Thread: Clearing the air about Starbucks

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

I've been seeing a lot of posts lately, commenting on how Starbucks supports OC and the 2nd Amendment. If you look at the statement that Starbucks released to the public they never ONCE said that they support the 2nd Amendment. Although it can be implied that they do, it's not a given. They may disagree with our interpretation of the 2nd Amendment as much as I dislike flag burning, which is covered under the 1st Amendment.

What they HAVE said is that they refuse to discriminate against a law abiding citizen. As long as it's legal, guess you can do it at Starbucks. This was purely a business decision. It's the $$$ speaking and nothing else unless Starbucks comes out with a statement expressly supporting the 2nd Amendment and OC. We are fortunate that this business decision works in our favor.

ETA: I hate it when I mess up the tagline.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

they know that following state law in re carrying guns, supports the 2A, sect 1 art 24 and LAW ENFORCEMENT!
    it is the easyest way to answer and its the most straight to the point answer to a complex delemma!
    with and/or without fighting the brady bunch they are drawing the line in the sand that is as simple as it is direct!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

They could have said "It's legal whether we like it or not. It would be fiscally foolish in these perilous economic times for us to turn away a customer who isn't breaking any laws."

Same thing.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Bookman makes some good points.

Many of us might be assuming too much. I for one am glad they didn't go the way of Pete's or California Kitchen Pizza.

It does say something to me that being private property they could just have easily caved to Brady Campaign but didn't. They are very smart and business savy may have simply crunched the numbers and decided it is better for their bottom line not to ban gun carriers. I still am glad and will support their decision to do so even if it wasn't based on support of 2A and gun owners but based on bottom line. And maybe other businesses will follow their example simply because it is better for their books.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

+1. They welcome us into their store, and they treat us no different than anyone else. That's really all I want: Just treat me like you treat everyone else, and leave me alone.

Post imported post

I'd start believing that Starbucks actually supports 2A and gun owners rights when I see their name listed as a donor to the NRA, 2A Foundation, and others.

In the meantime I might buy a cup of their coffee now and then although the first one that says I can't carry there will be selling their last cup to me. Maybe we could get the LEO's that support our rights (like most do) to buy their coffee elsewhere when that happens.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

State Researcher

Post imported post

Bingo. Starbucks supports your wallet. They don't care as long as you aren't breaking any laws. I mentioned this before, that all this big "starbucks loves gun owner" crap will just put them between a rock and a hard place. They sell coffee, not politics.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I just had this conversation with some folks in Starbucks today.
    I told them I am not going to say Starbucks is pro 2A but am glad they are choosing not to discriminate against me because I am. Even if it just for their bottom line.

I am going to say thought that the majority of Starbucks employees that I have had conversations with have been supportive and friendly to me and my openly carrying of a firearm.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

It could also have some "small" thing to do with the HUGE difference of stores that they each hold.

Starbucks - 16000+ stores around the world.

Peet's Coffee and Tea - 57 stores (38 of which are in California)

Peet's understands where its customer base is, and can afford to tip its hand to them. In-fact, they may consider that they cant afford NOT to give to what they see as their primary clientele.

Starbucks knows it doesn't stay in business long by getting involved in politics, especially by taking sides in Constitutional politics in the US. They have much more to gain by just staying out of it.

Edit:

Personally, I don't care for most of their coffee, but I love their original logo and company name. I don't really have too much love for companies that shed their heritage for political correctness.

O well, its their business, but its my pallet.

Post imported post

You have hit the nail on the head ajetpilot bye the way I saw our new and upcoming freind charles at the Port Orchard S.B again said to tell all hello
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Post imported post

Excellent. I hope he starts carrying. He's a nice gent.

Post imported post

Here's the reply I received from them when I sent a note thanking them for not banning lawful activity. As you'll see, it's perfectly generic and suitable as a response to someone pro or anti civil rights:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.
    For Starbucks, the safety of our customers and partners is a paramount concern. We will continue to adhere closely to local, state and federal laws and the counsel of law enforcement regarding this issue. We have existing security protocols in place to handle situations related to safety in our stores.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Warm Regards,

Alyssa R.
    Customer Relations
    Starbucks Coffee Company
    800 23-LATTE (235-2883)
    Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM (PST)

I suspect that their "protocols" consist of screaming like little girls in panic, but whatever works for them, eh?