• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Measure 1059

Richard6218

imported post

Here is the .pdf text of a proposition filed in January:

http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/text/i1059.pdf

IF this measure passes it will save Washington from becoming a California-style anti-gun state. The bill has a lot of very good protections, including some provisions that may have to be defended on Tenth Amendment grounds. I have no idea what kind of support this has or whether it is gaining any traction --- I have just discovered it and haven't had an opportunity to do the research.

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't popped up on this board before now.

Batousaii

imported post

Very interesting.
* I like it.... but curious,
- How does this position us against the 1968-Gun Control Actand/or National Firearms Act of 34 ? - or does it?

- I have always felt our rights in these regardsbear the heaviest of infringement.

:cool:Bat

Richard6218

imported post

The greatest concern I have is Section 4 which attempts to invalidate any federal legislation that violates any of the other provisions of the Act. Under the US constitution, federal law preempts conflicting state laws, BUT there is the Tenth Amendment which provides for states' rights. With the Obama-Holder-Feinstein conspiracy to confiscate guns at the federal level, there is sure to be a challenge. Washington's best hope to uphold this law is the Tenth Amendment:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This has a legal parallel in the Montana law that uses Tenth Amendment grounds to localize gun laws and bar federal intervention. That law is going thru challenges and probably won't be resolved until it's reviewed by SCOTUS.

Who knows how this might play out, but right now it's all speculation. First we have to get the bill passed.

heresolong

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
This has a legal parallel in the Montana law that uses Tenth Amendment grounds to localize gun laws and bar federal intervention. That law is going thru challenges and probably won't be resolved until it's reviewed by SCOTUS.
I think Tennessee just did this as well. It's not really a concern because they can just invalidate portions of the initiative and leave the rest standing.

Richard6218

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Richard6218 wrote:
I think Tennessee just did this as well. It's not really a concern because they can just invalidate portions of the initiative and leave the rest standing.
Not sure exactly what you mean by "portions of the initiative". Are you referring to SCOTUS striking down section(s) of the proposed bill, such as Section 4? If so, yes, I would agree but that's the risk the authors are taking in putting it in the bill. But it's certainly worth a try. I think the Tenth Amendment is a very powerful challenge to the federal authority and all the States that are joining that challenge including Montana and Tennessee and I believe a couple others, and now Washington, will be sending a strong message to D.C. that we're tired of the dictatorship.

Just Us

imported post

Does LEOs have to witness a crime or do they just have to say they suspect one might happen? Goes back to 'cause for alarm'. Specifically?? Clarification more than just a broad note. Weed out a possible loop hole!

Just a thought and opinion.

Richard6218

imported post

Just Us wrote:
Does LEOs have to witness a crime or do they just have to say they suspect one might happen? Goes back to 'cause for alarm'. Specifically?? Clarification more than just a broad note. Weed out a possible loop hole!

I detect a great deal of confusion in your thoughts. First, I see no reference in the proposed legislation to apprehension of a perpetrator of any crime. This bill is about the citizens' right to self-protection, essentially strengthening RCW 9.41.050, -.070, -.270, -.290 and -.300. The phrase "warrants alarm" that I believe you refer to is in 9.41.270(1) and refers to circumstances having to do with carrying a weapon. I won't paste it here, but if you look it up and read the whole section and subsections (1) and (2) it should clear things up for you.

Just Us

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Just Us wrote:

I detect a great deal of confusion in your thoughts. First, I see no reference in the proposed legislation to apprehension of a perpetrator of any crime. This bill is about the citizens' right to self-protection, essentially strengthening RCW 9.41.050, -.070, -.270, -.290 and -.300. The phrase "warrants alarm" that I believe you refer to is in 9.41.270(1) and refers to circumstances having to do with carrying a weapon. I won't paste it here, but if you look it up and read the whole section and subsections (1) and (2) it should clear things up for you.

It does specify "in the act of commiting a crime" in New Section 3 of I-1059. Disregard, I read it again (a little slower this time).