• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Weapons sign posted .............. need help

REX681959

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
I cant argue that. Just pointing out the fact that these store managers and owners have rights too.. Not defending a no gun sign. Just looking at it from another perspective.

Like I said, I carry sometimes. I don't believe that every time I need milk from the corner storeI would have to defend my honor. Chances still are pretty slim to be having to engage in a live fire situation. I'm 31 and haven't seen any trouble anywhere yet.

I didn't realize how strongly andadamantly dedicated allot of people are for OC/CC that it's a part of everyday life. You're all right about so many possibilities. I should just keep my mouth shut around so many hardcore activists.

I dont mean to disrespect any of your beleifs or rights, please forgive my questioning or line of reasoning if you're offended. I'm just a realist and try to understand all points from every angle. In my experience it helps to avoid alot of confrontations.
Well one of my pet peeves is a store that thinks they can just treat their customers any way they want & they will still come back. I say put your money where your mouth is. If enough people get fed up some of these stores will either change or go belly up. For example the other day at Mc Dononlds going through the drive thru, I ordered, gave them my money , pull up & then it's Pull up & I'll bring it out to you. Well guess what. When you do they forget about you or they take their own sweet time. You should see their faces when I say NO I WON'T. You have my money. Either give me my money back (which they can't ) or give me my order. If you happen to be behind me sorry but I was there first. Don't like it, go somewhere else or complain to the management. Any place I shop at I do so on my terms.

muccione

imported post

REX681959 wrote:
XD40BiTone wrote:
I cant argue that. Just pointing out the fact that these store managers and owners have rights too.. Not defending a no gun sign. Just looking at it from another perspective.

Like I said, I carry sometimes. I don't believe that every time I need milk from the corner storeI would have to defend my honor. Chances still are pretty slim to be having to engage in a live fire situation. I'm 31 and haven't seen any trouble anywhere yet.

I didn't realize how strongly andadamantly dedicated allot of people are for OC/CC that it's a part of everyday life. You're all right about so many possibilities. I should just keep my mouth shut around so many hardcore activists.

I dont mean to disrespect any of your beleifs or rights, please forgive my questioning or line of reasoning if you're offended. I'm just a realist and try to understand all points from every angle. In my experience it helps to avoid alot of confrontations.
Well one of my pet peeves is a store that thinks they can just treat their customers any way they want & they will still come back. I say put your money where your mouth is. If enough people get fed up some of these stores will either change or go belly up. For example the other day at Mc Dononlds going through the drive thru, I ordered, gave them my money , pull up & then it's Pull up & I'll bring it out to you. Well guess what. When you do they forget about you or they take their own sweet time. You should see their faces when I say NO I WON'T. You have my money. Either give me my money back (which they can't ) or give me my order. If you happen to be behind me sorry but I was there first. Don't like it, go somewhere else or complain to the management. Any place I shop at I do so on my terms.
I NEVER pull up...I say "its cool Ill wait here" Makes them mad but fuk em... Great minds think alike. We are just a bunch of people fed up with being told what to do...

Sam

imported post

I believe the pull up improves their average speed of service. They are being timed when a car is at the window, among other things. But I agree, that is not my problem.

edited to add the following and avoid a thread hi-jack LOL!

I think it's pretty basic. Most carry a weapon legally because they are not comfortable with that slim chance of needing it. If you are than you have the right to leave it in your car for 20 mins. If you aren't you have the right to shop somewhere else. I don't think it was asinine to suggest you may stop shopping there.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
But is it absolutely necessary EVERYWHERE? No, I dont think so.
And certainly not in a school zone like Columbine or VA. Tech! And not in a restaurant where there are women and children, like Luby's in Killeen.

They dont like it? Ok, turn around and secure it in my vehicle then.
Cool. Maybe I'll be the guy sitting in the parking lot watching you unsaddle so I'll know which car to break into while you are inside getting your oreo's and salsa.

Scrub

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
XD40BiTone wrote:
But is it absolutely necessary EVERYWHERE? No, I dont think so.
And certainly not in a school zone like Columbine or VA. Tech! And not in a restaurant where there are women and children, like Luby's in Killeen.

They dont like it? Ok, turn around and secure it in my vehicle then.
Cool. Maybe I'll be the guy sitting in the parking lot watching you unsaddle so I'll know which car to break into while you are inside getting your oreo's and salsa.
You are making my point for me very well. I am a Va Tech Alumni, and two of my first cousins were on campus the day the shooting happened, so that one hits close to home.

As for someone stealing my gun from my truck, that is another point of concern for me because Pinetops is a small town, and it would not surprise me if a thug spotted me in the store without it, and recognized who I was, and it would make my truck a target.

wylde007

imported post

I don't believe that every time I need milk from the corner store I would have to defend my honor.
Defending your honour? It's about defending your life. Criminals don't recognize the reason you've gone out and say "Hey, that guy's just getting milk, we shouldn't bother him."

What an absurd perspective to hold regarding your own safety.

Dreamer

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:

It's not about defending ones honor--it's about defending one's LIFE...

I'm 44. I lived in Northern Virginia for 15 years, and working in VA, MD and DC during that time. I carried where legal (in VA).

I've only been accosted twice in my whole life to the point where I felt the assailant was a threat to my life. Once in VA, and once in DC. Guess which one I felt a LOT safer in? And guess which one I had to use by titanium-reinforced briefcase to put an end to?

Funny thing is, the time I DIDN'T have a firearm, the person attacking me got hurt a whole lot more than the time I did, because in the VA incident, as soon as I drew my firearm, the BG dropped his knife and ran away.

The fellow who tried to mug me in DC wouldn't take "NO" for an answer, and ended up with a few "Sampsonite" logos imprinted in his bean for his troubles...

The VA incident happened when I was walking to the store--less than 1/4 mile from my apartment.

The DC incident happened at the entrance to the DOT Metro stop. For those of you who don't know the DC Metro (subway) system, that entrance is literally the open-air street-level area of the Department of Transportation Headquarters.

Where did I feel safer--a dark street in Manassas VA or standing in front of a large Federal department headquarters? Neither, to be honest...

This is why I haven't set foot in DC in over 2 years, and ONLY go to MD to visit my granddaughter. Neither place recognizes ANY of my permits. I carry pretty much 24/7 these days--not because I'm paranoid, or not because I live in an "unsafe" part of town. I live in a sleepy little semi-rural NC town about an hour from the coast. I hope I never need my gun, and I try to live in such a way that I am not putting myself intentionally in dicey situations.

The thing is, criminals don't post their schedules on Facebook or in the local paper...

I don't expect trouble in my life. But I have lived long enough to know that trouble has an uncanny way of finding you when you are least prepared to deal with it.

I was an Eagle Scout--I learned at a VERY young age that Being Prepared is ALWAYS a good thing. And I plan to do everything I can to prepare myself for the rare chance that I may need to defend against some random nutcase criminal...

I'd rather have my firearm with me--every day of my life--and NEVER need it, than not have it ONE TIME and find myself in a situation where I needed it to defend my life, or the lives of others.

The most tragic two words ever uttered by a man are "IF ONLY..."

I never want to utter those words. And I definitely NEVER want to have my family utter those words over my grave.

I carry because I love my life, I love my family, and I have an obligation to do whatever I can to make sure I live a good long life.

Any other course of action is simply irresponsible...

ocgso

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
You cant compare all that to respecting a companys decision to posting a no guns sign though. I will certainly educate someone in a store like the manager or owner on the laws and suggest that it's not so bad to OC. But to come on strong and say that they'll lose a customer because they dont beleive in your beleifs is not only rude but can be taken as threatening. Who's going to argue with a man carrying a gun about losing them as a customer if they dont take the sign down? Of course he's going to accomidate your every wish and agree with you. It's not fair, and it seems pushy and demanding.

Politeness and understanding on BOTH parties is key. Where it where you want! But you cant force your beleifs on other people. You have to remember they have just as much of a right to denyOC as you do to practice OC.

You miss the point.....He DID respect the company's decision by going back to his car and disarming.

You are correct, the company has the right as a private business to set their rules. But he has the right as a private citizen to take his business elsewhere.

I don't shop anywhere that prohibits carry (even if I am disarmed). It is just a matter of principle to me.

I am a white man who got two degrees from NC A&T State University. Because of my time and experiences there, I also won't shop from a store or by a product (Tommy Hilfiger) that I feel intentionally/blatently discriminates against any ethnic group.

It is my right to spend my money on products/services that don't restrict my God given freedoms on this earth.

My $0.02

XD40BiT(roll)one

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

I worked for PW for several years installing and maintaining their cash register computer systems. If they have a no guns policy, it is news to me. 99% of the PW stores (in North Carolina) are franchises so the store owner basically has the say so because he is the property owner.Piggly Wiggly Inc. owns the warehouses and distribution centers, but the actual stores are privately owned.

buzzsaw

imported post

+1 on that thinblue. I just today fired my doctor in Jacksonville over the same issue. Been going to the same doc. for quite a few years and all of a sudden today they have up a sign "NO Weapons in the building". I asked what it was all about and apparently one of the patients who conceals had his weapon with him and the nitwit that helps the doc. went high and right over it so the patient mentioned that it wasn't posted. It has been often repeated on this board "Never suggest a sign". Now I have to find a new doc.

Sam

imported post

Oh no, I am fairly new here. I mentioned a sign recently. D'oh! Won't happen again.

ocgso

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
+1 on that thinblue. I just today fired my doctor in Jacksonville over the same issue. Been going to the same doc. for quite a few years and all of a sudden today they have up a sign "NO Weapons in the building". I asked what it was all about and apparently one of the patients who conceals had his weapon with him and the nitwit that helps the doc. went high and right over it so the patient mentioned that it wasn't posted. It has been often repeated on this board "Never suggest a sign". Now I have to find a new doc.

Most of the docs offices in Greensboro have signs.

I will often leave in the car if I am going to certain doctors (like an orthopedic surgeon who will be taking xrays, or my oncologist who will be feeling for lumps).

Not saying it is what everyone should do, but a choice I make.

I CC'ed mine to my son's pediatricians visit this morning, because I didn't want to cause a stink by OC'ing in the building. Again, a personal choice and not a recommendation.

Anyone know of any docs that are OC friendly??

Scrub

imported post

Anthony_I_Am wrote:
I worked for PW for several years installing and maintaining their cash register computer systems. If they have a no guns policy, it is news to me. 99% of the PW stores (in North Carolina) are franchises so the store owner basically has the say so because he is the property owner.Piggly Wiggly Inc. owns the warehouses and distribution centers, but the actual stores are privately owned.

I got a similar response from PW customer service on the web site about franchising, but the nice lady that responded suggested I contact the store manager, and get the information to contact his central office to discuss the policy further.

Smith45acp

imported post

XD40BiTone wrote:
But to come on strong and say that they'll lose a customer because they dont beleive in your beleifs is not only rude but can be taken as threatening.

XD you have got to be joking. I've done this several times myself and not in a rude way at all. If you don't tell them they're losing your business and why then they'll never know. They may not have given thought to how important constitutional rights are to a lot of people.

There is nothing inherently rude about being forthright with someone.

It sounds as though he could get some results from his polite conversation with the manager he spoke with. The guy said he would look into it that's all we can really ask.