• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Convicted Felon is runnign for Sheriff in NC...

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
Huck wrote:
A convicted felon, for embezzlement, registered as a democrat.... Who would've thought it?
And ifthere were a republican, anti-gay, boy-scout leader running, what do you suppose he would most likely be convicted of?:banghead:

As I have already mentioned, another felon convicted for embezzlement (while a sheriff), Gerald Hege, and he is a republican. Democrat, republican, as the past has told us, it doesn't matter.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
The Donkey wrote:
Huck wrote:
A convicted felon, for embezzlement, registered as a democrat.... Who would've thought it?
And ifthere were a republican, anti-gay, boy-scout leader running, what do you suppose he would most likely be convicted of?:banghead:

As I have already mentioned, another felon convicted for embezzlement (while a sheriff), Gerald Hege, and he is a republican. Democrat, republican, as the past has told us, it doesn't matter.

take a read of the U.S. Constitution - what does it say ?

he was convicted of the crime and did his time ! his Rights have been restored - so he should be allowed to have his guns and run for Sheriff ! this is a no brainer ! In accordance with the U.S. Constitution, the highest law of the land. just because others do not obey it does not mean we should disobey it or disagree with it !

Obey the U.S. Constitution !

Once enough laws are passed we could all be criminals just for jay walking or looking the wrong direction or going to church or even carrying a gun ! open or concealed.

M

McX

imported post

well, at least he'll be close to the jail, which side of the bars he'll be working on yet remains to be determined.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

If "THE PEOPLE" elect him ! then he is SHERIFF ! which is GREAT ! because "THE PEOPLE" have spoken which is as the U.S. Constitution says !The REPUBLIC ! LIBERTY ! THE PEOPLE !

p.s. I have no stake in this election but THE PEOPLE of that COUNTY do ! Let those PEOPLE decide it isTHEIR COUNTY !THE PEOPLE need to vote their desire whatever that desire is - 100% voter participation.

it sure will sent a signal across the country if he is elected ! a good signal ! THE PEOPLE's signal ! THE PEOPLE will have spoken !

Dreamer

imported post

I'm not saying these putzs should be barred frm running.

I'm just saying that I find it sort of BRAZEN that someone who has proven themselves to be a thief would have the balls to throw his hat in the ring for an election for the highest law-enforcement position in the county...

I mean, it's not like these guys have proven themselves trustworthy with the public funds in the past...

People like this--who abuse their position to foster corruption and personal gain at the expense of others--don't "rehabilitate" as a rule.

Look at Marion Barry in DC--case in point.

A people get the government they deserve...

Dreamer

imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
it sure will sent a signal across the country if he is elected ! a good signal ! THE PEOPLE's signal ! THE PEOPLE will have spoken !

Yeah, the signal that YES, in fact, NC government is completely rotten and corrupt, and the People here are as stupid as the People in Washington DC who re-elect their own brand of serial criminals like Marion Barry...

Yeah, THAT'S a message to be proud of....:banghead:

Idaho, I DO have "a dog in this fight". I live in NC, and these sheriff's candidates are in counties that border or are very close to mine. Personally I'd rather not have the primary law enforcement officers in my nearby counties being these types of people. We have enough problems in this state with certain LEAs harassing OCers and doing all sorts of other questionable tactics. The LAST thing we need to do is have to worry about whether or not these high officers are ALSO picking our pockets on the sly...

It's an enbarrassment as a resident of NC, and as a law abiding citizen that these guys would have the brazen gall to even CONSIDER running again for Sheriff. But it's an even bigger disappointment that the People of their counties seem to actually WANT these crooks back in office.

To quote Ron White, "You can't fix stupid"...

Slugslinger

imported post

Lurchiron wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
Thsi proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that some people believe there are TWO standards of the law in our nation--one for "officials" and one for "the rest of us"..

http://www.witn.com/crime/headlines/84496182.html

A Sheriff who is a "prohibited person"? Under Federal law this guy can't possess, purchase, or carry a firearm. This fellow has filed to run for Sheriff in Washington County, NC.

That should make for some effective "Sheriff-ing"... :banghead:

EVERY single person in NC should be aware of, and outraged by this. Thsi guy was conviced and served time for EMBEZZLEMENT. He is a THIEF, and he want's to be the Primary Law Enforcement Official in one of our most-traveled-through coastal counties, where tourism is BIG business. If elected, he could be a nation-wide embarassment to our fine state...

At therisk stepping on the other side of the aisle here, I believe that most, if not all dept.'s DO NOT require sheriffs to carry side-arms. For example, how many times did you see Andy Griffith packing heat(Now Barney Fife is a whole other story) and wasn't he sheriff of a city in NC?
Flipper never needed a gun either! And Batman.....well I'm not sure what jurisdiction that would fall under...Gotham.....so New York.....hmmm.

Better go back to Barney and Andy, wasn't that a documentary?:lol:

All in good fun. NO OFFENSE INTENDED

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Slugslinger wrote:
Flipper never needed a gun either! And Batman.....well I'm not sure what jurisdiction that would fall under...Gotham.....so New York.....hmmm.

Better go back to Barney and Andy, wasn't that a documentary?:lol:

All in good fun. NO OFFENSE INTENDED

Batman had Shark Repellent Bat Spray... if it can stop sharks, it can stop anything, why do you need a gun?

shark-repellant-bat-spray-batman.jpg

:lol:

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe I should move to NC and as a prohibited person in California run for sheriff.

In the chance I get elected and carry you think the State of California might try to violate me and get me extradited to California?

(I was convicted of a prohibitive misdemeanor, not a felony. Firearm near a school.)

Slugslinger

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Maybe I should move to NC and as a prohibited person in California run for sheriff.

In the chance I get elected and carry you think the State of California might try to violate me and get me extradited to California?

(I was convicted of a prohibitive misdemeanor, not a felony. Firearm near a school.)

So can you own firearms? Seems like a silly question and looks the same in text but- re-instated?

Realy great laugh though-thanx:celebrate

Adam H

imported post

If enough people vote put them back in office, you've got to wonder how bad the other candidate was.

Oh, if one of them gets elected, he could always carry a cap and ball revolver for a sidearm. As for a long arm, he could use a muzzleloader. That would be interesting, to say the least.

As for my two cents on this, if they have changed their ways and are an honest person now, I have no problem. Whether either one has or not, there's no way to tell.

Alexcabbie

imported post

A lot of people here are using the term "Sheriff's Department" which is incorrect. Sheriffs are free-standing elected officials and not appointed heads of departments (although there may be departments within the Sheriff's Office.

(The word "sheriff" comes from the old Feudal system, wherein ten villages constituted a "tigthing" led by a Reeve. Ten tithings comprised a shire, with a represetative of the Crown known as the "Shire-Reeve" providing law enforcement and other services. This eveloved into our modern elected office of "sheriff" and also explains why I have to keep going back and correcting myself for spelling it "sherrif")

So: Sherrif=Politician

Politician = crook

I dunno. the dude seems qualified to me.....

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
A lot of people here are using the term "Sheriff's Department" which is incorrect. Sheriffs are free-standing elected officials and not appointed heads of departments (although there may be departments within the Sheriff's Office.

(The word "sheriff" comes from the old Feudal system, wherein ten villages constituted a "tigthing" led by a Reeve. Ten tithings comprised a shire, with a represetative of the Crown known as the "Shire-Reeve" providing law enforcement and other services. This eveloved into our modern elected office of "sheriff" and also explains why I have to keep going back and correcting myself for spelling it "sherrif")

Politician = crook

Well, North Carolina explicitlyuses "office" and "department" interchangeably in the General Statutes and defines them as the same thing, encompassing the entire organization, it's people, assets, etc , including the actual position of sheriff.

But point well taken...

Slugslinger

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

Politician = crook

lmao .......bonus, now I can skip my history class today!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, if "We the People" can elect and re-elect (right after after he got caught in possession of cocaine) a low-life street-trash POS like Washington DC's former mayor Marion Barry, then why not this NC guy who did something 20 years ago (and with a lesser drug)?

-- John D.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am suprised more people are not looking at the real problem here.

The federal law prohibiting any felon from owning a firearm.

Do you folks know what all are considered felonies? If your dog bites someone, that is a felony in some states. If you unknowingly enter state land or a state owned building with a firearm, that is a felony in some states. If you have sex with a 17 year old who lies to you, that is a felony in some states.

I don't think every felony conviction should prohibit firearm possession or ownership.

If anything should, it should be a history of violent, aggressive behavior.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Here in Virginia, throwing a snowball at an occupied vehicle is a felony. And so is runniing over a firehose with your car. And if you "command, entreat, or otherwise attempt to persuade" someone else to do either of these things, you are guilty of soliciting commission of a felony - which is, likewise, a felony.

BTW why is a felony like an orange?

Because NOTHING rhymes with it!:celebrate

CarryOpen

imported post

I don't know his issues, but I'm ok with this guy running. If you did the time then you're OK in my book until you prove otherwise. Would I vote for him? Don't know, when a felon runs in my county I'll look at them based on the issues at hand, not just a conviction.