• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a vehicle in Fla.?

brboyer

imported post

turbodog wrote:
You said:

brboyer wrote:
My Florida CWFL is recognized in all of the states I listed in my post above, so it's perfectly legal for me to go to each and every one carrying concealed as long as I abide by their laws. No requirement to stop, unload, put it trunk, etc. The Feds have no jurisdiction on my trip.

And you also said:

brboyer wrote:
Make sure you follow the Federal law on interstate transport while traveling. Paraphrasing: Gun and ammo separate, locked in trunk.

So, explain which comment is correct please?
Both.

brboyer

imported post

turbodog wrote:
If I'm wrong there's a whole lot of misinformation on the subject out there.

Show me where we're all wrong brboyer.

DRIVING INTERSTATE WITH FIREARMS? FEDERAL LAW PROVIDES "SAFE PASSAGE" THROUGH ANTI-GUN STATES
[align=center]By Bruce Colodny, Attorney at Law, Copyright 1997[/align]
[align=center]http://www.gunlaw.com[/align][size=+1]Cross-country driving is another potential "legal trap" for gun owners. Some areas of the United States, for example Massachusetts or New Jersey, have extremely restrictive firearms laws. However, gun owners who are eligible and comply with a provision of federal law may lawfully travel through such areas despite state or local laws to the contrary.[/size]
[size=+1]In 1986, the 1968 Gun Control Act was revised by the enactment of the Firearms Owners' Protection Act ("FOPA"). Among the various FOPA provisions, the Act added 18 U.S.C. 926A (the "Safe Passage" act) to the Federal Criminal Code. This section applies to any person not prohibited under federal law from possessing firearms. Such persons may transport firearms from any place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms to any other place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms. For example a Florida gun owner may lawfully drive through Massachusetts to his ultimate destination in Vermont, provided he or she complies with the requirements of the federal "Safe Passage" act. Note, however, that it is not clear whether this act applies to transportation of firearms through the District of Colombia (Washington, D.C.).[/size]
[size=+1]To obtain the protection of the federal "Safe Passage" act, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition may be readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle. There is a further requirement that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[/size]
[size=+1]Neither case law nor the "Safe Passage" act itself defines "unloaded". Therefore, this writer strongly recommends that all transported firearms be completely unloaded. More specifically, an empty firing chamber is not sufficient. Be certain there are no live rounds of ammunition in the cylinder, magazine or clip whether or not attached to the firearm. Again, magazines and clips should be unloaded even if not attached to the firearm.[/size]
[size=+1]Another caution should be exercised when you are traveling in a hatchback, sport utility vehicle or motor home. Although such vehicles commonly have storage compartments, depending upon the configuration of a particular vehicle, factual questions may arise as to whether or not the storage qualifies under the Act as separate from the passenger or driver's compartment. In other words, unless your vehicle has a traditional trunk, this writer strongly recommends the use of both traditional locking hard-sided gun cases and separate locking hard-sided containers for ammunition. This is likely to be somewhat inconvenient but it is a small price to pay for the protection offered by the "Safe Passage" act against the severe (e.g. felony) penalties imposed by the anti-gun laws of some states.[/size]
[size=+1]The actual text of the Safe Passage Act reads as follows:[/size]

[align=center][size=+1]18 USC 926A [/size][/align]
[align=center][size=+1]Interstate Transportation of Firearms[/size][/align][size=+1]Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[/size]

"Decommissioned" Guns Nearly As Good As Confiscation
by Alan Korwin, Author
Gun Laws of America

......Even the widely hailed federal "Firearm Transportation Guarantee" (law # 18 USC 926A) relies on decommissioned guns. It was enacted as part of the Firearm Owners Protection Act in 1986, to help counteract high levels of federal abuse under the 1968 Gun Control Act. It guarantees a person the right to transport a firearm from any legal place to any other, anywhere in the country. However, the firearm must be unloaded and locked in the trunk, rendering it useless. If you bear it in any manner while you travel, the protection does not apply.

[font=Arial,Helvetica]How Can I Legally Transport a Firearm Through Other States?[/font] [font=Arial,Helvetica]You have a legal right under Federal Law to transport a firearm though any state of the Union provide you take a few simple steps, such as locking it in your trunk unloaded. This is a preemptive law -- local and state governments cannot take this right away from you, the Federal law preempts all local and state governments[/font]

ATF Regulations
The Interstate Purchase / Sale and Transportation of a Handgun:

May a non-licensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful purposes?

Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or
transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, notwithstanding
state or local law to the contrary. The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also,
the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and destination. [18 U. S. C.
926A, 27 CFR 178.38] 9[size=+1]_________________________________________________
[/size]
It's not my responsibility to teach reading comprehension skills over the interwebs.

JeepSeller

imported post

So.....let me get this straight here. What you are saying is...

I have a valid Florida CWL. I'm carrying concealed within my vehicle, perfectly legal in Floirda. I'm traveling to Georgia, who honors my Florida CWL by recipricosity agreement. Based on their laws, they also recognize my right to carry a firearm concealed in my vehicle.

What you are saying, if I get your drift, is...just as I get to the Florida/Georgia state line, I have to pull over on the shoulder, remove and unload my firearm and toss it in the trunk separate of the ammo...THEN, after I drive a few feet past that line on the pavement between the Welcome to Florida/Welcome to Georgia signs, pull BACK over on the shoulder, retreive my firearm, reaload it and replace it back at my side concealed?

Really? That's very interesting. I'm not sure how I've never heard that before. BOY..I Know a whole lotta people breaking the law every day who travel for a living. I'd better give them the 411.:lol:

brboyer

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:

I have a valid Florida CWL. I'm carrying concealed within my vehicle, perfectly legal in Floirda. I'm traveling to Georgia, who honors my Florida CWL by recipricosity agreement. Based on their laws, they also recognize my right to carry a firearm concealed in my vehicle.

What you are saying, if I get your drift, is...just as I get to the Florida/Georgia state line, I have to pull over on the shoulder, remove and unload my firearm and toss it in the trunk separate of the ammo...THEN, after I drive a few feet past that line on the pavement between the Welcome to Florida/Welcome to Georgia signs, pull BACK over on the shoulder, retreive my firearm, reaload it and replace it back at my side concealed?

Really? That's very interesting. I'm not sure how I've never heard that before. BOY..I Know a whole lotta people breaking the law every day who travel for a living. I'd better give them the 411.:lol:
That's what Turbodog is saying, yes. :what:

turbodog

imported post

JeepSeller wrote:

I've never heard of anyone being arrested on this charge alone. I tend to think it's one of those tag on kind of laws.

You know, say your tooling along from Texas with a few keys of coke and get pulled over in Florida. Cops find the dope and OH, whats this! A loaded gun! Well now we can tack on a violation of Interstate Transportation of a Firearm.

Nothing a cop is going to bother you over by itself.

And let me make this clear, I'm NOT saying I agree with the law. I'm only pointing out the wording of the law and making a supposition based on that wording. The examples (culled from the web) of other peoples opinions given in a previous post of mine, support my supposition. So I'm not the only one that reads it that way.

brboyer is clearly out of his league in this discussion, so I if anyone else out there has a dissenting opinion on the wording of the statute and is willing to say more than "because I say so", please chime in so that I can "learn".

brboyer

imported post

turbodog wrote:
JeepSeller wrote:

I've never heard of anyone being arrested on this charge alone. I tend to think it's one of those tag on kind of laws.

You know, say your tooling along from Texas with a few keys of coke and get pulled over in Florida. Cops find the dope and OH, whats this! A loaded gun! Well now we can tack on a violation of Interstate Transportation of a Firearm.

Nothing a cop is going to bother you over by itself.

And let me make this clear, I'm NOT saying I agree with the law. I'm only pointing out the wording of the law and making a supposition based on that wording. The examples (culled from the web) of other peoples opinions given in a previous post of mine, support my supposition. So I'm not the only one that reads it that way.

brboyer is clearly out of his league in this discussion, so I if anyone else out there has a dissenting opinion on the wording of the statute and is willing to say more than "because I say so", please chime in so that I can "learn".

Learning requires the ability to understand and comprehend the written word.

Please cite forus the penalty for violating this so called law.

turbodog

imported post

brboyer wrote:
turbodog wrote:
You said:

brboyer wrote:
My Florida CWFL is recognized in all of the states I listed in my post above, so it's perfectly legal for me to go to each and every one carrying concealed as long as I abide by their laws. No requirement to stop, unload, put it trunk, etc. The Feds have no jurisdiction on my trip.

And you also said:

brboyer wrote:
Make sure you follow the Federal law on interstate transport while traveling. Paraphrasing: Gun and ammo separate, locked in trunk.

So, explain which comment is correct please?
Both.
LOL To quote Bugs Bunny: "What a maroon" :lol:

turbodog

imported post

brboyer wrote:

Learning requires the ability to understand and comprehend the written word.
Couldn't agree more. I've already demonstrated a willingness to learn, but you still seem to be suffering from writers block when it comes to offering proof of your convictions.

Adam H

imported post

turbodog, even though it seems like a hopeless cause, I'm going to jump in this discussion and and see if I can convince you that you're wrong.

Once again, here's the Federal law.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

The law states that you may transport a firearm from one place where it's legal, through a place where it's illegal, to another place where it's legal as long as the firearm is unloaded. This means that if the firearm is being transported from a pro gun state like NC, though and anti gun state like NJ, to a pro gun state like VT, NJ laws are null and void as long as the gun is secured in accordance with this law. If I'm going from NC to VA, I don't have to follow this law because I don't need it's protections.

This law doesn't make anything unlawful. It only protects you from criminal prosecution by an anti gun state just for passing though it if you follow it. If you're not in an anti gun state, you don't need to follow it because you don't need protection from criminal prosecution.

JeepSeller

imported post

Wait a minute..so.. I DON'T have to hop out on the Florida side of the Florida/Georgia signs, unload the ammo from my concealed weapon, tossammo andfirearmin the trunk, drive a few inches across that imaginary line, hop out, reaquire my weapon, reload it and re-conceal it and continure my journey?

I'm so confused.....:banghead:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm OBVIOUSLY joking around here fellas. In the interest of keeping the kind of flame war junk that saturates some of the other state's groups,:cuss: just trying to keep things light here in the Sunshine group. There's obviously a disagreement on the table. Let's work it out so to educate all correctly vs. picking at each other. That's the whole purpose here, ain't it?

JeepSeller

imported post

I'm far from a legal-eze expert here in this subject. But, the way I've always understood things to be are...

If you are traveling from one gun-friendly state to another gun-friendly state, you simply only need to worry about being compliant with that next state's laws. In other words, if you are traveling froma state that recognizes the right to open carry with out a license into a state that does not allow open carry, you must make sure you ditch the open carry rig before you cross into that state before you get there. Say, you have a CWL and are headed into a state that does not honor your CWL, you'd better move that thing into your vehicle, again, compliant with that state's laws.

However, if you are moving from a gun-friendly state into an UN-friendly one, then, so long as you're only passing through,the federal laws kick in to protect you while you travel through that un-friendly state toward your destination of another friendly state.

In otherwords, so long as you are in a gun friendly state, and honoring their particular laws in transport/possession/carrying, you're fine,federal law is sort of inert, allowing state laws to preside. But,fed lawhovers there in the backgroundto protect your rights to travel fromstate to state transporting your firearm across unfriendly state lines solong as you are coming from somewhere you are legally allowed to possess that firearm to anotherplace that does the same.

Damn confusing, I know, but, that'sthe way I've always understood things to be.

turbodog

imported post

Adam H wrote:
turbodog, even though it seems like a hopeless cause, I'm going to jump in this discussion and and see if I can convince you that you're wrong.

The law states that you may transport a firearm from one place where it's legal, through a place where it's illegal, to another place where it's legal as long as the firearm is unloaded. This means that if the firearm is being transported from a pro gun state like NC, though and anti gun state like NJ, to a pro gun state like VT, NJ laws are null and void as long as the gun is secured in accordance with this law. If I'm going from NC to VA, I don't have to follow this law because I don't need it's protections.

This law doesn't make anything unlawful. It only protects you from criminal prosecution by an anti gun state just for passing though it if you follow it. If you're not in an anti gun state, you don't need to follow it because you don't need protection from criminal prosecution.
Not hopeless at all, the discussion just needed someone willing to explain it more thoroughly than "because I say so".

Which you and JeepSeller did quite well. Thank you for an excellent and cognizant explanation. I now understand how it works and realize my blanket statement at the start was indeed incorrect. At least half wrong anyway.

You guys are the types that makes these forums educational, others just seem to figure it's their duty to be as unhelpful as possible.

brboyer

imported post

turbodog wrote:
Adam H wrote:

Not hopeless at all, the discussion just needed someone willing to explain it more thoroughly than "because I say so".

Which you and JeepSeller did quite well. Thank you for an excellent and cognizant explanation. I now understand how it works and realize my blanket statement at the start was indeed incorrect. At least half wrong anyway.

You guys are the types that makes these forums educational, others just seem to figure it's their duty to be as unhelpful as possible.

I'm happy that you found someone to read and comprehend it for you, then spoon feed it to you in termsthat a 5 year old could understand.

Now wipe your chin.:lol:

Adam H

imported post

turbodog, since you proved that it wasn't a hopeless cause, I retract my comment.

brboyer, there ain't no need to go slinging around insults like that. turbodog admitted that he was mistaken and that you were correct.Trying to start up an argument ain't gonna do a thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Seems to me that there is an excess of flame trolling - insulting over points not requiring elucidation - sometimes appearing to be even designed to solicit such a response.

Never met anyone even half informed on interstate travel that had trouble comprehending the laws regarding such. The total newbies, truly ignorant or uneducated perhaps, but such is not a valid excuse of posters here with time in grade.

Yata hey

sek3530

imported post

I live in Florida and before I got my Carry Permit I would keep a handgun in my glove compartment And out of arms reach. I was stopped by a Police Officer at a Traffic Check Point and he asked me If I had a weapon and I replied YES. He asked me what kind and where was it so I told him it was a 25 cal auto in a holster and in the glove compartment. He checked my Driver License, and Insurance papers and off I went. I'm not sure this would apply to out of state drivers visiting Florida. Check the State Laws on the internet.

Pops

imported post

I have carried a loaded hand gun in Florida in the glove box for 28 years as a traveling sub contractor and been stopped by all different types oflaw enforcement from city cops, countysheriff's and state troopers, allthey ask thatyou inform them of the presentsof the firearm and it's location. BTW I do not have a concealed permit.