• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for S&W M&P45

Hayashi Killian

imported post

So my first handgun will be a Smith & Wesson M&P45. I have decided on this handgun as it meets the greatest number of my requirements without breaking the bank.

I need the version with the manual safety. Part of the roster & is just plain a good idea.

Local stores are not required. I am more than willing to go online and through a local FFL (likely Dan Gussler as he's not too far from me). I've checked out the price on Bud's and it's good, however I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives that would be cheaper.

Kelly Ash

imported post

I found great used M&P45 for $400 cash. If you're not willing to buy a used gun, then maybe lok at the XDs. They are basically the same quality and both manual safeties operate in the same manner, ie up is safe down is off safe. The only major differences I can see is the slide rides higher on an XD and the trigger is a little different than the M&P. The first thing I noticed about my M&P, when shooting, was the trigger pull felt much heavier than the XD and requires me to make almost a perfect trigger pull to get good accurate hits on target. The XDs feels more like a 1911, single action. I grew to like this about the M&P because I get a better practice session even when plinking. Other than that, there's not much difference between the two aside from "new gun" price; the M&P45 being around $650-700 and the XD being around $550.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

45acpForMe

imported post

I had some good luck with GunBroker.com.

If you have some time to wait for deals to pop up you can save some money. If you need/want it right now you should get a decent price depending what is available right now. The cost of buying it online usually saves around $50-$100 over buying it locally even after shipping and transfer fees. Check with local FFL's to see what their transfer fees are and if they will transfer from private buyers or only other FFL's.

Also most sellers charge 3-5% extra cost for using VISA versus a cashier's check. I prefer the fixed price shipping and got caught paying more on a few that said shipping (actual cost). One place insited on me paying for insurance which also added to the cost.

If you have questions about the gun or their policies email them first. Once you place a bid you are legally bound to honor it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158204064

I have seen better prices at gun shows for this model too.

Hayashi Killian

imported post

This is one of the reasons why I utterly loathe Gunbroker:
"-Due to new dealer to dealer transfer requirements in California, WE WILL NO LONGER SHIP ANY FIREARMS TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA."

Yeah, **** you too.

I am also not fond of buying things through auction sites. I hate having to baby my purchase to the very end for fear of some assclown bid-sniping me.

sevenplusone

imported post

Hayashi Killian wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I utterly loathe Gunbroker:
"-Due to new dealer to dealer transfer requirements in California, WE WILL NO LONGER SHIP ANY FIREARMS TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA."

Yeah, @#$% you too.

I am also not fond of buying things through auction sites. I hate having to baby my purchase to the very end for fear of some assclown bid-sniping me.

While I don't care for gunbroker, that isn't their rule. That is the rule of the poster of the add. How about you put blame where the blame is due.

Furthermore, if I was in the gun business I wouldn't want to deal with California either...it's the worst state as far as 2a rights are concerned and I can only imagine the problems could come up if something even minor went wrong. Why deal with the rules of that state when there are so many other states where the system works so much smoother.