• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Names & Places In Firearms

neuroblades

imported post

OK, this is something I had wondered about some time again when I started reading and studying articles in the gun magazines.

We have "Virginia Tuck", carrying your sidearm with your shirt tucked behind it so as to keep it generally OC legal.

We have "Mexican Carry", carrying your sidearm tucked inside your waist band not utilizing a holster.

We have "IsraeliCarry", carrying your sidearm with an empty chamber, thus to shoot, you draw and then rack the slide.

While these 3 examples are forms of carry, I don't want to limit it to just names for various forms of carry but ANYTHING weapons related. Anyone else know of other names or places used?

This post is just for fun and to see what other ones I might be missing out on.

neuroblades

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
"Dutch loading" ... loading alternating types of rounds in your magazine
Now that's one that I had NEVER heard of before. Interesting! Is there a story behind how it got its name?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

neuroblades wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
"Dutch loading" ... loading alternating types of rounds in your magazine
Now that's one that I had NEVER heard of before. Interesting! Is there a story behind how it got its name?
I don't know for sure. I have tried to research this in the past without finding a definitive etymology. Apparently "dutch load" has been used in some contexts to mean trying to carry too large of a load. Also, "Dutch" has been used for nearly 300 years as a pejorative prefix in English (Dutch uncle, Dutch courage, Dutch wife, etc). Hence "Dutch load" meaning a non-typical or unusual method of loading or trying to carry too many different types of ammo. Just guessing here.

I have never found anything indicating how old the term is. It could date back as far as "buck & ball loading" - loading a ball and 2-3 buckshot into a smooth bore muzzle loader - or have been coined as an alternate term for that loading. Or it could be a more recent term but probably not later than 19th or very early 20th century as coining "Dutch ____" seems to have fallen out of fashion after that point.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"His and Hers" carry.

This would be when a couple are both packing.

"Dutch carry", could be applied to the above "his and hers". Kind of like an extention of "going Dutch" on a date. Each person providing their own personal protection.

neuroblades

imported post

Ivan Sample wrote:
Double Breasted Carry for women-one in each knockers:exclaim::p
You know, somehow I kind of find THIS one rather hard to believe. *LOL* Granted, I'd enjoy seeing that IRL! *LOL*

Ivan Sample

imported post

The plastic bag Mexican carry:exclaim:Thats when you are cheap to buy a holster and you put your gun inside the plastic bag inside your pants along your hip. Almost like IWB carry. :) Lol :celebrate

neuroblades

imported post

Ivan Sample wrote:
The plastic bag Mexican carry:exclaim:Thats when you are cheap to buy a holster and you put your gun inside the plastic bag inside your pants along your hip. Almost like IWB carry. :) Lol :celebrate
*LMBO* Never seen that one before.

robin.kevin

imported post

"No long playing ball." When you carry a action safety onlypistol IWB in the front and the trigger gets hung up.

Main reason I carry XD-40 over glock...