complain abou it"

Just doesnt sound right.

God bless, keep on keepin on. It's not that big 'o deal in my oppinion. They dont like it? Ok, turn around and secure it in my vehicle then.

XD40BiTone

imported post

Again! I enjoy my rights and beleive in them wholeheartedly. But is it absolutely necessary EVERYWHERE? No, I dont think so.

Please dont take my response personally, came out a little harsher than I had in my head.

muccione

imported post

And Never at Church on Sunday...http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506820,00.html Wait they get shot up too .... How about a good school like Va Tech....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre sorry not a good choice either...
But agree with XD about the NOT carrying in a grocery store...They never get hit
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/26/nyregion/4-wounded-in-shooting-in-grocery-store.html?pagewanted=1
http://chicagoist.com/2008/10/13/teen_charged_in_grocery_store_shoot.php
http://www.topix.com/county/casey-ky/2009/12/suspect-dead-two-hurt-in-grocery-store-shooting
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017455151
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22271155/detail.html
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11916615
I could go on and on
See XD.. it is our RIGHT to carry and protect ourselves...If a store decides they should infringe upon our rights... that we should use our right the shop at a place we feel fit... If a company doesn't want its customers to be armed...than it should provide clear and visible ARMED Police... And then still not go there..
Police get attacked also
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2440492/lakewood_police_shooting_kills_4_police.html
What if a customer was armed....Some may have survived
You are the only one RESPONSIBLE for your own safety.... Cops favorite saying is "We cant be everywhere"
So with that I say carry everywhere cuz you can't carry a cop.

REX681959

imported post

Ok let's just say if you want to dobusiness with me

1. you can't carry a weapon

2. you have to dress the way I say

3. you have to act the way I say

4. you can't say what you want

5. I can throw you out if I don't like the color of your skin

6. ect ect

So where does it end ???????

Where do you say enough ?????

bwhunter65

imported post

People are just afraid of the gun, you put a gun on a table it just sits there it wont move it wont shoot. when are they going to figure it out that the ones they have to worry about are the ones coming in fast and hard. I make it a point to talk to people when I carry say hi answer back if they ask me something and just be polite let them know they don't have to worry about me. I bet most don't know that you can legally carry.

XD40BiTone

imported post

You cant compare all that to respecting a companys decision to posting a no guns sign though. I will certainly educate someone in a store like the manager or owner on the laws and suggest that it's not so bad to OC. But to come on strong and say that they'll lose a customer because they dont beleive in your beleifs is not only rude but can be taken as threatening. Who's going to argue with a man carrying a gun about losing them as a customer if they dont take the sign down? Of course he's going to accomidate your every wish and agree with you. It's not fair, and it seems pushy and demanding.

Politeness and understanding on BOTH parties is key. Where it where you want! But you cant force your beleifs on other people. You have to remember they have just as much of a right to denyOC as you do to practice OC.

XD40BiTone

imported post

I cant argue that. Just pointing out the fact that these store managers and owners have rights too.. Not defending a no gun sign. Just looking at it from another perspective.

Like I said, I carry sometimes. I don't believe that every time I need milk from the corner storeI would have to defend my honor. Chances still are pretty slim to be having to engage in a live fire situation. I'm 31 and haven't seen any trouble anywhere yet.

I didn't realize how strongly andadamantly dedicated allot of people are for OC/CC that it's a part of everyday life. You're all right about so many possibilities. I should just keep my mouth shut around so many hardcore activists.

I dont mean to disrespect any of your beleifs or rights, please forgive my questioning or line of reasoning if you're offended. I'm just a realist and try to understand all points from every angle. In my experience it helps to avoid alot of confrontations.

muccione

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
I cant argue that. Just pointing out the fact that these store managers and owners have rights too.. Not defending a no gun sign. Just looking at it from another perspective.

Like I said, I carry sometimes. I don't believe that every time I need milk from the corner storeI would have to defend my honor. Chances still are pretty slim to be having to engage in a live fire situation. I'm 31 and haven't seen any trouble anywhere yet.

I didn't realize how strongly andadamantly dedicated allot of people are for OC/CC that it's a part of everyday life. You're all right about so many possibilities. I should just keep my mouth shut around so many hardcore activists.

I dont mean to disrespect any of your beleifs or rights, please forgive my questioning or line of reasoning if you're offended. I'm just a realist and try to understand all points from every angle. In my experience it helps to avoid alot of confrontations.
If you carry to defend your honor...You carry for the wrong reason.... I like most carry to defend our lives. BG are everywhere. Any are not polite enough to advertise when where and how they plan to bad stuff....
I don't need my gun as a penis extension..
And this whole gun thing is not a BELIEF its a RIGHT that our forefathers who built this country gave us so we can defend ourselves...
I hope to never have to defend my life...But at least I can ..And I will...To my last breath....

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
Ok let's just say if you want to dobusiness with me

1. you can't carry a weapon

2. you have to dress the way I say

3. you have to act the way I say

4. you can't say what you want

5. I can throw you out if I don't like the color of your skin

6. ect ect

So where does it end ???????

Where do you say enough ?????
Where is it enough?

I vote with my money on what business I like. There are plenty of places that don't have policies that I object to. No business had a right to my money. If they want it, they will cater to me if they don't, I will go elsewhere.

If someone does not show any discretion in the choices of the business they support, great! I will!

So, if you want to dobusiness with me......act like you really want my business. Telling me to forgo my right to self defense is a 'Fail". If you don't want it, I am happy to go some place else.

I say enough, when I am satisfied enough. ...arbitrary sometimes? ...you bet!

Scrub

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
You cant compare all that to respecting a companys decision to posting a no guns sign though. I will certainly educate someone in a store like the manager or owner on the laws and suggest that it's not so bad to OC. But to come on strong and say that they'll lose a customer because they dont beleive in your beleifs is not only rude but can be taken as threatening. Who's going to argue with a man carrying a gun about losing them as a customer if they dont take the sign down? Of course he's going to accomidate your every wish and agree with you. It's not fair, and it seems pushy and demanding.

Politeness and understanding on BOTH parties is key. Where it where you want! But you cant force your beleifs on other people. You have to remember they have just as much of a right to denyOC as you do to practice OC.
I was never impolite, and I never disrespected their decision. I simply wanted them to make an informed decision, that is why I spoke to the manager rather than just not shopping with them. I think you will find that many here are going to disagree with you about this one.

As to their right to deny OC, I fully understand it, but I do not like it and wanted them to know that. I was never in a huff, and I see no way for anyone to think I was being threatening over it at all, we even joked about posting a No Robberies sign instead. And FYI, I did not have a gun when I was talking to him due to the sign on the door.

I respect private property rights, and I will respect their decision, but until you or someone else can notify me in advance when I need it, I plan to carry. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Scrub

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I visited the Piggly Wiggly in Washington NC today, and they did NOT have a "no guns" sign posted. If this were a "corporate" thing, you' think that all the stores would have them displayed...

Just sayin'...
I think "Central Office" meant the folks that own a particular group of stores, not PW corporate.

The one in Elm City does not have one either, I will inquire further to find out who owns this particular store, and try to follow up with the appropriate people.

Dreamer

imported post

Like I said, Piggly Wiggly has it's corporate HQ in Keene, Hew Hampshire. Id be REALLY surprised to find that Corporate would be behind this, or would even allow the local manager to ban firearms. New Hampshire is about the most pro-gun state in the union...

Scrub

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Like I said, Piggly Wiggly has it's corporate HQ in Keene, Hew Hampshire. Id be REALLY surprised to find that Corporate would be behind this, or would even allow the local manager to ban firearms. New Hampshire is about the most pro-gun state in the union...
I am going to try to draft a letter/e-mail by the end of the week to HQ, but like I said earlier, I think there are "regional" or "central" offices that control smaller groups of stores. The reason I say that is that there was someone from the "central office' for the Pinetops store that was actually in the store while I was talking to the manager, and I think I have seen him there before.

Scrub

imported post

Scrub wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
I am going to try to draft a letter/e-mail by the end of the week to HQ, but like I said earlier, I think there are "regional" or "central" offices that control smaller groups of stores. The reason I say that is that there was someone from the "central office' for the Pinetops store that was actually in the store while I was talking to the manager, and I think I have seen him there before.
I just sent my e-mail concerning this incident. I will let you know what I hear from them.