• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dept of Forestry says CHP only

Repeater

imported post

peter nap wrote:
This is the reason I kept asking McDonnell direct and pointed questions during his press calls.

This is one time I expect to hold his feet to the fire. I hadn't said much about it lately because I was waiting for it to come out in the State Register. It did on the 15th and it's time to start cranking the vise handle.
We will see very soon whether Bob McDonnell is truly an ally and defender of Virginia gun owners or not.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The public hearing date had to be changed from March 2 to March 4 from 1
to 4 PM and will be held at:

Buckingham Agriculture Center Auditorium

13360 West James Anderson Hwy

Buckingham, VA 23921

Ron Jenkins
Assistant State Forester
Policy, Planning and Budget
900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 800
Charlottesville, VA 22903

Office 434 220 - 9022
Cell 434 531 - 5985
Fax 434 977 -7749
ron.jenkins@dof.virginia.gov

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I have let VA-ALERT subscribers know about the comment period and start the comments rolling in.

However, the location I am showing for the hearing is on 54 Administration Lane....

Damn - I wonder which is right. :banghead:

The alert asks everyone to also ask for open carry to be allowed, too.

**UPDATE: They are both right, but the Administration is probably the correct one. Administration lane is a half circle that runs off Route 60.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
snip......

The agency is pre-empted. We clearly state this during the rule making process and document our desire to exercise our right in the state forrest. After the rule is promulgated we sue in circuit court. Hopefully even the court costs are recovered from the state agency for violation of preemption.

Would be interesting to see what the courts do with the issue.

My only concern is that the forrester may try to use the college carry litigation, which IIRC, did not go well for gun owners.
Actually no, state agencies are not preempted - localities (municipalities) and their agencies are so preempted.

§ 15.2-915.
Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
In short, the state has not addressed the issue of state agencies. The GA itself by Joint Committee rule made the changes regarding carry in the GAB and Capital Bldg without any change in the statutes.

This very issue that is being addressed by some with the Governor and Attorney General.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

I wonder if it would help to point out in comments that the current Governor has already weighed in on the issue... if they resist, it just becomes a formality for him to direct them to start behaving...

Or, perhaps just point out that their boss, the Governor, has already stated his opinion, it would be wise to follow it... ;)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

From VaAlert dated 2-20-2010

Looks like the sheer volume of replies from VCDL members on the State
Forest comment site crashed it last night.

The link in the Alert is good, but the entire web site is dead.

Please try the link again Monday - hopefully the site will be up by
then. Don't give up, we want everyone to post a comment supporting
the proposed regulation and asking for open carry to be added.

http://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/comments.cfm?stageid=5277

Yata hey

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:
snip......

The agency is pre-empted. We clearly state this during the rule making process and document our desire to exercise our right in the state forrest. After the rule is promulgated we sue in circuit court. Hopefully even the court costs are recovered from the state agency for violation of preemption.

My only concern is that the forrester may try to use the college carry litigation, which IIRC, did not go well for gun owners.
Actually no, state agencies are not preempted - localities (municipalities) and their agencies are so preempted.

§ 15.2-915.
Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
In short, the state has not addressed the issue of state agencies. The GA itself by Joint Committee rule made the changes regarding carry in the GAB and Capital Bldg without any change in the statutes.

This very issue that is being addressed by some with the Governor and Attorney General.

Yata hey

Whuh? Huh? The statute defines the term, "locality" as including all departments and agencies of the Commonwealth. The statehas "addressed the issue of state agencies", rightthere in the statute. That litigation over GMU went badly because the pro-se plaintiff didn't know what to sue over or how to structure his case. He didn't understand the technicalities of "causes of action", and he didn't understand civil procedure. He did not fail because the law wasn't on his side. That's all in my not-so-humble opinion, of course.

And where's the"pre-emption" thing coming from. There is no"pre-emption"- that only occurs when governments are parallel and one exercises a function to the disparagement of the powers of the other.This is absolutely not about "pre-emption". When an entity which is something that the state created, such as a municipal corporation (cities and counties), a stock corporation, or an agency or department, the people running that creation have only the powers that the Commonwealth granted, either by charter or by general law. Anything they do beyond those powers is legally void. Not "pre-empted", void. (The technical term is, "ultra vires".)

If it were merely pre-empted, that would mean that the act really IS something, and it is only limited in its effect by some other act having more power. We're talking about acts that have zero legal power and effect because they were done without authority.

State agencies, just like municipalities, have only the powers actually granted. Just because someone's been appointed "state forester" doesn't mean he'ssuddenly a law unto himself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

user wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Thundar wrote:
snip......

§ 15.2-915.

Yata hey

Whuh? Huh? The statute defines the term, "locality" as including all departments and agencies of the Commonwealth. The statehas "addressed the issue of state agencies", rightthere in the statute. That litigation over GMU went badly because the pro-se plaintiff didn't know what to sue over or how to structure his case. He didn't understand the technicalities of "causes of action", and he didn't understand civil procedure. He did not fail because the law wasn't on his side. That's all in my not-so-humble opinion, of course.

And where's the"pre-emption" thing coming from. There is no"pre-emption"- that only occurs when governments are parallel and one exercises a function to the disparagement of the powers of the other.This is absolutely not about "pre-emption". When an entity which is something that the state created, such as a municipal corporation (cities and counties), a stock corporation, or an agency or department, the people running that creation have only the powers that the Commonwealth granted, either by charter or by general law. Anything they do beyond those powers is legally void. Not "pre-empted", void. (The technical term is, "ultra vires".)

If it were merely pre-empted, that would mean that the act really IS something, and it is only limited in its effect by some other act having more power. We're talking about acts that have zero legal power and effect because they were done without authority.

State agencies, just like municipalities, have only the powers actually granted. Just because someone's been appointed "state forester" doesn't mean he'ssuddenly a law unto himself.
I yield to my learned colleague - his opinion on the matter is surely worth much more than mine.

More education on the matter is needed by many of us. I shall start with myself.

Thanks User.

Yata hey

ggd276

imported post

this story is why all gun carriers should work together.oc or permit holders,together we stand,if not we fall

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ggd276 wrote:
this story is why all gun carriers should work together.oc or permit holders,together we stand,if not we fall
This is one of the great benefits of both OCDO and VCDL - the sharing of information and circumstances.

While IANAL, there are those that post here that are - the opinions are greatly valued.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ggd276 wrote:
Well..yeah. It's a good philosophy, but it'll never happen.
The National Park change has really pulled a seam among gun owners. I'm not sure how far yet but am finding out pretty quickly.

The problem is that NP's mean different things to different people.
In Central Va, they're nothing but a few battlefields that Soccer Moms do their daily walks in.

In Yorktown and NoVA, people have to pass through them to go other places. The Skyline drive is the only meaningful one to a lot of folks in the mountains and further in the mountains and near NC where my farm is, they don't exist except around the lake.

Same thing with the State Forests.
I'm not so sure of this as you are Peter. Took a long time to get where we are now and will take some time and acceptance to regain the lost mileage. I get more of a feeling that the rift is beginning to heal - slowly but gaining some momentum.

Yata hey

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ggd276 wrote:
Well..yeah. It's a good philosophy, but it'll never happen.
The National Park change has really pulled a seam among gun owners. I'm not sure how far yet but am finding out pretty quickly.

The problem is that NP's mean different things to different people.
In Central Va, they're nothing but a few battlefields that Soccer Moms do their daily walks in.

In Yorktown and NoVA, people have to pass through them to go other places. The Skyline drive is the only meaningful one to a lot of folks in the mountains and further in the mountains and near NC where my farm is, they don't exist except around the lake.

Same thing with the State Forests.
I'm not so sure of this as you are Peter. Took a long time to get where we are now and will take some time and acceptance to regain the lost mileage. I get more of a feeling that the rift is beginning to heal - slowly but gaining some momentum.

Yata hey
I've gotten chewed out by OV members as well as a Timberframer I know:lol:

And we didn't have anything to do with it other than support VCDL.

I hope it dies down. What I'm seeing mostly are people that don't cross NP land and only see a quarter acre park here and there.
It must be getting late - I'm not following this part of the thread. How has the National Parks carry change, coming Monday, created a rift between gun owners?

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
I echo Phillip's question, how does this cause a rift between gunowners?
Good question but there seem to be a bunch that are flat against carry in NP's.

One Timber farmer that I've known for several years said it was stupid, irresponsible and endangered his second amendment rights.

Other comments have been a little less blunt but just as objectionable.

The simple fact is there isn't complete agreement among gun owners over anything.

Now exactly why some people feel the way they do over National Parks, I haven't a clue and I haven't pushed the issue. My tolerance level has just about hit zero with a lot of folks lately and this is one more set of gripes I don't want to hear about.

It's the law now. The time to have raised a stink was a long time ago. I happen to think it went fine.
Wow - that is absolutely mind-blowing. Gun owners, of all people, who don't understand freedom!:X I certainly understand your tolerance being low for such things.

What is not to like? It allows both open and concealed carry. Or is it about handguns, something that some hunters don't care about?