• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in restaurant, drinking legal?

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
J3. No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. [ A person who becomes intoxicated while carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such a restaurant or club is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. ] However, nothing in this subsection shall prohibit any sworn apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer [ or any retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute] . from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

Is to carry 'onto' mean to enter or to be on? That would be the determining factor. I would say under the bill as written that would be legal.

Does anyone know from a legal aspect????

TFred

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Jonesy wrote:
J3. No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. [ A person who becomes intoxicated while carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such a restaurant or club is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. ] However, nothing in this subsection shall prohibit any sworn apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer [ or any retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute] . from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
Is to carry 'onto' mean to enter or to be on? That would be the determining factor. I would say under the bill as written that would be legal.
Does anyone know from a legal aspect????
Just my guess, but I think if you got caught carrying concealed, and ended up in front of a judge and tried to argue that you carried "onto" openly, and then concealed, he or she is going to pause for about 2 seconds, maybe give a chuckle or two, then say GUILTY in a loud and clear voice.

Now others have pointed out that there is no penalty provided for violating J3 of 18.2-308, so I don't know what the consequences are for doing this.

Anybody know?

TFred

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

TFred wrote: Not disagreeing with you, but I am more concerned with the reverse scenario.... Someone walks in concealed, takes off a coat.....now is opencarrying, orders a glass of wine....and is technically guilty as I read it.

TFred

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
Not disagreeing with you, but I am more concerned with the reverse scenario.... Someone walks in concealed, takes off a coat.....now is opencarrying, orders a glass of wine....and is technically guilty as I read it.
I see your point, they probably should have worded it more like "No person who is carrying a concealed weapon on the premises..."

TFred

Tweaker

imported post

I am curious about this. After the proposed legislation takes effect, will you no longer retain the current option to drink while OC?

We gain CCW and give up drinking while doing so, WIN!

Will the current laws be superceded, or will you have a choice then?

wylde007

imported post

Tweaker wrote:
I am curious about this. After the proposed legislation takes effect, will you no longer retain the current option to drink while OC?
It will apply to OC now as it always has. The law is written into the CC statute and has no effect on lawful open carry.

Therefor, you may still drink if you wish. VA tuck when you order a beer. I'll sit with you.

Tweaker

imported post

Cool, cool, and thanks.

I have some work to do as a 5%er if I want to get to the level of the Hells Angels (1%er). I don't think I am that BAD to the bone. I will stand pat with my hand.

I mostly drink my homebrew at home with friends and at their dwellings. Much more better for so many reasons.

This thread is demonstrative of why those ofa conservative mindset are so rarely able to organize cohesively like the mouthbreathing, spoonfed leftists. We are so eager and willing to ostracize and out each other. A pity.

TFred

imported post

Tweaker wrote:
This thread is demonstrative of why those ofa conservative mindset are so rarely able to organize cohesively like the mouthbreathing, spoonfed leftists. We are so eager and willing to ostracize and out each other. A pity.
You can't make such broad assumptions like this, and expect to be anywhere near correct.

The simple fact is that this board and most of the people who live here are working to make OC something that is perceived by the general population to be regular, safe and normal. To see someone in possession of a firearm consuming a mind and body altering drug does not aid in that purpose.

You will never find support for that here, and it's not because the folks here answer to any of your silly name calling. It's because what you choose to do hurts the the end goal many here have worked very hard to achieve.

If you can't understand that, then perhaps the OCDO forum is not a place you will ever be a comfortable participant. If you can't support the stated purpose and goal here, why bother?

TFred

armsareok

imported post

I thought there were laws against being under the influence of alcohol while OC'ing, but I can't find them, only laws against under the influence either while CC'ing or carrying while having a CHP, depending on how you read it:

18.2-308 subsection J1: Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

If you read "such handgun" as any handgun, and not a concealed handgun, it seems that a CHP holder while OC'ing who is under the influence, would be committing a crime, while someone who does not possess a CHP would not be.

If "such handgun" is only a concealed handgun, then a CHP holder OC'ing would not be subject to this statute.

Let it be known that drinking does not necessarily constitute being "under the influence of alcohol" but that it is completely up to the judgment of the LEO and perhaps the judge.

let's not discuss whether it's right nor not, just whether it's legal.

armsareok

imported post

armsareok wrote
18.2-308 subsection J1: Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
I believe the word "such" suggests that the handgun must be concealed. The section this is taken from is called "Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry." and specifically describes only concealed weapons.

IANAL, but it looks like drinking while OC'ing is legal. Being under the influence of alcohol while OC'ing is not an additional offense to the existing Public Intoxication offense (18.2-388), but CC'ing is an additional offense.

So if you've been drinking and are in public, you may wish to OC if possible.

Don't forget that you don't need to be breathalyzed or have a certain BAC to be charged with Public Intoxication, and people have been arrested for having one drink: http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/304789-drunk-public.html

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

armsareok wrote:
armsareok wrote
I believe the word "such" suggests that the handgun must be concealed.
That is the correct interpretation, and that is what we teach in class when we go over the laws (although we do not advocate drinking while carrying).

Tweaker

imported post

TFred wrote:
Tweaker wrote:
You can't make such broad assumptions like this, and expect to be anywhere near correct.

The simple fact is that this board and most of the people who live here are working to make OC something that is perceived by the general population to be regular, safe and normal. To see someone in possession of a firearm consuming a mind and body altering drug does not aid in that purpose.

You will never find support for that here, and it's not because the folks here answer to any of your silly name calling. It's because what you choose to do hurts the the end goal many here have worked very hard to achieve.

If you can't understand that, then perhaps the OCDO forum is not a place you will ever be a comfortable participant. If you can't support the stated purpose and goal here, why bother?

TFred

OpenCarry.org

A pro-gun Internet community focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

I simply feel that having A drink is very much part of "daily American life." I just looked and I saw nothingthat places me as some threat to this website.

I am obviously comfortable with my life decisions (and according to BIG ed, my new life partner). That you or whomever else is clearly not, is of little concern to me.

Fenris

imported post

Color me slow, but is it a crime to carry while drinking, or to drink while carrying?