• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded open sterile carry photo with Congressman Chaffetz in a Community College

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Quite the topic title, eh? :p

Tonight, Congressman Jason Chaffetz held a Town Hall Meeting at Salt Lake Community College in Taylorsville, and has another Town Hall Meeting scheduled for tomorrow night at Utah Valley University. I just found out about the meeting this morning. Had I known sooner, I probably would have posted it. The auditorium was not even half way filled. :(

Anyways, once I found out about the meeting, I decided to scurry up there with my GLOCK and voice recorder in tow, and nothing more. I entered the Technology Building Auditorium, and immediately was noticed by a Utah State Trooper. There were a few of them there, providing security I'm sure.

Congressman Chaffetz was standing at the entrance to the auditorium, greeting all who came to see him. I introduced myself, and shook his hand. We had exchanged a few emails while I was in Iraq, so I think he may have remembered me through mention of this website.

After meeting Jason, I took a seat in the center of the auditorium, in the back row. There is a walkway just behind the back row, and no sooner than when I sat down, a State Trooper stood fast against the wall directly to my rear. :?

The meeting started at 7 PM, and my Dad arrived late at about 7:30. He said the first thing he noticed was the Trooper parked right behind me. Jason talked and took questions until about 8:15, and then concluded. We got up to go meet Jason again, with the intent of taking a photo. But in true SGT Jensen fashion, I left my camera at home. :X

Luckily, my Dad was armed with his phone, equipped with a camera that rivals the image quality of the Hubble Space Telescope. As we were waiting our turn to speak with the Congressman, I noticed that the Trooper finally decided that I was not a threat, and he left the auditorium. I later noticed that the Troopers left in their cars as I was exiting the building.

I was fully prepared for "an encounter", but much to my satisfaction, the professionalism of the Utah State Troopers shined through. There were at least two of them there, and neither one of them said a word to me or my Dad. My GLOCK was fully loaded, in spite of what the Attorney General has told some instutitions, and I had no ID or permit in my possession.

Please forgive the image quality, as I assure you my GLOCK 35 is resting comfortably next to my elbow. This photo is a small bit of proof that there is a shred of common sense left in the U.S. House of Representatives. Honestly, how many people (non-LEO) out there have a photo of themselves visibly armed with their Congressman, in a public college, and neither the State Police nor the Congressman or his staff threw a hissy fit? ;)

0216002030.jpg
town-hall-meetings-this-week.shtml

mqondo

imported post

That's awesome! So you had your Glock and your voice recorder and nothing else? Good thing your dad took a photo from the waist up then. :what: Ha!:p

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mqondo wrote:
That's awesome! So you had your Glock and your voice recorder and nothing else? Good thing your dad took a photo from the waist up then. :what: Ha!:p
...der :banghead: I just now got the joke! :lol:

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Interesting. What is the purpose of going without ID?

Under Utah law, a college campus is a gun free zone and so a permit to carry is required. While there is no requirement to have the permit on your person, nothing prevents the police from asking for the permit and then taking a reasonable amount of time to verify you have one.

Now, that all said, I'm not at all surprised about your non-interaction with the UHP and especially any assigned to what amounts to protective details. In the time I've spent at the capital I've never had a problem with UHP. They tend to do their job of assessing and mitigating risks in about as low-key, non-intrusive manner as possible.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
I'm not at all surprised about your non-interaction with the UHP and especially any assigned to what amounts to protective details. In the time I've spent at the capital I've never had a problem with UHP. They tend to do their job of assessing and mitigating risks in about as low-key, non-intrusive manner as possible.
I couldn't agree more. The UHP has always been professional and non-intrusive with me, whether it be at the State Capitol, a school, or elsewhere. :)

In my experience, it is the the Sheriff's Deputies and local police officers that have been less than an exceptional. :?

mqondo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
mqondo wrote:
...der  :banghead:  I just now got the joke!  :lol:
That's just funny. :p

Rottie

imported post

I am not surprised by the troopers professionalism. Some troopers will disagree with the idea of open carry, but most will at least treat you with respect and dignity:). They all seem to get it while a few city cops have trouble getting all necessary neurons to fire with correct timing:banghead:.I think most cops though recognize our right to open carry, and no longer feel the need to challenge citizens to preserve a false sense of privilege that they are the only ones allowed to be visibly armed.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Interesting. What is the purpose of going without ID?

Under Utah law, a college campus is a gun free zone and so a permit to carry is required. While there is no requirement to have the permit on your person, nothing prevents the police from asking for the permit and then taking a reasonable amount of time to verify you have one.
...and I was ready to sit there for that reasonable amount of time if they wanted to figure out if I was legal or not, but it never came to that. :)

Shawn summed it up very well over on UCC, he always has a way of putting my actions into words. :p

swillden wrote:
This is very much another "a right unexercised is a right lost" idea. In theory we are not obligated to provide identity documents to authority except in certain situations. Walking down the street (or going to a political event) are not such situations. Not even when armed.

The problem is that we have been conditioned to be compliant to authority, and not to assert the rights that we have. For their part, police officers are equally conditioned to expect that when they ask for ID, it will be provided. Sgt. Jensen wishes to chip away at that conditioning by standing on his rights, and the best way to avoid providing ID, without lying about it or being non-cooperative, is simply not to have it with you.

The hoped-for result is that the officer will lose a little of his expectation that citizens will provide identity documentation, and that he'll realize that stopping an open carrier to ask for it doesn't really accomplish anything. Ideally, he'll be told by his supervisor that he should have just observed rather than making the stop to begin with.

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I was fully prepared for "an encounter", but much to my satisfaction, the professionalism of the Utah State Troopers shined through.
0216002030.jpg
town-hall-meetings-this-week.shtml
:celebrateUtah:celebrateUtah:celebrate

I had a couple from Brooklyn, NY in my last CFP course the Husband told me when discussing gun ownership in Utah he said; "Freedom!" I love Utah and we are so glad to have left the "Nanny State!"

We take pride in Utah, but let's be thankful for what we have here as far as our 2nd Amendment Rights and let's always stand at watch and never let those "nannies" have a place in our Great State of Utah!

Go to the next meeting and get a full view photo of your gun.