• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

protias

imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
A very valid question has been asked about what to bring (signage etc)

We are just meeting at Starbucks to get together and have coffee, hot chocolate and meet-n-greet and patronize a business that supports the right to carry. We are not "protesting" or "demonstrating" at Starbucks. We are meeting there show that businesses would do well to support the rights of law-abiding citizens. I know Starbucks will appreciate the big $'s on Sunday

If you bring signs leave them in your car at Starbucks. We will save those for the State Patrol Office. If there are any further instructions or announcement regarding signage etc, we will make them at Starbucks before heading over to the State Patrol District Office.

Please keep signs polite as I know you all would. This is about awareness and we are all law-abiding citizens.

Me personally, I was thinking I'd make a small sign that said "harass criminals, not law-abiding citizens"

Or perhaps a new version of an old saying: The LEO "serinity prayer" "God, grant law enforcement the education to know the law, the desire to protect the law abiding, the courage to deal with criminals, and the wisdom to know the difference between the two"

No large signs. Nothing bigger than a poster-board size.

Be creative, polite, and informative.

In the unlikely event we have a passerby heckler or two the best response is to smile and wave, perhaps offer a thumbs up, or when needed blow them a kiss.
Agreed time one million. Please keep this civil and nothing demeaning the officers involved.

Support The 2nd

imported post

Something you ALL should consider:

This is your first actual demonstration/protest. If your turn out is large enough, the media will be forced to pay attention.

If business discriminated against a member, you would only need remind them of February 21 when you urge them to change their policy.

You may also want to form a business alliance group to prevent LEO from doing this to other businesses (like when that one city/chief sent letters to all the businesses).

Make it similar to the individual membership, but you give them a Wisconsin Carry business alliance sticker/decal for their door (informing everybody they are OC friendly) and listing/linking them on your site.

GOOD LUCK

scorpio_vette

imported post

I'm thinking about coming out to this, but this would be my first time at any type of protest or demonstration, and i've only open carried a couple times so far to place i knew were friendly. I most likely would not be carrying as i'm still new and don't want to find myself in a situation getting arrested if "they" decide that the protest isn't something they like.

but perhaps if i can make it, i could bring a video camera and film the event for documentation. is there anybody from the cudahy/oak creek/st. francis area that would want to ride together???

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The more the merrier. Please bring your video camera do help document the event. We also need someone to bring a digital camera so we can get pictures for the facebook page.

LEO will NOT make another attempt to stifle us (in front of the press/camera). We will peaceably make our point and then go for some Chinese.

M

McX

imported post

ok to oc on sidewalk in front of police station? public domain?

M

McX

imported post

i hope so, i'll bring enough for gas, food, and a bit extra, i won't have bail.:D

protias

imported post

hardballer wrote:
I am assuming someone has looked into legal boundaries and will be there to point those out.
If we stay on the west side of eastern driveway, we will be fine and not enter a GFSZ.

KansasKraut

imported post

I've had an unpleasant thought running through my head all day. I'm sure at least some level of LEO monitors these boards. What if they tip off the Waukesha County Sheriffs, Sussex PD, or other local law enforcement agency, who then "asks" the local Starbucks or China Wok "whether they allow guns" like Captain America did in Protias' youtube vid? We might have to contend with an unnecessarily large and borderline-belligerent police presence. Not to be a downer, and I'm definitely going regardless, I'm just curious as to what we do then.

scorpio_vette

imported post

McX wrote:
i hope so, i'll bring enough for gas, food, and a bit extra, i won't have bail.:D

ROFLMAO sounds like me. if nothing else we'll have each other to chat with in there. LOL

protias

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
protias wrote:
McX wrote:
ok to oc on sidewalk in front of police station? public domain?
There are no sidewalks there.

ok really dumb question. if there are no sidewalks, then what do we walk on??? the street???
Yes. I don't think there are restrictions on government property (could be wrong), but I know the buildings are off limits. The road is a large 2 lane (could almost be 4).

M

McX

imported post

kansas kraut; we'll have numbers, video stuff out the rear end, some of the heaviest hitters in the movement present, and oh yeah, our rights too. plus, the cops can lean on businesses, but in this economy who is king? the dollar.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

This will be interesting to watch unfold... kind of like a train wreck.

I'm not not going because I'm skeered, but because I don't think the punishment fits the crime in this case.

M

McX

imported post

there will probably be a bit in the local paper, remarking about how peaceful the carriers were, and how they're bucks helped the businesses in town, and that they hope they come back.

protias

imported post

KansasKraut wrote:
I've had an unpleasant thought running through my head all day. I'm sure at least some level of LEO monitors these boards. What if they tip off the Waukesha County Sheriffs, Sussex PD, or other local law enforcement agency, who then "asks" the local Starbucks or China Wok "whether they allow guns" like Captain America did in Protias' youtube vid? We might have to contend with an unnecessarily large and borderline-belligerent police presence. Not to be a downer, and I'm definitely going regardless, I'm just curious as to what we do then.
Sussex uses the Waukesha County police. I know Sheriff Trawicki is a good man. If they police do hassle us, just stay calm as they will have a flood of open records requests and it will be the center of a very intense battle (for them) regarding OC.

M

McX

imported post

judging from the video, it wasn't the busiest day for the local chinese place, 30 or so open carriers decending upon them, cold and hungry, will probably make their month. starbucks, since they're national open carry, will just fill up the coffee pots, put out more cups, and welcome us with open arms. the other businesses will look at us funny, then after a little interaction, and some spending; say; you know these gun nuts are ok in my book. the only ones who won't like seeing us are the cops, but even they will see peace and contentment, and the glare of media cameras, and maybe come to the conclusion that we and they are people too.