• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Philadelphia Daily News LTE: On gun permits, it's the police who're flouting the law

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20100209_Letters__On_gun_permits__it_s_the_police_who_re_flouting_the_law.html

Posted on Tue, Feb. 9, 2010

Letters: On gun permits, it's the police who're flouting the law
Philadelphia Daily News

DISTRICT Attorney Seth Williams should stop whining about Philadelphia residents legally applying for Florida gun-carry permits and instead crack down on the Philadelphia Police Department's lawbreaking "gun permit unit" ("Can't Get a Gun Here?," Feb. 5). Just take a look at the unlawful demands made of Philadelphia residents by the police permit unit at http://www.ppdonline.org/hq_gunpermit.php: fingerprints, police interviews, driver's license and more!

It's kind of hard to blame Philadelphia gun owners for bypassing the law-flouting Philly police permit unit. The city's crime fighters should obey the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act before throwing any more stones at legal gun owners.
Mike Stollenwerk
Alexandria, Va.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Grace cited an example of a Philadelphia man who obtained a Florida license to carry. He was subsequently pulled over in a traffic stop, and not only did he have two handguns on him, but he also had a half-pound of marijuana, numerous other drugs and several thousand dollars in cash. When the case went to court, prosecutors could not charge the man with any gun violations, Grace said, because of his Florida permit.
Firearm plus drugs equals no gun violation? Someone is blowing smoke here, and it ain't me.

Brian Grady, deputy of the Special Operations Division of the Philadelphia D.A.'s office, said that prosecutors come across Florida permits issued to Philadelphia residents whose permits have been revoked "more frequently than we would care to."
Could it just be that Philadelphia revokes LTCFs just because you were the victim of a crime? Or because it's Thursday?

yankees98a

imported post

I already have a non res florida ccw. If I move to Philly would I be good or need to apply for a PA ccw?

Slidell Jim

imported post

I applied for the Fla. non-res simply b/c it costs less and lasts longer than a local resident permit.