• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA - PWC Newbie OC'er

amob

imported post

Hey everyone:

I've enjoyed reading all the great information on this forum. I've been doing LOTS of reading about OC'ing in Virginia. I'm about at the level where I feel confident to try OC for the first time. I have only one question (please don't make fun of me for not knowing this!): Can I have my handgun loaded while OC'ing? I've seen some conflicting information on the internet (not here), but have been unable to find a satisfactory answer. I know, I know, some of you will answer, "what good is an unloaded gun?", and I agree, but I just want to make sure before I OC for the first time. Thanks!

t33j

imported post

Yes.

It'd be better to ask this question in the Virginia forum, as that's where you've stated you live. This varies on a state by state basis along with nuances such as how much ammo your mags may hold.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

amob wrote:
Hey everyone:

I've enjoyed reading all the great information on this forum. I've been doing LOTS of reading about OC'ing in Virginia. I'm about at the level where I feel confident to try OC for the first time. I have only one question (please don't make fun of me for not knowing this!): Can I have my handgun loaded while OC'ing? I've seen some conflicting information on the internet (not here), but have been unable to find a satisfactory answer. I know, I know, some of you will answer, "what good is an unloaded gun?", and I agree, but I just want to make sure before I OC for the first time. Thanks!
From your thread topic, it appears you live somewhere in Prince William County. You can see that is also where I live - in the western portion.

You may open carry your handgun, unloaded or loaded, chambered or unchambered at your discretion. You will quickly find that Virginia is VERY gun-friendly and the chance of a negative encounter is quite low.

In which part of the county do you reside?

amob

imported post

I live in the area of Prince William Parkway and Minnieville Rd. Thanks for the reply, by the way.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

amob wrote:
I live in the area of Prince William Parkway and Minnieville Rd. Thanks for the reply, by the way.
Ok, that puts you around Independent Hill... give or take. Let me propose a suggestion to you to help ease your entry into the open carry (OC) world.

Attend one of the lunches or dinners in the area. I was at the one this past Monday at Foster's Grille in Old Town Manassas. There were around a dozen of us who attended. Something like this is an excellent opportunity for you to carry your gun (you must OC into a restaurant which serves alcohol for consumption on the premises). You will meet some fine people and enjoy yourself.

And these get togethers take place all the time around the area. Hop on over to the Virginia forum and you'll see what's coming up.