• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comprehensive laws and policies for Virginia?

hibby76

imported post

Hey all,

I'm trying to quickly put together a comprehensive list of the open carry laws for Virginia and several other states to have all in one place. I'm hoping to have the statutes and actual law, not merely a summary (although I'll take what I can get). If you could copy and paste them here, I would really appreciate it. Sources would be appreciated. By the way, I'm looking specifically for information regarding those of us who don't have a recognized concealed permit and wish to open carry.
If you can help me with more detailed information, I'd appreciate it.

What is opencarry.com's rating for this state?

Is open carry allowed? Source?

Is a permit required to open carry? Source?

What areas are prohibited to open carry? Source?

Minimum age to open carry? Source?

Acceptable forms of open carry? (loaded, unloaded, empty chamber, restrictions on different types of firearms, etc). Help me define terms as needed.

Special notes: Anything that is worth knowing that isn't covered above. Comprehensive laws and policies for Alaska

Thanks!

VaLiberty

imported post

hibby76 wrote:
Hey all,

I'm trying to quickly put together a comprehensive list of the open carry laws for Virginia and several other states to have all in one place. I'm hoping to have the statutes and actual law, not merely a summary (although I'll take what I can get). If you could copy and paste them here, I would really appreciate it. Sources would be appreciated. By the way, I'm looking specifically for information regarding those of us who don't have a recognized concealed permit and wish to open carry.

Acceptable forms of open carry? (loaded, unloaded, empty chamber, restrictions on different types of firearms, etc). Help me define terms as needed.

Special notes: Anything that is worth knowing that isn't covered above. Comprehensive laws and policies for Alaska

Thanks!
How will this information be used, and will you be charging or profiting from access to it?

TFred

imported post

hibby76 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
I'm really confused as to why you would ask someone else to tell you what opencarry.com says about a state. You found this web page alright, it seems, can't you go to opencarry.com and read the information there as well?

I'm just saying...

TFred

VaLiberty

imported post

TFred wrote:
I'm really confused as to why you would ask someone else to tell you what opencarry.com says about a state. You found this web page alright, it seems, can't you go to opencarry.com and read the information there as well?

I'm just saying...

TFred
do you mean http://www.handgunlaw.us/ ?

TFred

imported post

VaLiberty wrote:
TFred wrote:

I'm just saying...

TFred
No, the poster asked: "What is opencarry.com's rating for this state?"

They can go read opencarry.com just as easily as anyone else can, no?

TFred

VaLiberty

imported post

TFred wrote:
VaLiberty wrote:
TFred wrote:

I'm just saying...

TFred
No, the poster asked: "What is opencarry.com's rating for this state?"

They can go read opencarry.com just as easily as anyone else can, no?

TFred
opencarry.com is an alias for opencarry.org

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Actually, there is an "open carry law" for Virginia. Here it is:

Constitution of Virginia, Article I, Section 13:

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.