• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Parks Carry

VApatriot

imported post

I was wondering if anyone else had plans for visiting a National Park herein the northern part ofVirginia next Monday. I was thinking on eitherthe Virginia side ofGreat Falls http://www.nps.gov/grfa/index.htmor perhaps Manassas National Battlefield Park http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htmif the weather allows. I was thinking mid to late afternoon, about 2:00-3:00pm. Any thoughts?

hunter45

imported post

I just watched "Gods & Generals" (great movie, and it's all about Virginia) last weekend and that really has me wanting to go walk around the Manassas battlefield. I'm going to wait for some more melting to take place though, I don't want to walk through 2 feet of snow.

By the way, models are hinting at another coastal storm on the 22nd, but it may be too warm for an all snow event this time around:

MODELS DIVERGE IN SOLNS FOR EVOLUTION OF SHORTWAVE/S SAT NGT THRU MON NGT. THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT STORM TO AFFECT THE AREA DRNG THIS TIME...

rebfan

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else had plans for visiting a National Park herein the northern part ofVirginia next Monday. I was thinking on eitherthe Virginia side ofGreat Falls http://www.nps.gov/grfa/index.htmor perhaps Manassas National Battlefield Park http://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htmif the weather allows. I was thinking mid to late afternoon, about 2:00-3:00pm. Any thoughts?
I won't be able to do anything that day, but I'll visit a park at some point in the near future.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rebfan wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
I won't be able to do anything that day, but I'll visit a park at some point in the near future.
Yep, me too. I'll take my assault rock!

VApatriot

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
It would still be CC only right? At least in VA.
No. This law change has nothing to do with State Parks. It conforms National Parks to the generalcarry laws of theindividual states. In Virginia we will be able to CC or OC with a permit, and we will also be ableto still OC without a permit the way we can in almost all other public places.

Neplusultra

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
No. This law change has nothing to do with State Parks. It conforms National Parks to the generalcarry laws of theindividual states. In Virginia we will be able to CC or OC with a permit, and we will also be ableto still OC without a permit the way we can in almost all other public places.
Really? That wasn't my limited understanding. I thought the law made federal parks the same as state parks. Which in VA means CC is OK but not OC. IIRC. But you are saying the law makes the national parks follow the statewide carry laws????

virginiatuck

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
If only we had an authoritative answer...

The "old" rule, which has since been removed from the register, issued in December 2008, after President Bush's EO#?????? read:

Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property

Chapter 1 - National Park Service, DOI

Part 2 - Resource Protection, Public Use, and Recreation

2.4 Weapons traps and nets. (new paragraph (h))

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park
area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law."

The current law reads (minus the Congressional findings sub-section):

(b) Protecting the Right of Individuals To Bear arms in Units of the National Park System and the National Wildlife Refuge System- The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System if--
(1) the individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm; and

(2) the possession of the firearm is in compliance with the law of the State in which the unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System is located.

I have yet to see any citation or explanation of why open carry would be prohibited in a NP or NWR as of Monday, February 22, 2010 under current Virginia law.

The only area where I see it even remotely possible for only concealed carry to be permitted is through the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. In 4VAC5-30-10, "park" is defined as:

"Park" means, unless specifically limited, all designated parks, parkways, historical and natural areas, sites, and other recreational areas under the jurisdiction of the Department of Conservation and Recreation.

4VAC5-30-200, as most of us know already, reads:
No person except employees, police officers, or officers of the department shall carry or possess firearms of any description, or airguns, within the park. This regulation shall not apply in areas designated for hunting by the Department of Conservation and Recreation. This regulation also shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state parks by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.

So, is any National Park or National Wildlife Refuge in any case, either completely or partially, under the jurisdiction of the VA DCR?

If not, then open carry will almost certainly be legal.

TFred

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Really? That wasn't my limited understanding. I thought the law made federal parks the same as state parks. Which in VA means CC is OK but not OC. IIRC. But you are saying the law makes the national parks follow the statewide carry laws????
The answer is yes. I think the original rule change did that (the one that Bush signed as he left office), but the antis found a judge to overturn the rule. So Congress wrote it into law, and the new wording conformed to the general manner of carry within a state, not restricted to how states treated their own parks.

It is an ironic a case of the antis shooting themselves in their own foot.

TFred

rebfan

imported post

TFred wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
VApatriot wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
The answer is yes. I think the original rule change did that (the one that Bush signed as he left office), but the antis found a judge to overturn the rule. So Congress wrote it into law, and the new wording conformed to the general manner of carry within a state, not restricted to how states treated their own parks.

It is an ironic a case of the antis shooting themselves in their own foot.

TFred
It is rather ironic. I think we should send them a collective thank you for a better law.

nova

imported post

Wait...so on 2/22 I'll be able to open carry in Virginia national parks, even without a VA CHP?

Name a place and I'll be there! (any time after 1pm)

nova

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Indeed, just like any other non prohibited place in VA.
Good to know! I kept confusing it with the rules from that short period it was made legal before being put on hold.

hunter45

imported post

We should all buy this costume from Party City and open carry muskets at the Manassas battlefield. :p

27089-m.jpg

vt800c

imported post

Sorry, dude, but I'm currently defined as a 'Dayum Yankee' so in honor of my heratage, I'd have to wear blue. But that doesn't meanI would not be willing bend an elbow with a friend.

Riana

imported post

Let me muddy the waters a bit more...

I thought it would be OK to carry however you see fit outdoors, but you cannot enter a building, since it's Federal property. True?

hunter45

imported post

Riana wrote:
Let me muddy the waters a bit more...

I thought it would be OK to carry however you see fit outdoors, but you cannot enter a building, since it's Federal property.  True?

That is my understanding.

From the WaPo article:

"Supervisors will have to ensure that tourists keep guns out of visitor centers and rangers' office buildings, because federal law bans firearms in federal facilities. But guns could be carried into private lodges or concession stands, depending on state laws."